PDA

View Full Version : Is Solaris 10 really worth the try?

Sirin
February 16th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I was wondering what everyone thinks of Solaris? I always wanted to try it but I never had a Spark not a ridiculous amount of money. However now OpenSolaris 10 is free and works on an x86. I figure that x86 support must at least be ok seeing that Sun are selling AMD64 based systems.

So do you think I should bother to download the 3gig dvd of Solaris and try it?

Also how "Open Source" I looked on Sun Microsystems' site which is long on marketing bable and short on explination.

Thanks all. :)

xequence
February 16th, 2006, 04:34 PM
It really cant hurt, can it?

Just download it over night... If it can max out your connection, and your connection is fast, it wont be a problem.

If it doesent detect your hardware, try it in VMware.

briancurtin
February 16th, 2006, 06:16 PM
ive wanted to try it for a while now, but never really felt like it since i only have one computer and don't like to mess around with randomly changing the distro here and there.

Tinuz
February 16th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Perhaps you should take a look at this thread (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-434228.html) over at the gentoo forums.

Or is that thread yours too? (I suspect so ;))

Sirin
February 16th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Look. All I did was ask a simple question about Solaris. It seems that people have nothing better to do with their time, but to bash other people. Is that right? ;)

void_false
February 16th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I want to try it too. Unfortunately I couldnt find any tutorial on how to install it without burning CDs. So its images are just sitting on my HD waiting to be installed. :-k

LordHunter317
February 16th, 2006, 08:54 PM
So do you think I should bother to download the 3gig dvd of Solaris and try it?No.

Don't bother. There's nothing special in Solaris on the desktop, and if you need Solaris for development or serving, you wouldn't be asking this question. The only reason to install it on your own time would be to learn it, and then you need a Sparc really.

mips
February 16th, 2006, 10:05 PM
...The only reason to install it on your own time would be to learn it, and then you need a Sparc really.

Why would you need a Sparc ??? The OS is the same, just the hardware is different..

LordHunter317
February 16th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Why would you need a Sparc ??? The OS is the same, just the hardware is different..Because not all the hardware-related commands are the same on the two-architectures, plus in most shops still, Solaris implies familarity with the Sparc hardware and how to deal with it.

You won't get that on a Opteron box.

Lord Illidan
February 16th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Does it have good software, like firefox, openoffice,etc? I might try it out too, if only to experience a new OS. I tried PC-BSD but it wouldn't install, giving me a wierd error about my harddisk, and wiping Windows in the process...(who cares, it is now an Ubuntu partition).

mips
February 16th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Ok I see. I tried solaris for i386 a long time ago (still have the cd's) and found it bloated and slow.

Lord Illidan
February 16th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Ok I see. I tried solaris for i386 a long time ago (still have the cd's) and found it bloated and slow.

Maybe it changed? A lot of things can happen in a few years... Ubuntu 5.04 was slow, before 5.10 (imho)

mips
February 16th, 2006, 11:01 PM
True, you have a point but I my next mission is FreeBSD/OpenBSd. Maybe later.

Qrk
February 16th, 2006, 11:39 PM
I tried it on a Lab computer at my university, (Both a Dell P4 and a Sparc) and I was super impressed. It was very fast, even on the dell.

So I decided to try it on my home PC, but I couldn't get it to work very well. It was extremely slow, and didn't detect nearly as much of my hardware as Linux.