PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu vs Kubuntu torrents 3 to 1

nickle
February 16th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I have noticed over the last days that there are generally about 200 Ubuntu seeders vs about 70 kubuntu seeders? Is this because there are roughly about 3 times more Ubuntu users?

Sirin
February 16th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I have noticed over the last days that there are generally about 200 Ubuntu seeders vs about 70 kubuntu seeders? Is this because there are roughly about 3 times more Ubuntu users?

Kubuntu is like the "other sister". It just doesn't get that much attention.

xequence
February 16th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger) i386 Installation ISO
Peers: 989 seeders, 1444 leechers - 2433 total.
Announce url: http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/announce (external)

Kubuntu 5.10 INSTALL x386 iso
Peers: 266 seeders, 59 leechers - 325 total.
Announce url: http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/announce (external)

For ether of them you will probably max out your connection.

equal
February 16th, 2006, 05:39 PM
The real point to mention is that not only are there less seeders, there are also less users. One of the most frustrating aspects of my recent foray into Kubuntu was discovering that questions aren't always answered as quickly (if at all) in the Kubuntu side of this forum site.

xequence
February 16th, 2006, 06:46 PM
The real point to mention is that not only are there less seeders, there are also less users. One of the most frustrating aspects of my recent foray into Kubuntu was discovering that questions aren't always answered as quickly (if at all) in the Kubuntu side of this forum site.

Yes, less seeders for kubuntu... But also there are lots more seeders then leechers, which means as good of speed as the ubuntu one with mugh higher seeders and leechers.

nickle
February 16th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I do wonder though about the relative take up between the Gnome version vs athe KDE version of Ubuntu. Of course the gnome version has the advantage because the the Ubuntu download is Gnome. Indeed because of the unfortunate naming convention I fear Kubuntu will always be "the other sister".

On another thread I suggested in the past that the current naming is unfortunate. Ubuntu is the distribution cake, with either Gnome ore KDE as the icing. As it stands the Ubuntu brand is intimately associated with Gnome. I believe this is an unfortunate historical flaw and I wonder is there any way round it?

I would be curious to hear other thought on this....

nickle
February 16th, 2006, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=nickle]I do wonder though about the relative take up between the Gnome version vs the KDE version of Ubuntu. Of course the gnome version has the advantage because the the Ubuntu download is Gnome. Indeed because of the unfortunate naming convention I fear Kubuntu will always be "the other sister".

On another thread I suggested in the past that the current naming is unfortunate. Ubuntu is the distribution cake, with either Gnome or KDE as the icing. As it stands the Ubuntu brand is intimately associated with Gnome. I believe this is an unfortunate historical flaw and I wonder is there any way round it?

Please note this is not a KDE vs Gnome discussion!!!!

I would be curious to hear other thoughts on this...

kaydot@kubuntu
February 16th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I'm rather certain that Kubuntu will always, as has been said, be considered the "little sister" of Ubuntu. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just a thing. Thankfully, the likenesses between the two flavors of Ubuntu are in a great enough quantity that a Kubuntu user can receive help from an Ubuntu user, and vice-versa. However, it can definitely be frustrating to new users, particularly those new to Linux in general, and particularly those who use Kubuntu, who aren't sure what problems are specific to their flavor, and thus are nearly forced to ask on the equally helpful but less populated Kubuntu Boards. If they're willing to stick with it, then they'll get it eventually, but seeing their questions asked at a slower rate than those of Ubuntu users can certainly be frustrating. Things'll get better, eventually, as the community becomes more-and-more densely populated as a whole, and the Kubuntu subcommunity by extension, but it'll take time. That's all.