PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading to 9.10 DOES NOT WORK!!!!

yorkshireflatcap
November 4th, 2009, 10:18 AM
All,

Please do not install 9.10 - I've tried for 3 hours to no avail. I cannot get into my file structure... The installation points to the incorrect partition. I have managed to run it once, but thats it - it fails to boot at all other times.

I have no alternative to see if I can revert back to the more stable version of 9.04.

If I do install 9.04 again by using a CD, will I risk losing all my documents, installed programs and other files that I have, or do I have to make a backup first?

Please help, as I'm pulling my hair out at the 9.10 upgrade!

Regards

John

dvlchd3
November 4th, 2009, 10:25 AM
You should ALWAYS backup your data before doing a dist upgrade/installation!

You may be able to recover your files by booting into the live CD.

I usually recommend (especially with 9.10) doing a fresh install when upgrading to a newer distribution. There are several items that cannot be upgraded through Synaptics, and several things can become broken very easily.

kyuubi777
November 4th, 2009, 10:25 AM
i gave up real quick on that one as well... ur best off with a fresh install... (just conjecture) but, i think what happens is i had 9.04 on an ext3 and 9.10 i believe requires ext4.. at least, it wouldn't let me use ext3 when i clean installed it... you might try booting in recovery mode and repair your files.. other than that, i don't know of any good hdd file recovery programs for ubuntu.. (i've just never needed to research that front)
sorry i can't help you.. i am not that experienced a user me-self

yorkshireflatcap
November 4th, 2009, 10:39 AM
You should ALWAYS backup your data before doing a dist upgrade/installation!

You may be able to recover your files by booting into the live CD.

I can get into the command prompt, not a problem backing up my home directory, but just wanting to know if I do a fresh install of 9.10 will I loose everything - installed programs etc...?

I've been a user since 8.04 and found the upgrades smooth and gentle.... leading me into a false sense of security.... BAMMM!! Thanks Canonical... Window users are certainly having a right 'ol s******!!

kyuubi777
November 4th, 2009, 10:43 AM
lol at least with the vista - 7 switch everyone was expecting it to fail like it did... i just love how Microcrap has stated that it is not on their priority list to solve the problem of endless boot cycle lmao!!!