PDA

View Full Version : OH no

NoaHall
November 4th, 2009, 12:19 AM
More bad press - http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/karmic_koala_causes_anger_and_frustration_amongst_ early_adopters

Squonk07
November 4th, 2009, 12:25 AM
*sigh*

The press just have to create drama, don't they? Haven't they figured out yet (read: yes, they have) that people with problems are MUCH more likely to be vocal about it than people who aren't? If you took UF as representative, you'd think Ubuntu was a horrid OS. I've struggled for over two years to get over 100 posts because I've had so few problems with Ubuntu.

With no offense intended, many of the people who have problems are either corner cases, or else new to the process and still adjusting/learning. UF and places like it is where these folks go to search for answers to their problems. As a community OS Ubuntu's main support outlet is UF. OF COURSE there will be a lot of problem threads--look at the forums for any other OS/software/hardware/[fill-in-the-blank] and you'll find the same thing.

Sorry for the rant; this sort of thing just irritates me to no end.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 4th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Good. I hope only people who are willing to deal with some issues use linux. I'm getting tired of people bitching. If they can't handle it, they should go back to windows where they actually pay for support.

NoaHall
November 4th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I've only ever asked for help about 3 times, and each time, I fixed the problem myself before anyone could help.
The "normal" end-user needs someone to set everything up for them. Without it, they seem to panic.

JillSwift
November 4th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Yeah yeah. Wake me when any establised OS manages to tank across the board. Otherwise, ho hum, it's just life with computers.

Regenweald
November 4th, 2009, 12:30 AM
More bad press - http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/karmic_koala_causes_anger_and_frustration_amongst_ early_adopters

colour me unconcerned.

schauerlich
November 4th, 2009, 12:36 AM
In before M$ shill accusations.

hoppipolla
November 4th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Meh, I really do think Ubuntu will continue to pick up and these issues people have will diminish. These websites and stuff may lay into it, but Linux/Ubuntu is competing fairly healthily with Windows and is doing it for free, and over the next few years it will become amazing :)

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 4th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Linux/Ubuntu is competing fairly healthily with Windows and is doing it for free, and over the next few years it will become amazing :)No it's not.

Regenweald
November 4th, 2009, 12:42 AM
In before M$ shill accusations.

Yay ? :-?

issih
November 4th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Oh look - yet another tech journalist earns their crust by repeating what was in the first place a poorly researched deliberately inflammatory hype piece for the nth time.

I'm bored of this now, but it is what happens if you court publicity, the press love nothing more than a bash piece.

I'm going to go stick my fingers in my ears for a few weeks.

pwnst*r
November 4th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Meh, I really do think Ubuntu will continue to pick up and these issues people have will diminish. These websites and stuff may lay into it, but Linux/Ubuntu is competing fairly healthily with Windows and is doing it for free, and over the next few years it will become amazing :)

you're such a dreamer. it's cute ^_^

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2009, 12:47 AM
They still ignore the people who had issues upgrading to windows 7, of course stuff can go wrong with updating its true for ANY OS, not just Ubuntu/linux

issih
November 4th, 2009, 12:48 AM
you're such a dreamer. it's cute ^_^

Hoppi does have a remarkably resilient streak of optimism it is true....

Squonk07
November 4th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Hoppi does have a remarkably resilient streak of optimism it is true....

Hey, it keeps us young. And that's saying something, as I'm in my early 20s! :lolflag:

Ric_NYC
November 4th, 2009, 01:04 AM
They have a point.

http://ubuntuforums.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=5769

Something went wrong.

Ric_NYC
November 4th, 2009, 01:08 AM
This is what happened to me:
I installed the alphas, one of the alphas broke the boot. Many users had the same issue. After that was fixed I couldn't get the computer to boot as fast as in Jaunty.

jrusso2
November 4th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Seems like a good 20% are having severe issues, whether its a clean install or upgrade.

Maybe its time to re-evaluate somethings.

issih
November 4th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Utter cobblers...

Do you think jaunty was a total disaster?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1133869&highlight=experience

what about intrepid? was that a total dog too?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=963853&highlight=intrepid

Hardy - god that thing just stank didn't it

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=764847&highlight=experience

And please don't get me started on gutsy that one almost made me commit ritual suicide

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=580852&highlight=experience

Note anything interesting about how similar they all look to the pattern for karmic? It is to do with the self selecting nature of the people who participate in a poll in a help forum, and the inevitable storm of issues that arise as the installed base jumps in size as a release comes out of beta testing.

You are welcome to argue that canonical would be advised to not push the upgrade so vociferously, but then the bugs would continue to just stay under the radar.

