PDA

View Full Version : planning to buy a laptop, which brand do you recommend?

abuzakour
November 4th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Hi,

I am planning to buy a small laptop (new or second hand, I haven't decided yet) and I will be installing unbuntu on it.

I just want to make sure that the manufacturer supports linux and i won't find difficulty finding the drivers.

Which brand do you recommend?

:)

aysiu
November 5th, 2009, 01:11 AM
It really has more to do with the components inside the laptop than the brand.

But you're going to generally find more compatible components in a Thinkpad or HP than in a Sony Vaio or Macbook.

If you're really worried, you can buy Linux preinstalled:
http://lxer.com/module/db/index.php?dbn=14

SomeGuyDude
November 5th, 2009, 01:15 AM
HP's Pavilion line has always been perfect for me. As long as it's all Intel parts.

SunnyRabbiera
November 5th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I have had good luck with HP, Dell and the occasional Toshiba

Arup
November 5th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Apart from pre-installed System 76, the other good ones are SONY Vaio, Toshiba, Lenovo, ASUS and Panasonic, all are solidly built laptops there.

aysiu
November 5th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Apart from pre-installed System 76, the other good ones are SONY Vaio, Toshiba, Lenovo, ASUS and Panasonic, all are solidly built laptops there.
Sony Vaio, really?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/SonyVGN-SR19VN

Seems to have nothing but problems.

lisati
November 5th, 2009, 01:23 AM
My own experience is with two different Toshiba laptops. My old machine ran "Feisty" (7.04) well. Jaunty (9.04) works well on my current machine, but I haven't had the chance to properly investigate Karmic (9.10) yet - preliminary checks running it from a usb drive in "Live CD" mode suggests I might need to do a bit of work.

Arup
November 5th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Sony Vaio, really?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/SonyVGN-SR19VN

Seems to have nothing but problems.

I have a ancient Vaio which is around eight years old running on Xubuntu nicely. Issues are not preventable when running Linux and that goes for any hardware, SONY isn't an exception. However as you can see in the chart there, Karmic takes care of most of the issues. If we are to make an incompatibility chart, all the brands would have a long list.

lisati
November 5th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I have a ancient Vaio which is around eight years old running on Xubuntu nicely. Issues are not preventable when running Linux and that goes for any hardware, SONY isn't an exception. However as you can see in the chart there, Karmic takes care of most of the issues. If we are to make an incompatibility chart, all the brands would have a long list.

Slightly off topic: apparently there's some kind of recall on AC adapters for Vaios at the moment. http://www.consumer.org.nz/recalls/view/vaio-ac-adaptors

My experience of Sony products (mainly camcorders) is that in general they are good.

kyuubi777
November 5th, 2009, 01:39 AM
running a lenovo- used 9.04 and now on 9.10... both have worked like a charm .. but then, my laptop is about 3 years old now- 3000 n100 model :( low specs :(

Arup
November 5th, 2009, 01:42 AM
http://data-voice-solutions.tmcnet.com/topics/business-continuity/articles/56263-hp-recalls-70000-laptop-batteries.htm

HP recall.

http://www.chinacsr.com/en/2009/10/14/6312-acer-recalls-substandard-laptop-computers/

Acer recall

List goes on, there is Dell, Toshiba and others as well, in general as for quality, SONY is quite good up there in top.

Sealbhach
November 5th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I just bought this the other day. Ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220504901416)

What I do as part of the buying decision is to search the Google for:

linux Dell D600

ubuntu Dell D600

and look to see if people are reporting problems or success. As far as I know, HP, Compaq and Dells are very good for Linux compatibility, but always do a bit of research on the particular brand and model.

aysiu
November 5th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Issues are not preventable when running Linux and that goes for any hardware That's not true.

Ubuntu ran perfectly on my old Dell Inspiron 500m.

It ran extremely well (minor fixes for hotkeys) on my Eee PC 701.

And it runs perfectly (had to enable Broadcom proprietary drivers through System > Administration > Hardware Drivers) on my HP Mini 1120nr right now.

cprofitt
November 5th, 2009, 02:06 AM
T-series Thinkpads.

Make use of your 'student' discount (http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/k12/StdAffinityPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:expandcategory?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=8FA114A7D9FF4F38AE8E19B36EC665A7).

jrusso2
November 5th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I have had good luck with my T series Thinkpad it runs Intel wireless and Intel video.

johnboy1313
November 5th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I got a Vaio and Ubuntu has ran flawlessly on it

Xbehave
November 5th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Not cheap acer aspires (in particular not acer aspire 5100), it doesn't have any linux problems it just crashes if you move it!

Tipped OuT
November 5th, 2009, 02:43 AM
HP or Toshiba.

kavon89
November 5th, 2009, 02:45 AM
If you can afford it and don't mind the non-flashy looks, get a ThinkPad. Otherwise, anything but Acer, Compaq, or Gateway.

Tipped OuT
November 5th, 2009, 02:47 AM
If you can afford it and don't mind the non-flashy looks, get a ThinkPad. Otherwise, anything but Acer, Compaq, or Gateway.

+1 Horrible stuff.

LunaticHiatus
November 5th, 2009, 02:48 AM
http://www.zareason.com/shop/home.php

ZaReason is fully supported and comes with ubuntu preinstalled

witeshark17
November 5th, 2009, 02:48 AM
My bro runs Ubuntu on a Toshiba, and I run it on a Dell. Both are running great.

