PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Which piece of hardware is the problem?

Ms_Angel_D
November 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Hey Guys,

I have an old Emachine T6420 That was working great for a while. From the time I got the computer, I would power it on the Fan would kick to high then settle down and continue loading. However Now when I power it on the fan kicks to high, and just stays on high. I have power lights on the front and stuff, it just doesn't load I get no emachine black screen or anything, just the fan on high until I power it off.

Which piece of hardware should I be looking at here at the problem child?

Here's the computer (http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=T%20Series&model=T6420) thanks so much in advance.

Angel

coffeecat
November 4th, 2009, 01:05 PM
This might seem counter-intuitive, but I would suggest the power supply unit as a possible problem. When they start to fail, they still put out enough power to power a few things, but there's not enough juice for the POST to complete. It sounds as though the PSU can run the fan (which doesn't take much current) and the lights, but not enough for the motherboard to completely power up for the POST to be run.

I offer this as a possibility - there could be many other causes. But if you can get hold of a working PSU, try swapping them. It's worth a try.

I used to have an eMachine once. Forgive me for saying this, but eMachines are at the - ahem - modest end of the market. The PSU is one of many components where a budget manufacturer really skimps on price and hence quality. Quality PSUs fail. Cheap ones fail quicker. The PSU in mine sounded like a particularly noisy vacuum cleaner so I changed it for that reason. But in another machine I had a PSU fail with very similar symptoms to yours: lights and other things working, but no bootup or VGA output.

Ms_Angel_D
November 4th, 2009, 01:16 PM
This might seem counter-intuitive, but I would suggest the power supply unit as a possible problem. When they start to fail, they still put out enough power to power a few things, but there's not enough juice for the POST to complete. It sounds as though the PSU can run the fan (which doesn't take much current) and the lights, but not enough for the motherboard to completely power up for the POST to be run.

Hi, and thanks for posting Coffeecat, right after posting I went a googling and came across a few forum posts on other sites where users had the same symptoms, they say it's the mobo, however having looked at what I got and the cost to replace any of the parts on this machine I'm starting wonder If I shouldn't just look a for a new no o/s system instead....

coffeecat
November 4th, 2009, 01:37 PM
they say it's the mobo

They could be right. The only reason I mention the PSU is that this is a very common problem and if you happen to have a working PSU in another machine, then it's worth trying a swap. But if not, probably not. You won't want to spend serious money on something that may or may not need replacing.

Good luck!