As always, there are some known bugs that creep out and cause some users a lot of pain, e.g. intel video regressions in jaunty and the 3g modem stuff currently, but that is inevitable if you commit to a release date - where possible they get fixed later. Nonetheless, most of this is just what happens with any software release combined with vocal complaining and poor journalism.

There is Nothing more to it than that, at least for now, judge karmic in 2 months, by then it will have had a fighting chance.

P.S. @Ric_nyc alphas cause breakage - that is what they are for, and do bear in mind that one of jaunty's main aims was boot speed - optimising the process for a well established, mature and stable system. Karmic has dramatically altered almost all the elements of the boot process, from grub right on through, so there are inevitably regressions in speed, for the moment.

jmore9
November 4th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Well I tried windows 7 for 6 months on 2 different machines. And on each one i had to force windows 7 to use vista lan drivers becasue it could not find any to use.

I also had to force it to use vista sound blaster - regular 16 bit card nothing fancy has worked in everything up windows 7.

So if i did not know to do that i would have had a terrible experience wil windows 7. As it was i saw no reason to spend money to purchase it. On my winxp pro machine i switch it to the classic view ( no tonka toy theme ) and a blue background. I spend very little of my time looking at an empty desktop !!

Now i was running 9.04 and decided to upgrade to the 9.10rc and just upgraded. I had zero problems upgrading . I ony found one problem and that was with firestarter and ufw ( which there is an warning about - i ignored it and had the problem )

Now been running 9.10 for about 2 weeks now and works just as good as windows xp and windows 7. I haven't found anything i cannot do in ubuntu that i did in windows including joining mpegs, avi's.

On a scale of 1 to 5 5 being the best i give 9.10 a 4.85 , becasue nothing is perfect

Marlonsm
November 4th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Karmic has been great for me, the only issue I'm having is that Suspend is not working, not much of a problem when it boots in 40 seconds, tho. And maybe it'll get fixed by updates, just like in Jaunty.

But all this bad press and posts out there is because people with problems is more likelly to tell others about it than people having a good experience, it's just normal. If everybody who have Karmic up and running well came here just to say how great the release is, this place would be flooded by threads.

pwnst*r
November 4th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Well I tried windows 7 for 6 months on 2 different machines. And on each one i had to force windows 7 to use vista lan drivers becasue it could not find any to use.

I also had to force it to use vista sound blaster - regular 16 bit card nothing fancy has worked in everything up windows 7.

So if i did not know to do that i would have had a terrible experience wil windows 7. As it was i saw no reason to spend money to purchase it. On my winxp pro machine i switch it to the classic view ( no tonka toy theme ) and a blue background. I spend very little of my time looking at an empty desktop !!

Now i was running 9.04 and decided to upgrade to the 9.10rc and just upgraded. I had zero problems upgrading . I ony found one problem and that was with firestarter and ufw ( which there is an warning about - i ignored it and had the problem )

Now been running 9.10 for about 2 weeks now and works just as good as windows xp and windows 7. I haven't found anything i cannot do in ubuntu that i did in windows including joining mpegs, avi's.

On a scale of 1 to 5 5 being the best i give 9.10 a 4.85 , becasue nothing is perfect

well if you used it for 6 months it was beta. why bother comparing.

JDShu
November 4th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Hey, it keeps us young. And that's saying something, as I'm in my early 20s! :lolflag:

LOL dont let anybody tell you you're old. We are the young and idealistic types :D

Optimism is healthy, the cynics I know are all bitter, miserable people. Its generally accepted that people get more bitter and miserable as they get older, so whats the rush?

More on topic, this will continue to be a problem as long as the majority of OEMs don't support Ubuntu or even Linux in general. So yeah, nothing new here...

jmore9
November 4th, 2009, 02:12 AM
well if you used it for 6 months it was beta. why bother comparing.

Because i was comparing it to winxp pro. It as i said earlier came out to expensive to use for me. For someone else they might think it is great.

I have found that 9.04 and 9.10 are equal to windows on all fronts that i used windows for. I only use windowsxp pro as a tv machine becasue it has a ati TV Wonder 650 pro in it and that is not yet supported unser linus.

I am looking at getting a different digital tuner card that is supported maybe a pinnacle 800i which I use with the 9.10 install at the moment

Ms_Angel_D
November 4th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Any publicity is good publicity, the point is We're being talked about, a few years ago we wouldn't have made into the news, now we are.

Besides just remember this

All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self evident.

Skripka
November 4th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Any publicity is good publicity, the point is We're being talked about, a few years ago we wouldn't have made into the news, now we are.

