PDA

View Full Version : Windows

Netisan
February 16th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I'm reading the pool What kind of Linux user.. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=130029) and I notice that Windows avocates in fact are dependent on particular software that runs under Windows.
Personally, I MUST use Windows @ work. But it doesn't mean I like it.
MicroSoft had and has stolen each innovative idea and has sold it to as all in Windows-Fiesta pack.
In my case, I'd compare my bosses to people who know that Mercedes is a good car, expensive car, and a mark of success. They pay, and they rely on the Brand. They believe, the Brand is a magic which resolves everything. But..
In fact there are lots of problems within Windows itself. It's not the case to comlain of Linux incompatibility.
Sorry. Too long.

skierkegaard
February 16th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I think it is a common thought amongst business people that good products must be paid for. If its free, it can't be any good. Or, if its free, no one will help when it breaks.

DirtDawg
February 17th, 2006, 12:40 AM
My girlfriend heads local campaigns here in Oregon/Washington. The candidate she works for now is trying to convince the County to switch to Open Source whenever possible. They've calculated that using OpenOffice, among others, will save the County around $THREE MILLION$ in liscensing fees. :shock: The biggest hangup so far is no compatible Access program. Openoffice isn't always reliable at opening databases created in Access. Washington may have problems with this approach as well due to Microsoft Headquarters. But it seems like businesses would at least look at the bottom line for applications like these. I don't get it.
Anyway, just thought I'd share.