PDA

View Full Version : Sync Files from HTC Magic (Android) to Ubuntu over WiFi

abhiroopb
November 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I was wondering if anyone had found an app that could sync files wirelessly from the HTC Magic to a folder on my Ubuntu installation.

I would like this to be automatic (kind of like dropbox).

Any suggestions?

pwnst*r
November 4th, 2009, 03:15 PM
in before "OMG, write your own!!111"

but no sir, i've not found anything of the sort. was looking for a friend's HTC also.

abhiroopb
November 4th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Wish I was that talented.

I did find this (http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-pclin-afilesync-qExD.aspx) but not sure what to do with it!

steev182
November 4th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Could a terminal/ssh app and scp work for it? I just want a dropbox application to be written for Android :(

abhiroopb
November 5th, 2009, 03:43 AM
I know dropbox would be very very useful.

pwnst*r
November 5th, 2009, 03:47 AM
indeed it would

treesurf
November 5th, 2009, 09:15 AM
This works well for my HTC Hero. Doesn't do automatic sync, but it does allow wifi transferring of files/media/etc. Give it a shot and see if it works on your Magic:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=574677

abhiroopb
November 5th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Yes does work. The app is really cool. Very useful, thanks!

abhiroopb
November 5th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Is there anyway to add/remove files or browse the SDCard?

This seems more of a "media" app, as in to manage photos and music.

I am mainly looking for something with which I can send files to my phone with.

treesurf
November 5th, 2009, 11:25 AM
You're right it does not appear to do that. Sorry to lead you astray. I hadn't played with the app very much yet and assumed that it would do what it claims to do. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

If you find a better solution please let us know!

treesurf
November 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM
OK, I found an app in the Market called aFile. I tried the free version. It can transfer files to and from the SD card over wifi. It's not a great UI, and uploading is a pain, but it works. Give it a shot and let us know what you think.

sim-value
November 5th, 2009, 11:57 AM
You might want to try ES file Explorer

Its supports SAMBA file sharing you can copy/move and folder or files to/from your PC with it ...

treesurf
November 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM
That sounds much better. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

abhiroopb
November 5th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Yes I actually have afile. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to use it. It appears to be written by someone from Taiwan and much of the help files are in Chinese. If you could explain to me how to use it that would be great.

As for ES...how do I set up a samba share? Could you please point me to a good guide?

Thanks!

mainerror
October 21st, 2010, 12:51 PM
Nice revive- However Dropbox is available for Android too nowadays.

pwnst*r
October 21st, 2010, 02:35 PM
Nice revive- However Dropbox is available for Android too nowadays.

Too bad it only syncs one way.

piquat
March 9th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Samba!

It's an app in the market. Given the forum I'd have assumed it would be the first thing people would look for. It's the first thing I thought of.

It will share your SDcard with a user/pass. You enter a netbios name and it will appear in a network browser using that name as would any computer on a home network.

At that point it's just a matter of whatever sync program you'd like to use.

I think it may have been mentioned but I believe wifiexplorer will let you browse the SDcard from within an internet browser window.

There are others but I perfer Samba.

riffey#4
July 19th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I just found SMB plugin for Ghost Commander.
I was already using Ghost Commander, and now I can browse my network shares.