PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How many of you have ubuntu one working?

cenzorrll
November 4th, 2009, 05:14 AM
i'm curious to know how many of you have ubuntu one working without a hitch (syncs correctly, logging in just fine, adding computers works)

those that have it working, with the ocassional error (syncs most of the time except ..., works on one computer but doesn't on another)

and how many it just doesn't work for.

if you do have it working, let us know any steps you took to get it so, or whether it worked out of box.

haocheng
November 4th, 2009, 06:30 AM
It just didn't work. Everything seems to be fine, but I just cannot get files synchronized between the local folder and the website...

pootan
November 4th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I logged in and it asked me to subscribe to a free service. it showed an error and closed. Click the Icon in the menu took me to a preferences settings dialogue box which i completed then i was sent to a sharing folder with no options to do anything. I closed it and reopened and the same preferences box popped up to show that it hadnt saved my last settings.

Current status: nothing happens when I click the icon in the main menu.

User friendly status: what is this thing? :p

mustanglover32
November 4th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Worked for my laptop, but will not work from my desktop. Can't upload large files. Failed to upload a 3MB MP3.

m4tic
November 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I used my phone as a modem, everythng worked, tomboy, 3Mb file uploaded 10min after Karmic install

pootan
November 4th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I have it working now. I was pretty annoyed at having the applet in my panel all the time just so I could access the login page but I figured out a way to have a clickable picture link to the launchpad login page on my desktop so its all good.

Uploaded a 10 MB file to it before with no problems. Handy little temp file.

r-senior
November 4th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I tried it. After some fiddling I got parts of it working but it seemed flaky. I like the idea and I'll keep an eye on it but I've uninstalled and replaced it with Dropbox for file sharing for the time being.

Some of the problems I had:

(a) Evolution contacts only seemed to synchronize when I logged out and logged back in again. Not all fields sync'd, updates in the web interface seemed to overwrite those in Evolution and I had a crash (reported) when I think it was trying to update from Ubuntu One while I was changing a field.

(b) Tomboy updates only seemed to sync when I explicitly asked them to. Plus it was creating multiple template notes in the web interface which was annoying. For some reason it wouldn't use the same computer name as I was using for Evolution and files, so I ended up with the same computer registered twice.

(c) File sharing itself worked best but was flaky. The update status didn't always reflect differences in files. It was OK when I created a new file in my ~/Ubuntu One folder but deletions and renaming seemed to confuse it.

I never got as far as trying to sync bookmarks. It's not a key feature for me as I only have one Ubuntu desktop machine, although the file sharing that I'm getting now from Dropbox is useful. Cross-platform too which is a bonus. (Sorry :oops:)

jnew93
November 4th, 2009, 10:14 PM
It seems to be working fine with me. Uploaded some test files today successfully. However, I haven't tested all it's features yet.

Flimm
November 4th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I'm not using it simply because I think its name shows disrespect towards the Ubuntu spirit. When the name was announced, they was an uproar, the leaders of the Ubuntu community ignored us then stalled, and we waited patiently. Very smart of them. Now we're stuck with an embarrassing name. I'll only start using Ubuntu One when they open the server-side code, in the same way that they opened Launchpad's code. (Funnily enough, I was fine with Launchpad being closed, it didn't have Ubuntu in its name and we could dissociate the Ubuntu spirit from it)