PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Problems installing or running from CD

JamesDC
November 4th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hello all,

I am a fairly novice Linux user, and I am investigating using it for a small embedded project. I am trying to install the latest version of xbuntu on a small barebones system using a mini-itx Via VX800 with a Nano Processor and 1gb of ram.

I have tried just about every distribution I can find (Ubuntu 9.04, Kubuntu net book, Xbuntu 9.10) and all seem to lockup somewhere in the boot-up process. Depending on if I disable HPET in the bios, I get a bit further, and the furthest I have gotten was disabling the Cache, but things go painfully slow at that point.

Trying to run Xbuntu 9.10 off of the distribution cd I use the following options (this seemed to be the least offensive)

file=/cdrom/pressed/xbuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz acpi=off noapic nolapic ide=nodma splash --

and I get a ton of stuff that I cant find a good way to capture, but this is the last couple of lines:

[2.505608] io scheduler deadline registered
[2.505719] io scheduler cfg registered (default)
[2.505802] pci 0000:00:02.0: disabling DAC on VIA PCI bridge
and I am frozen

if I try the standard
file=/cdrom/pressed/xbuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz splash --
I get:
[0.219783] NetLabel: unlabeled traffic allowed by default
[0.219870] hpet0: at MMIO 0xfe800000, IRQs 2, 8, 0
[0.220089] hpet0: 3 comparators, 32-bit 14.318180 MHz counter
and I am frozen

I am currently trying to transition this system off of windows NT, so I can run some utilitys on the box to check for things.

Thanks,
-James