PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installed with a broken battery, now that I have my new one...

mushwars
November 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I installed ubuntu 9.10 Beta with a battery that was broken, my bios didnt even recognize the battery. I just recently got a new working battery. However ubuntu does not recognize that new battery. So I have no power saving options for battery and no notification of a low battery. It stinks when I am working on something and all of a sudden my computer turns off. Please, can anyone tell me what I need to install/configure for my laptop battery?

Dell Inspiron B130
Ubuntu 9.10 Full release (updated)

viper250
November 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM
on istallation of a new battery in any inspiron or lattitude you need to run the calibration utility you can find it in the bios setup menu. once calibration has been run your bios should recognize the battery and ubuntu should also recognize the battery because unless something has been changed in ubuntu i believe most linux programs read the battery info from bios.:lolflag:

mushwars
November 4th, 2009, 08:11 PM
you are right. My bios says that no battery is installed. But it is, I can unplug my computer and it works :-/

I looked everywhere in the bios for a config utility. But there was none. I might try to look again.

Thanks for the hot tip bro.

james_bandido
January 2nd, 2010, 10:02 AM
having a battery issue also (using ibm thinkpad r50e), saying my battery is not working (btw, using karmic fresh installation).

i looked around on how to recalibrate the batt since there is no utility in the laptop bios and i tumbled upon this .. http://tuxmobil.org/mobile_battery.html ... hope this helps those having battery calibration problems like me ...

happy new year peeps !!!