PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What happens after a Wubi Installation is uninstalled?

mahela007
November 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I would like to know what changes happen in the computer after a wubi installation of ubuntu has been uninstalled...

mobilediesel
November 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I would like to know what changes happen in the computer after a wubi installation of ubuntu has been uninstalled...

Since wubi really only installs a folder in the Windows filesystem the only thing that happens when you uninstall is you'll have some disk space back.

The boot.ini file may still have an entry for Ubuntu but it can be edited to remove mention of Ubuntu.

mahela007
November 5th, 2009, 12:34 PM
So it doesn't format any partitions when it is intalled?

Bunnybugs
November 5th, 2009, 12:41 PM
No, it makes a file that Ubuntu will see as your filesystem, you windows partitions can be mounted in ubuntu....

If you remove Wubi, all that happens is removing the whole booting stuff that Wubi created, your BIOS won recognize ubuntu anymore, so it won't ask you to boot ubuntu, or another OS...

(I've started using Ubuntu with Wubi, but the clean install works much better, Widdows slows your computer down, and it's a viral bucket)

jmarcoscano
March 14th, 2010, 07:22 AM
hello i have a problem after uninstalling wubi from windows7, i assigned to the instalation 30GB, but after uninstallation i cant recover my 30 GB...!!!!

garvinrick4
March 14th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Just make sure you uninstall from Wubi folder in C: and not using Add and Remove programs. You can look in 7's bootmanager to see if there is a wubi left by Code: bcdedit at command line in Windows.
It can be deleted simply if it is left after uninstall. Google there are a lot of links to deleting in bcdedit.

To check filesystem in Windows:

Run chkdsk /f

hit y

reboot

Next:

defrag your Windows a time or two.

Next:

Check in C: in Windows right next to Users and make sure Ubuntu folder is gone.

All these are just maintinance if uninstalled correctly there should be no Wubi folder left and or problem with disk space.
But they should be run.

Mark Phelps
March 14th, 2010, 09:23 PM
If you don't want to mess with hand-editing the BCD (and I can understand folks being nervous about that ...), you should download and install EasyBCD from the NeoSmart Technology forums. Be sure to get the latest (v2 Beta bld82) version.

That will allow you to remove BCD entries by selecting them using a pulldown.