PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do I need to back-up my files before I upgrade? [Noob]

opower95
November 4th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Looks like Ubuntu has finally decided to agree with me and upgrade without any problems :D. When the upgrade is finished and my computer reboots, will all of my files be gone?

Also, how do I know whether or not "community maintained software" is enabled?
Thank you.

Sunflower1970
November 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM
It's always a good idea to make sure to back up your files before an upgrade, clean install, etc. You never know what may happen.

For the repos, look in Synaptic. System-->Administration-->Synaptic Package Manger.

When Synaptic opens up, (and I'm not on Ubuntu at the moment--doing this from memory), up at the top, under 'Settings' look for Repositories. Open it up, and one of the tabs will show you what repos are enabled or not. Just check the ones you want enabled, and uncheck the ones you don't want enabled.

egwest
November 4th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Looks like Ubuntu has finally decided to agree with me and upgrade without any problems :D. When the upgrade is finished and my computer reboots, will all of my files be gone?

Also, how do I know whether or not "community maintained software" is enabled?
Thank you.

Backing up your personal files is highly recommended, if the upgrade fails to take fully, you may have to do a complete fresh install.
I have an external hard drive that I use to backup all my personal files/folders to when doing an upgrade.

howefield
November 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Also just to say, that backing up files is not just a good idea at upgrade time. It should be part of your ongoing computing strategy.

As more of your life goes digital, there is an ever growing requirement to have a robust backup schedule.

rich97
November 4th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I believe Ubuntu Karmic had upgrade software built in? No?

Maheriano
November 4th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Ya I back up my files regularly. I'm actually in the process of setting up a scheduler to back up my files every 2-3 days so I don't lose anything in case of a crash. My next step from there is to either do a second backup on a remote server or to back up onto an external drive which I keep in a safety deposit box in case my house burns down.

Anyway, you might also want to consider splitting your partitions if you're going to do an install to the newest version. If you have a separate /home and / partition then it is very unlikely that an upgrade will even touch those partitions and those files should be fine.