PDA

View Full Version : I cleaned off my desk and guess what I found.

stuart.reinke
November 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Sunday I decided to clean off my desk. I had been a while and I thought it needed it.:D

At the very bottom of one pile I found my first Linux CD. It's a copy of Kubuntu 6.10. I bought it on Ebay about 3 years ago. Found it while searching for a used copy of Windows for my Dad's computer that he had just bought that didn't have an OS. I think I paid $7.00 for it.

At the time, I installed a dual boot on my computer and played with it for a while then ended up taking it off when I couldn't get .wmv files to play etc. If I had known about UF back then I might be going on 3 years without Windows, instead of only 6 months.

I thought about installing it again to play around with just for the fun of it. Would there be serious security risks to installing a 3 year old version of Kubuntu?

Anybody else find anything neat but basically useless when cleaning off their desk?

Screwdriver0815
November 4th, 2009, 03:14 PM
hehe nice! :D

just put it in a virtualbox and disable networking - security issue fixed ;)

I also have put my first Linux into virtualbox. It was Open Suse 10.1 and I have deleted it because of the same reasons as you have done it with Kubuntu 6.10 :D

But I returned back to Linux earlier :D

armageddon08
November 4th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Mine was Fedora 7. Got it from college. Abandoned it because of the same reasons(could not play mp3), saying "Windows Rox". Huh!

Muppeteer
November 4th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I came across some Red Hat 8 cd's that i burned 7 years ago....Threw them out though :p

koshatnik
November 4th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Anybody else find anything neat but basically useless when cleaning off their desk?

I found a camera lens once down the back of my desk. I usually just find old food left by my kids whilst they watch Youtube. Its always a delight to pick up a stiff half eaten jam sandwich from a stack of cds.

Tristam Green
November 4th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I threw away ten shipit 5.10 CDs, and six 6.06 shipit CDs, SuSE Professional 9.0 Suite, and numerous driver CDs, along with various dust bunnies last night.

Good times, good times.

xpod
November 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Nope.I keep my Desk immaculate.
Even if i did`nt i`d only have the wife doing it for me and i cant have her anywhere near computers with her tins of polish.....not again.

m4tic
November 4th, 2009, 03:53 PM
why did you order 10 shipit cd's?

ukripper
November 4th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Would there be serious security risks to installing a 3 year old version of Kubuntu?

Not recommended to install 6.10 as it has reached EOL long ago unless use for testing puposes only (but not as a main OS) and does pose a security risk as it won't receive regular security updates for old packages.

BTW, Fedora core 2 is still lurking around in my cd pouch.:-)

xpod
November 4th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Those old CD`s could come in handy for scraping gum from the bottom of that messy old Desk if nothing else.;)

~sHyLoCk~
November 4th, 2009, 04:02 PM
The oldest linux cd I have would be knoppix 1.4

ukripper
November 4th, 2009, 04:05 PM
The oldest linux cd I have would be knoppix 1.4

I do have that too. But as an archive to show my kids - And tell them, "That is what used to be my life saver"!:p

BTW, Is that your username from Merchant of Venice?

faller69
November 4th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Strangest one I found was a Corel Linux 1.0 that I thought, at the time I installed it, was a good start. Based on Debian if memory serves me right. Only release Corel did before selling it to those that would become XandrOS.

howefield
November 4th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Not long since got rid of my first Linux disk, twas a boxed copy of Mandrake 7.0, I think the reason I kept it so long was having paid for it, I didn't want to throw it away ;)

But it is binned and history now.

~sHyLoCk~
November 4th, 2009, 04:20 PM
BTW, Is that your username from Merchant of Venice?

Not really, it's a personal thing. people calls me shy and I was nick named in colg as shy and from there shylock...it's a boring story. I chose to stick with it for the lulz. :P

coolbrook
November 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I threw away ten shipit 5.10 CDs, and six 6.06 shipit CDs

My guess is that this is why people were shut out of receiving Karmic.

Tristam Green
November 18th, 2009, 02:24 PM
My guess is that this is why people were shut out of receiving Karmic.

heh, don't misinterpret that as "I ordered that many". I asked for one, they sent me that many.

That is why they had to leave some out of Shipit - it was being mismanaged.

coolbrook
November 18th, 2009, 03:18 PM
heh, don't misinterpret that as "I ordered that many". I asked for one, they sent me that many.

That is why they had to leave some out of Shipit - it was being mismanaged.

Fair enough. Why did you hang on to them?

Tristam Green
November 18th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Fair enough. Why did you hang on to them?

S's and G's? What was I going to do, ship them back?

I did have this grandiose plan to tack a bunch of CDs to my wall and make a big mirror with them, but I got lazy.

Also, if I hadn't held onto them, I couldn't now gripe about the mismanagement of a free shipping service for Operating System CDs.

coolbrook
November 18th, 2009, 03:36 PM
What was I going to do, ship them back?

There's always Craigslist's Computer or Free section to save the expense.

LinuxFanBoi
November 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I still have my copy of a slackware distro that my dad got me from a Computer show back in like 1996. I'm gonna have to dig it out and really take a look at how far Linux has come since then. Back then, not having any internet access but dial up on a slow *** 28.8 modem. Most of my time was spent reading man pages trying to figure out this very foreign (to me)OS. Other than man pages, My only other resources for info was what I could find at the library, small towns in Iowa didn't have Public Internet access at the time. One day I got my modem to finally connect to my ISP. Whoo hoo! My how far we have come.

Tristam Green
November 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM
There's always Craigslist's Computer or Free section to save the expense.

For notoriously old versions of the OS. Right. I think I'll Craigslist my still-fresh copy of Windows 98SE that I have sitting on my desk.

coolbrook
November 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
For notoriously old versions of the OS. Right. I think I'll Craigslist my still-fresh copy of Windows 98SE that I have sitting on my desk.
You could've done it when you first got them. Anyways, I didn't come here to single you out. I did a search on 'shipit' and forgot about this browser window. When I came back, I thought it was a thread from page 1. What you want to do with your property isn't my business.

Tristam Green
November 18th, 2009, 04:26 PM
You could've done it when you first got them. Anyways, I didn't come here to single you out. I did a search on 'shipit' and forgot about this browser window. When I came back, I thought it was a thread from page 1. What you want to do with your property isn't my business.

Right on, no harm no foul.