PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Add to panel" Network Monitor activity 2.26.0

ronux
November 4th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Hello,

Does anyone know how to get a previous "Add to panel" item called Network Monitor (version 2.26.0 - 2003 Sun Microsystems) which was available on Ubuntu 8.10 and prior versions but not any longer available on 9.04 and up?

Many thanks,

R.

Unknown Pirate
November 4th, 2009, 02:21 AM
The notification area come with network monitor.

ronux
November 4th, 2009, 04:48 AM
See attached file.
I am talking about the "Network Monitor" with the underneath description "Monitor network activity".
It looks like that it has been removed and I would like to know if there is a way to get it back.

Thanks for any suggestion.

R.

akh00
November 4th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I figured out half of the solution for this problem. I need help on the other half!

Open Synaptic Package Manager and search for "gnome-netstatus" and install the applet. Now all you have to do is add this applet to the "Add to Panel" list. But I don't know how to do that - so can someone help me on this please?

EDIT: I found out the solution - after installing gnome-netstatus from SPM, simply restart your system and you'll find the network manager once again in the "Add To Panel" List :) Hope that helped

ronux
November 4th, 2009, 06:41 AM
akh00: You are very correct! The good old reboot did the trick :p
Note: the icon is different but Properties displays the same information.
Many thanks!

R.

KPDXHAM
December 6th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I figured out half of the solution for this problem. I need help on the other half!

Open Synaptic Package Manager and search for "gnome-netstatus" and install the applet. Now all you have to do is add this applet to the "Add to Panel" list. But I don't know how to do that - so can someone help me on this please?

EDIT: I found out the solution - after installing gnome-netstatus from SPM, simply restart your system and you'll find the network manager once again in the "Add To Panel" List :) Hope that helped

I tried this 2 times now. Followed instructions exactly, reboot & all. The only thing I see is NetworkManager Applet 0.7.996 which is already installed.](*,)

Really would like to be able to see GUI of the network connection like I've gotten used to in XP.

ronux
December 6th, 2009, 04:48 AM
That is odd.
Make sure that gnome-netstatus is properly installed.
Go to Synaptic, it should be checked.
Or maybe remove it completely and try installing again, and reboot.

Please remember that this is a manual add on. Therefore right click on the upper navigational bar > Add to panel > and you should see Network Monitor, then just add it. It will appear on the panel bar.

R.