Cuddles McKitten
November 5th, 2009, 02:52 AM
I can add another voice to the http://www.system76.com crowd. Mine has performed quite admirably in the line of duty, and it's very, very shiny.

chriskin
November 5th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Hi,

I am planning to buy a small laptop (new or second hand, I haven't decided yet) and I will be installing unbuntu on it.

I just want to make sure that the manufacturer supports linux and i won't find difficulty finding the drivers.

Which brand do you recommend?

:)

Fujitsu Siemens gives excellent models on reasonable prices, even though it has a simplistic design
the screen is really resistant to fingerprints as well :)

Tipped OuT
November 5th, 2009, 02:53 AM
That's not true.

It ran extremely well (minor fixes for hotkeys) on my Eee PC 701.

And it runs perfectly (had to enable Broadcom proprietary drivers through System > Administration > Hardware Drivers) on my HP Mini 1120nr right now.

Aren't those issues? lol

Like he said, no hardware can run just 100% perfect on Linux OR Windows for that matter.

aysiu
November 5th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Aren't those issues? lol

Like he said, no hardware can run just 100% perfect on Linux OR Windows for that matter.
No, they're not.

And thanks for selectively quoting out the Dell Inspiron 500m, which ran perfectly without even any minor tweaks.

I'd hardly consider, though, going to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers a biggie compared to all the backflips that are necessary to get Ubuntu "working" on a Sony Vaio.

LunaticHiatus
November 5th, 2009, 02:59 AM
asus 1000he netbook here.
ubuntu works flawlessly.
so :P

kyuubi777
November 5th, 2009, 03:35 AM
running a lenovo- used 9.04 and now on 9.10... both have worked like a charm .. but then, my laptop is about 3 years old now- 3000 n100 model :( low specs :(

anyway, it's always a good sign when your computer shows up on the ubuntu website in the middle of the main page for the new 9.10 distro :D;)

Tipped OuT
November 5th, 2009, 03:38 AM
No, they're not.

And thanks for selectively quoting out the Dell Inspiron 500m, which ran perfectly without even any minor tweaks.

I'd hardly consider, though, going to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers a biggie compared to all the backflips that are necessary to get Ubuntu "working" on a Sony Vaio.

I quoted it out because I wasn't talking about that?

And you may consider that not to be an issue, but others may.

aysiu
November 5th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I quoted it out because I wasn't talking about that?

And you may consider that not to be an issue, but others may.
You said Like he said, no hardware can run just 100% perfect on Linux OR Windows for that matter.

And if you make an absolutely statement like no hardware can, then all you need is one counter-example to blow it out of the water. And that counter-example was the Dell Inspiron 500m. It was exactly what you were talking about. You just chose to ignore it in order to make your statement seem more credible.

Tipped OuT
November 5th, 2009, 04:07 AM
You said Like he said, no hardware can run just 100% perfect on Linux OR Windows for that matter.

And if you make an absolutely statement like no hardware can, then all you need is one counter-example to blow it out of the water. And that counter-example was the Dell Inspiron 500m. It was exactly what you were talking about. You just chose to ignore it in order to make your statement seem more credible.

Uh no, I didn't include it in the quote because I wasn't talking about that, I was talking particularly about your other two computers that you claim ran perfectly (but I had minor issues).

I'm not one of those guys who tries to act like a smart a55 on the Internet.

I do acknowledge, however, that I was wrong for saying that "Like he said, no hardware can run just 100% perfect on Linux OR Windows for that matter." because you DID say you had one computer that worked 100% perfect.

Okay? okay.

Lets move on. ;)

Duncan J Murray
November 5th, 2009, 04:18 AM
When I researched into buying a laptop 5 years ago this was the advice (from friends and the internet):

Laptops suffer from reliability problems more than desktops

Therefore prioritise reliability!

Good uns: Thinkpads, Dell Latitudes (and other 'pro' ranges), HP Compaq, Toshiba Tecra, Acer, Fujitsu-Siemens and Macbook Pros (though don't know about linux).

Sony make good quality laptops, but they used to have a bad reputation for customer support.

My IBM thinkpad T40 still runs perfectly after nearly 6 years of constant use.

Duncan.

Grifulkin
November 5th, 2009, 04:31 AM
HP's Pavilion line has always been perfect for me. As long as it's all Intel parts.

For some reason I really despise Intel, and have only ever used AMD besides my netbook I got last Christmas which has an Atom in it.

Frak
November 5th, 2009, 04:33 AM
HP, Thinkpad (not just IBM, Thinkpad), and Macbooks. HP makes hardy laptops, IBM makes really, really good laptops, and Apple makes really innovative, hardy strong laptops.

Redache
November 5th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I have a Dell Studio 1535 that runs brilliantly under Karmic. The only weirdness was with the Wireless drivers refusing to install (I kept trying until they finally installed). Mine was upgraded with the Dell 1510 Wireless N Mini Half Card though, which does have decent drivers for Linux.

The only real bugbear is that the ATI drivers aren't the fastest but they run fine (the GPU is an ATI Radeon Mobility HD3450).

Even the touch buttons are mapped properly!.

The only button that doesn't work is the Wireless Catcher on the hinge, but I have never used that so eh, not an issue.

I'd recommend looking at the newer model Dell Studios as you can get certain models with Ubuntu pre-installed.

witeshark17
November 5th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Installing 9.10, more to come