PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tried to develop programs for psp using ubuntu?

henryfranz2005
November 4th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I would like to ask if anyone here tried to develop programs using ubuntu? :)

Can+~
November 4th, 2009, 03:11 AM
PSP as in Python Server Pages, or PSP as the Playstation Portable?

Assuming the later, if you want to develop programs that run on the PSP, you're out of luck, try on other sites, like psphacks and the like, but you could probably code them on linux.

If you want to develop apps that run on ubuntu, and handle PSP, it's plain easy to work as any other pluggable device (for example, something that will handle ISOs, pictures, music, etc).

Thesuperchang
November 4th, 2009, 03:12 AM
I don't have a PSP, but I have developed some software for the PS2 in Ubuntu. The link below will lead you to a forum where all the PSP development goes down.
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=b31f3ce380c4315dddc57aade4a7335b

From previous experience, windows is a troublesome environment to develop PS2 software in.

henryfranz2005
November 4th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Yes, developing on Windows is so lame. On linux you could just use the command line yet you could develop faster.

Can+~
November 4th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Yes, developing on Windows is so lame. On linux you could just use the command line yet you could develop faster.

I agree. When I'm on windows, I usually get desperate when using the command line there.

If you are developing on C, the usual choice is:

gcc/makefile + gedit: For small files.
geany: For small files (and having click&run buttons).
Big project: Eclipse/Netbeans with C plugin (auto-generated makefile)
gcc/makefile + vim/emacs: Also nice.

henryfranz2005
November 4th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I don't have a PSP, but I have developed some software for the PS2 in Ubuntu. The link below will lead you to a forum where all the PSP development goes down.
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=b31f3ce380c4315dddc57aade4a7335b

From previous experience, windows is a troublesome environment to develop PS2 software in.

I agree. When I'm on windows, I usually get desperate when using the command line there.

If you are developing on C, the usual choice is:

gcc/makefile + gedit: For small files.
geany: For small files (and having click&run buttons).
Big project: Eclipse/Netbeans with C plugin (auto-generated makefile)
gcc/makefile + vim/emacs: Also nice.

of course sir, on windows you must first google the needed packages, install cygwin, and hell I don't know how to add packages on cygwin. On Linux specifically ubuntu I just typed the needed package sudo apt-get install <package name> and then your finished. Run the toolchain, add to path then yeah. You now have the environment. Windows sucks on developing applications. That's true.