PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Windows XP Dual Boot of death

cinche
November 4th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Hi All,

I know there are lots of posts about Grub2 issues, but non specifically covering this issue before you all yell at me ;-)

I was running 9.04 via wubi along side by Windows XP Pro install on a HP notebook, I wanted to upgrade but also change to proper partitioning, so I backed up everything I needed from ubuntu (and windows to be safe!) then I uninstalled wubi, I put 9.10 live cd on a bootable usb and installed it, everything went swimmingly.

However every time I reboot into windows xp, I can never boot again after that! I get a grub loading, then no disk found message and the only command that works is 'ls' which lists nothing but a blank line. Even help returns an unknown command error.

If I boot to the live cd on the usb and reinstall grub2, mounting the original / to /mnt, mounting dev, chroot, etc... then I get the grub menu back and I can book into ubuntu as many times as I like, but as soon as I go into Windows XP the grub2 is broken.

I 'presume' it is something windows is doing, but I've no idea.... any help would really be appreciated, I do demo's to customers which require me to boot in/out of windows and I don't want to be having to boot to the usb just to get back into linux.

Cheers All!