PDA

View Full Version : enlightened ubuntu (ebuntu) released soon

Lambert
February 16th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I've seen this around the forums in the past and guess it's here now.

More information here.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ebuntu

briancurtin
February 16th, 2006, 06:02 PM
im probably alone on this but i really think there should just be one "ubuntu" which gives you the opportunity to choose GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Enlightenment, etc

pretty soon you will have conversations like this...
dude: so which one did you say you used?
you: i use ebuntu man
dude: ubuntu? i thought kubuntu?
you: nah man E-buntu
dude: are you sure, i thought it was xubuntu maybe, or bubuntu, or obuntu
you: jeez i dont even know, theres so many of them that you might be right

ShanghaiTeej
February 16th, 2006, 06:03 PM
That sounds pretty cool. Although, they only mention a liveCD. Does that imply that packages to install e17 will be released along with the liveCD?

Alpha_toxic
February 16th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Off Topic: Lambert have you noticed that you have exactly 1000 posts?
cheers ;)

EDIT: Past and gone...

Brunellus
February 16th, 2006, 06:16 PM
im probably alone on this but i really think there should just be one "ubuntu" which gives you the opportunity to choose GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Enlightenment, etc

pretty soon you will have conversations like this...
dude: so which one did you say you used?
you: i use ebuntu man
dude: ubuntu? i thought kubuntu?
you: nah man E-buntu
dude: are you sure, i thought it was xubuntu maybe, or bubuntu, or obuntu
you: jeez i dont even know, theres so many of them that you might be right
...that would mean a multiple-CD install. Then we might as well change the name of the distro to "FEDORA" or "FEDEBIAN" or something.

briancurtin
February 16th, 2006, 06:20 PM
...that would mean a multiple-CD install. Then we might as well change the name of the distro to "FEDORA" or "FEDEBIAN" or something.
you could fit it onto 2 CDs, and go as far as saying "disc 1 is the ubuntu base install - gets you up and running in a GNOME environment" and "disc 2 contains a bit more packages, plus KDE, XFCE, [insert more here] as extras to be chosen at install if you want them instead."

if you can download one CD, you can download two.

ShanghaiTeej
February 16th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I agree that it is confusing, but I don't want to download multiple CDs....Maybe in the future, Ubuntu can provide a "table of contents" page that explains each version of Ubuntu and provide links to download them all. Then again, I think the related projects sidebar is ample enough.

wrtrdood
February 16th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I, for one, think this is great! I can't disagree with briancurtin's statement, though. Thing is, if you try to put all the possible WMs on a single CD you'll soon run out of room so it seems to me that this is a viable alternative. (unless you actually like having to D/L multiple CDs like Mandrive most of which won't even fit on a normal platter :P)

E17 can be a handful for the average user to build so this allows others to see where this project is going without all the hassle.