PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Issues?

cenzorrll
November 4th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Hmm, I guess what I've been reading a lot in these forums is people complaining about how difficult it is to upgrade distributions, from jaunty to karma for example. What I think people seem to forget is that it's not a "service pack" upgrade as seen in windows. It's more like upgrading from XP to Vista, or for many of the slightly more level headed, XP to 7.

When was the last time you were able to upgrade windows without a fresh install?

I myself am starting to get annoyed by all the griping, but I also see it as a sign of stability for linux. What we're complaining about is upgrading an entire system to the next OS, all in two mouse clicks and no loss of data.

If you want something to complain about, I give you two words "windows registry", although I think the first is enough to send shivers down someone's spine.

my two cents.

FuturePilot
November 4th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I've never had a single problem with upgrading Ubuntu. Just sayin'

gn2
November 4th, 2009, 12:21 PM
The vast majority of people never have any problems.
In an Ubuntu Forums poll quoted in a Register article, only 700(ish) people report having a serious problem.
From a userbase of millions 700 is nothing.
The stories on the web have been blown out of all proportion.

Pasdar
November 4th, 2009, 12:25 PM
The vast majority of people never have any problems.
In an Ubuntu Forums poll quoted in a Register article, only 700(ish) people report having a serious problem.
From a userbase of millions 700 is nothing.
The stories on the web have been blown out of all proportion.

How do you know its blown out of proportion and what is that avatar of yours supposed to be?

gn2
November 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
How do you know its blown out of proportion and what is that avatar of yours supposed to be?

Ubuntu has millions of users.
The poll referenced by The Reg shows less than 700 people experiencing problems.
Ther's the real proportion of it.

My avatar is the cover of my favourite album, Echoes by Pink Floyd and is an image of a human ear under water.
Rotate it 90 degrees clockwise and it will be instantly recognisable ;)