PDA

View Full Version : adobe-flash plugin broken and unable to fix

kitchenguy
November 4th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Hello,

I am running Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook remix on an Acer aspire one. Running an install of adobe flash player direct from the deb package on their website has failed and now I am unable to get into synaptic or use apt-get in terminal.

I have tried :

sudo apt-get install-f
sudo apt-get purge adobe-flashplugin
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoremove adboe-flashplugin
sudo apt-get remove adobe-flashplugin

each time you run thiese commands you get something like:

elisa@Zennie:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: The package adobe-flashplugin needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

Same output for purge, auto remove, remove etc.

Tried a manual reinstall but now saying I do not have access to run the deb file.

Can anyone help please?

By the way - massive vote of thanks to the people that made the netbook remix distribution happen - astonishingly good os!!):P

mac9416
November 4th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Howdy there!

You can uninstall adobe-flashplugin, and install the flashplugin-nonfree with these commands:

$ sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/adobe-flashplugin.prerm # Deletes a troublesome config file
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure adobe-flashplugin --force # Force-reconfigures adobe-flashplugin
$ sudo dpkg --purge --force-all adobe-flashplugin # Force-removes adobe-flashplugin
$ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree # Installs flashplayer the easy way

Good luck!

kitchenguy
November 5th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Hello Mac9416,

Thank you very much - it worked a treat. All fixed.

Much appreciated!

QIII
November 5th, 2009, 12:27 AM
If you continue to have flash problems, you may want to uninstall swfdec and gnash.

They conflict with flash.

nairarunraj
November 5th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I am facing the following error:

E: The package adobe-flashplugin needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
E: Internal error opening cache (1). Please report.

I am also not able to open the synaptics package manager because of this error...

Please help me out

Thanks.

daveandsheripetersen
November 5th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I was having the same problems as you. I did copy and paste the from Mac 9416 and it works fine now.

Dave

jimgeiser
November 5th, 2009, 05:08 AM

I am also not able to open the synaptics package manager because of this error...

Please help me out

Thanks.
I am having same problem. I have tried everything and it says I have to re install adobe, but I have tried this, tried what was suggested above and it did not work. Is there a way to go into the folder and remove it? I tried that and it says I do not have permission.

c_ogden99
November 5th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Howdy there!

You can uninstall adobe-flashplugin, and install the flashplugin-nonfree with these commands:

$ sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/adobe-flashplugin.prerm # Deletes a troublesome config file
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure adobe-flashplugin --force # Force-reconfigures adobe-flashplugin
$ sudo dpkg --purge --force-all adobe-flashplugin # Force-removes adobe-flashplugin
$ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree # Installs flashplayer the easy wayGood luck!

Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to liniux, I have got a Acer Aspire Revo which I decided to go with Linux on and Ubuntu. I did all the updates like it said when I installed it, And then like everyone else with the flash problem I have read went to ....... YOUTIBE lol and tried installing flash, Now I have all these problems and It wont let me install any thing I just get the error message about flash.

Now I dont know how or where to remove the plugins manually like it suggests also thje above code's to put in the terminal, I dont get how it works

You put it in and press enter I geuss, but then all I get is:

[sudo] password for callum:

CAllum being my name, I'm sort of stuck hope someone can help lol

Thanks

Also I get this when I try to install the flashplugin-nonfree package.

mac9416
November 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM

Please help me out

Thanks.

Did you try the commands I suggested? If so, what was the output?

I am having same problem. I have tried everything and it says I have to re install adobe, but I have tried this, tried what was suggested above and it did not work. Is there a way to go into the folder and remove it? I tried that and it says I do not have permission.

Could you post the output of the commands I suggested? You can run 'gksu nautilus' if you want to remove /var/lib/dpkg/info/adobe-flashplugin.prerm using the file browser, but I would recommend using the command I gave instead.

Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to liniux, I have got a Acer Aspire Revo which I decided to go with Linux on and Ubuntu. I did all the updates like it said when I installed it, And then like everyone else with the flash problem I have read went to ....... YOUTIBE lol and tried installing flash, Now I have all these problems and It wont let me install any thing I just get the error message about flash.

Now I dont know how or where to remove the plugins manually like it suggests also thje above code's to put in the terminal, I dont get how it works

You put it in and press enter I geuss, but then all I get is:

[sudo] password for callum:

CAllum being my name, I'm sort of stuck hope someone can help lol

Thanks

Also I get this when I try to install the flashplugin-nonfree package.

Welcome to Ubuntu!

When it says "[sudo] password for callum:", type your password and hit Enter. You will not see the password as you type for security reasons, but it is being entered.

You will only be able to install flashplugin-nonfree after you run the first three commands.

Now, y'all keep in mind that flashplugin-nonfree is only for 32-bit Ubuntu. If any of y'all have 64-bit, I will give you the instructions for installing then.

c_ogden99
November 5th, 2009, 03:19 PM

Could you post the output of the commands I suggested? You can run 'gksu nautilus' if you want to remove /var/lib/dpkg/info/adobe-flashplugin.prerm using the file browser, but I would recommend using the command I gave instead.

Welcome to Ubuntu!

When it says "[sudo] password for callum:", type your password and hit Enter. You will not see the password as you type for security reasons, but it is being entered.

You will only be able to install flashplugin-nonfree after you run the first three commands.

Now, y'all keep in mind that flashplugin-nonfree is only for 32-bit Ubuntu. If any of y'all have 64-bit, I will give you the instructions for installing then.

Thanks a million it's worked, A little bit of help goes a long way. I only have 32-bit so it worked fine

Thanks for you help mate your a legend, have been pulling my hair out lol

Callum

mac9416
November 5th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Haha, thanks. I'm very glad it worked. Enjoy your new OS!

nairarunraj
November 5th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Quote:

Please help me out

Thanks.

[quote=mac9416;8248812]Did you try the commands I suggested? If so, what was the output?

i tried tat command earlier...
it says tat "command not found"

in fact when i tried sudo apt -get install install_flash_player_10.deb
it gave d same error "command not found"

mac9416
November 5th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Hey, nairarunraj,

Thanks for posting the output. It's very helpful.

Commands like 'apt-get' and 'dpkg-reconfigure' are all one "word" without spaces. Try it that way, and it should work.
Also, to install a .deb file from disk you will need to use the following command (assuming the file is in your home directory)...

$ sudo dpkg -i $HOME/install_flash_player_10.deb

However, I would recommend running the commands I gave above first.

Good luck!