Besides just remember this

You're quoting Schopenhauer?

Admit it. Deep down inside you think Linux is doomed, don't you. ;)

pwnst*r
November 4th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Because i was comparing it to winxp pro. It as i said earlier came out to expensive to use for me. For someone else they might think it is great.

I have found that 9.04 and 9.10 are equal to windows on all fronts that i used windows for. I only use windowsxp pro as a tv machine becasue it has a ati TV Wonder 650 pro in it and that is not yet supported unser linus.

I am looking at getting a different digital tuner card that is supported maybe a pinnacle 800i which I use with the 9.10 install at the moment

but you're comparing a beta product to a very matured one.

bonfire89
November 4th, 2009, 02:36 AM
"According to a poll on Ubuntuforums.org, more than one-third of about 1,500 people polled so far have encountered some major flaws."

That quote is only there because those types of threads were made.

3rdalbum
November 4th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I once again take objection to the headline. As far as I can tell, it's not the early adopters who are having problems - it's the late adopters! The early adopters were using alphas or betas and filing bug reports, and their issues were mostly fixed by the release date, or fixed shortly after. The late adopters are coming up against bugs that were not observed during alpha and beta; either that, or their systems are getting messed up from PPAs and things like that.

bonfire89
November 4th, 2009, 02:37 AM
They have a point.

Something went wrong.

people with perfect systems would have been less likely to visit the site. I wonder how that thought effects things.

pwnst*r
November 4th, 2009, 02:38 AM
"According to a poll on Ubuntuforums.org, more than one-third of about 1,500 people polled so far have encountered some major flaws."

That quote is only there because those types of threads were made.

um, what.

Ms_Angel_D
November 4th, 2009, 02:56 AM
You're quoting Schopenhauer?

Admit it. Deep down inside you think Linux is doomed, don't you. ;)

No I don't think linux is doomed..roflmao..but I do believe that statement is pretty accurate in most cases. It's proved true time again, plenty of people in the past were condemned for saying the earth was round.. ;)

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Seems like a good 20% are having severe issues, whether its a clean install or upgrade.

Maybe its time to re-evaluate somethings.

But isnt this the case with ANY OS?
People like singling Linux out as it doesnt have the money MS does to cover its *** when something screws up.
Issues happen for all OS's, though for me Karmic is working wonderfully.

Skripka
November 4th, 2009, 04:30 AM
No I don't think linux is doomed..roflmao..but I do believe that statement is pretty accurate in most cases. It's proved true time again, plenty of people in the past were condemned for saying the earth was round.. ;)

So says the one who went and quoted the man who literally wrote the book on pessimism....

Khakilang
November 4th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Its free what are they expecting. They pay for Window and get problem and free OS and got problem. Which one has the advantage? I got my fair share of problem too with Windows and Linux but I work around it. Experiment here and there. Get help from forum especially this one and now everything is great. No broken dependencies, no virus threat, performance is acceptable for an old notebook and overall it is great to use. Free versus pay.

SunnyRabbiera
November 4th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Its free what are they expecting. They pay for Window and get problem and free OS and got problem. Which one has the advantage? I got my fair share of problem too with Windows and Linux but I work around it. Experiment here and there. Get help from forum especially this one and now everything is great. No broken dependencies, no virus threat, performance is acceptable for an old notebook and overall it is great to use. Free versus pay.

Thats what I say, Ubuntu is a free OS so I tend to pardon it more then so called "professional" OS's

Wim Sturkenboom
November 4th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I've only ever asked for help about 3 times, and each time, I fixed the problem myself before anyone could help.
The "normal" end-user needs someone to set everything up for them. Without it, they seem to panic.Yeah, but Ubuntu pretends to be a 'easy' distro for the non-computer literate. And it's not.

Wim Sturkenboom
November 4th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Meh, I really do think Ubuntu will continue to pick up and these issues people have will diminish. These websites and stuff may lay into it, but Linux/Ubuntu is competing fairly healthily with Windows and is doing it for free, and over the next few years it will become amazing :)May hope so, they screwed up 9.04 and now 9.10. Well done

Wim Sturkenboom
November 4th, 2009, 05:01 AM
And we even made it to slashdot
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/11/03/2211231/Some-Early-Adopters-Stung-By-Ubuntus-Karmic-Koala

pwnst*r
November 4th, 2009, 05:26 AM
And we even made it to slashdot
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/09/11/03/2211231/Some-Early-Adopters-Stung-By-Ubuntus-Karmic-Koala

unlike the comments in the original, there are some folks in that link that know what they're talking about that have issues. again, it's gonna happen with any OS, yes, even Linux.

get over it.