PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 server, desktop installed and need to boot to cli

bradw
November 4th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I just installed 9.10 server and need to use a gui so I installed ubuntu desktop. The need is because I just starting out in linux and the gui helps sometimes. Anyway I prefer to boot to the cli and no matter what I do I cannot get it to boot to the cli. I tried removing gdm and then start gui if I need it by running startx and removing gdm does not work like it did in previous versions. I had 9.04 installed and I saw somewhere where it talked about putting startx and something else in a file. For the life of me I cannot remember what I did or to which file it was.

So in recap I am looking for a tried and tested way of always automatically booting to the cli even though i have ubuntu desktop installed. It seems as if 9.10 has changed things yet again. If not then I a dumb*** and probably missing something obvious. lol I must have reinstalled the server ten times today. Im new and as clueless as can be but so far having a blast and sure as heck glad windows has gone bye bye.

Please if you can be specific in your replies. I spend a lot of time reading various posts here and for a newb I get blown away at some of the answers being way over my understanding at least at this point

thanks