PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Software Centre after Karmic upgrade

JorisGoudriaan
November 4th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 rather painlessly, but noticed in Karmic that I don't have either the old 'Add/Remove Programs' (logical), nor the newly advertised 'Software Centre'. And it isn't either in the 'Edit Menu' options unticked.

I am running Ubuntu Tweak, could there be a possible conflict? Or any ideas on how I can surface it/install it/etc?

tommcd
November 4th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 rather painlessly, but noticed in Karmic that I don't have either the old 'Add/Remove Programs' (logical), nor the newly advertised 'Software Centre'. And it isn't either in the 'Edit Menu' options unticked.
Open a terminal and run:

aptitude search software-center
to see if the Ubuntu Software Center is on your system. An "i" before the package name means it is installed. A "p" before the package name means it is purged (i.e., not installed). If you see a "B" before the package, that means it is broken or has broken dependencies that you will need to investigate.
If the software-center is not installed you can install it:

sudo apt-get install software-center
If it is on your system, see if you can run it from the terminal by typing software-center in the terminal.

I am running Ubuntu Tweak, could there be a possible conflict?
It has always been my belief that all these 3rd party repos and 3rd party, unofficial packages that people add to their systems are a big reason that so many people end up with problems after doing a dist-upgrade. They then often blame this on Ubuntu, when really the cause is something else on their system.
This is just my opinion though. It would be interesting to do a poll of people who had upgrade failures and see what unofficial packages and repos they may be using.
I am not familiar with Ubuntu Tweak. I had to google it to find out what it was.

sjosul
November 4th, 2009, 10:57 AM
right-click on "Applications" on the top left panel, and choose "edit menus". Put a tick next to "Ubuntu software center", which should show on the right panel.

JorisGoudriaan
November 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks tommcd, indeed it was installed but had to manually (i.e. add a new menu item as using the command 'software-center') add it to the menu!