PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubgrade to 9.10 encrypted my files without passphrase

KuroKuma
November 4th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I installed Ubuntu 9.10 today from the Alternate CD. Going through the process like I do every time. I use manual partition to select my / /usr /var and /home directories and chose to format everything but /home. I used the same username that I always use. When finished I rebooted and got an error upon logging in that it could not write files for Nautilus. I rebooted into recovery mode and found my home directory was was not writable by me so I chmod u+w /home/username and reboot again. This time around I log in fine but all of my old files (80 gigs worth) are encrypted into a ~/.Private folder. I found this to be quite odd because I did not wish to encrypt them and the install did not ask for a passphrase. There were links in my home folder that were broken README.txt and "Access Your Private Data" so I installed ecrypt-utils and was able to open the README.txt file and it said to type ecrypt-mount-private to mount my .Private directory. I do this and it says

ERROR: Encrypted Private directory is not set up properly.

Why did it encrypt my files when I did not ask it to do so and is there any way of recovering my data?

mrauscher
November 20th, 2009, 09:25 PM
WTF? I'm in the same boat. I've done this the same way for every version upgrade before: install the new version, formatting /, leaving /home unformatted, and everything has always come up fine.

This time, with 9.10, it appears ~/ has been encrypted without warning (or none that I saw, anyway) and I'm stuck with an inoperable system. Any ideas short of wiping out my /home and starting everything from scratch?