PDA

View Full Version : Well Done Karmic!

joeval
November 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I've seen a shed load of threads over the last few days complaining about how bad Karmic is/how Jaunty was better and so on...

The upgrade from 9.04 on my main laptop went smoothly, only one bug (and it isn't anything to worry about, just mildly annoying when I run the update manager), and now my laptop runs better than ever before.
Plus, I bought a netbook last year, tried 8.04, 9.04, Fedora, two versions of Mint, and now 9.10. Karmic is the only one where everything works perfectly, straight off the bat! Even internet works with the evil atheros card!

Am I the only one who thinks Karmic is actually damn nice?

Well Done to Karmic!

JayKay3000
November 4th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Quite a trouble free upgrade here.

Videos were showing blue but changed an option in totem and everything is all good though I automatically assumed it was the os fault.

I think I will do a clean install because I would prefer to start from a clean slate.

Infact, come to think of it. The only problem I have which I have and will continue to have in all(?) linux versions is the speedtoutch modem as used by tiscali but I plugged in my 16 port router, connected my folks laptop, put the modem in the laptop(runs win xp), shared the internet connection and though i'm probably using enough power to power a small village it does the job temporarily.

sjosul
November 4th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I agree.

I chose a fresh install on both my desktop and netbook (HP 2140) rather than upgrade. But everything works perfectly here.

pwnst*r
November 4th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I've seen a shed load of threads over the last few days complaining about how bad Karmic is/how Jaunty was better and so on...

The upgrade from 9.04 on my main laptop went smoothly, only one bug (and it isn't anything to worry about, just mildly annoying when I run the update manager), and now my laptop runs better than ever before.
Plus, I bought a netbook last year, tried 8.04, 9.04, Fedora, two versions of Mint, and now 9.10. Karmic is the only one where everything works perfectly, straight off the bat! Even internet works with the evil atheros card!

Am I the only one who thinks Karmic is actually damn nice?

Well Done to Karmic!

can you expand on the annoyance?

jonian_g
November 4th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Same here. Everything works perfectly (+ separate x screens work better than jaunty). I always do clean installs to avoid problems (same when I was using windows).

Till now I installed karmic on my desktop, on my brothers laptop, and on a friends desktop. I know from my friends that till now karmic works great on 2 laptops, 1 netbook and 2 desktops. So we are 6 people that are pretty happy with karmic.

koleoptero
November 4th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Everything works here too.

Screwdriver0815
November 4th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I have to apologise as I have bashed Karmic a bit because I thought it is not enough progress compared to Jaunty.

But yesterday I installed Kubuntu Karmic 64 bit on my Laptop and it runs great! The only thing I had to do was deleting this Ayatana-Envelope in the taskbar and ÁBlog...

One problem exists though: the login is going crazy sometimes. It just ignores that I need to type the password and ends up crashing when it starts to show the startup-screen.

so all in all: Karmic rocks!