PDA

View Full Version : How do you find the time to learn "everything you want in Ubuntu"?

mikodo
November 4th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Hello everyone,

Of course this is a rhetorical question. I'm new to computers and Ubuntu. I really love it! But in the last year of playing on my rig, (initially with Vista, but no more), I am letting other activities fall by the wayside, including some of my responsibilities. I'm a big person and have begun to attempt balance with "my playing" and the other stuff I need to attend to. Easier said than done though.

So, what works for you?

What guidelines do you attempt to apply in your life to remain balanced?

If this sounds too stupid to respond to; Just consider it the rant of a wannabe geek.

Thanks.

note32
November 4th, 2009, 10:04 AM
takes time something your not gonna learn over night you have to mess around with it for awhile. and when your encounter a problem look it up because in forums youll find some really useful info people have

Elfy
November 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM
moved to cafe

nhasian
November 4th, 2009, 10:15 AM
well your not going to be able to learn everything at once. just learn as you go. personally I like to read books so Ubuntu Unleashed really helped me. the great thing is there is so much documentation already out there on google and the forums. Wanna learn how to setup a DLNA server? web server? how to use the command line? How to setup your wifi adaptor? most likely a few choice words in google will yield the answer your looking for :)

Xbehave
November 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cautionary.png
xkcd (http://xkcd.com/456/) (cc-at-nc (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/))

how would i get alt text on the forums? it's "This really is a true story, and she doesn't know I put it in my comic because her wifi hasn't worked for weeks."

I have to admit linux is partly (like a tiny part the rest is sucking at chem) to blame for me failing uni. The best thing to do is have a TODO list, when you run into a cool thing you want to do/fix, that isn't urgent make a not/bookmark of it for the next time you have a few hours free (if you want to understand what your doing most things take at least an hour even if it's just 10 minutes of actually making changes)

ndefontenay
November 4th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I have been a heavy gamer and a happy kernel compiler and so on.
I've failed a class from computers and games.

So my advice to you is:
ALWAYS makes people a priority over anything computer.
Your friend invites you to have a drink, yet you have a WoW Raid tonight? Friends wins. The WoW guys are not friends. They won't be there when you mop because your chihuahua died.

ALWAYS makes anything social a priority: Volunteer for charity, a drummer/guitar/saxophone player in a band? Anything that makes you close to other people.

last but not least: ALWAYS / ALWAYS make your girlfriend a priority!!!

coolbrook
November 4th, 2009, 12:11 PM
You can always use Ubuntu to balance your life.

Evolution (http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/) is a good starting point if you want to work off of a schedule and reminders. It's pre-installed. Considering syncing these reminders with an online calendar and your mobile phone.

Do you have a notebook or netbook? Use one so you're not stuck at your desk. You can use spare time on the road to learn while you wait to meet up with others for social gathering or waiting for service. Put things into perspective when it comes to activities that are really worth your time.

Sealbhach
November 4th, 2009, 12:26 PM
So my advice to you is:
ALWAYS makes people a priority over anything computer.

That is good advice (which I don't follow myself).

sh4d0w808
November 4th, 2009, 12:47 PM
As somebody wrote, U cannot learn everything, but there could be problems and subjects which should be solved or known by yourself. When this happens, U will search for answers and if U don't close your eyes, U will find other topics, those could be interest for U also.

Look, I had an old Thinkpad, which cannot run an official *buntu because of lack of resources. I didn't plan to buy new parts for this machine for high prices, instead of this, I began to search the way to stripe Ubuntu. I tried to remove unnecessary packages without success because of some crazy dependencies. Ok, no problem, then start at the other edge: build up an own system piece-by-piece. Then I've found mini-(net-)install, learnt, which programs are absolutely required to get a stable and working system.

Another topic: it is okay that Linux is secure, but it doesn't meet my little bit paranoid requirements, so I began to search for iptables settings, rkhunter, lynis, nmap and so on... These all related to security.

So the choice is yours, what time will U spend with learning Ubuntu, but keep in mind: do not forget about your real world!

Cheers.