PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Karmic XNest problem

Ravenheart
November 3rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
I have just upgrade to Karmic from Jaunty and I have a small problem. When I went to use XNest there was no entry in the System Tools menu. I searched all the other menus and there was no sign of it at all. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it via synaptic but alas no joy. I have even installed Xephyr but no joy there either, no sign of it in the Application menus either. I am a bit of a noob - Am I doing something totally obvious wrong? All help accepted.

pbrito81
November 18th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Hello!

Apparently Xnest has become obsolete and was removed from Karmic. Now you have to use Xephyr.

$ Xephyr :1

Unfortunely, this command just create a empty window... I don't know how to start a gnome session in there, sorry.

Ravenheart
November 19th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was starting to give up hope. I too got a black window and some error messages in the terminal. I just have to do a bit more research I guess.:confused:

rcorbish
January 13th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Ignore the error messages - they don't seem to affect things working

Xephyr -ac -query <my-remote-machine> :1 -screen 1024x768 -br 2>/dev/null &

Works OK for me - better than Xnest anyway

Ravenheart
January 18th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the post. However I still get a black window using the above command. I believe that the -query flag is querying the hostname for a remote login seission i.e. GDM. Having read the Gnome help it appears that XDMCP is turned off by default. A quick google search and I am led to believe that the easiest way to turn it on is to turn on remote desktop access. Did that and still just a black window that swallows my mouse pointer like the Black Hole of Death ;-).Remote Desktop access works though. Truely stumped!!

rcorbish
January 20th, 2010, 02:17 AM
edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf

in the [xdmcp] section ...

[xdmcp]
Enable=True
DisplaysPerHost=2

Then reboot the server.

Only do this if you're behind a firewall !

Ravenheart
January 20th, 2010, 12:51 PM
:DExcellent!! It works just like it used to. Many thanks.

coollinn
February 23rd, 2010, 07:54 AM
I can't found the [xdmcp] section in the /etc/gdm/custom.conf.
Added this section to custom.conf file, then reboot system,but the problem still. I can't remote login to solaris used by xnest which display black blank yet.

Please give me some advice.

My /etc/gdm/custom.conf:
laptop:/etc/gdm$ more custom.conf
:confused:
[daemon]
TimedLoginEnable=false
AutomaticLoginEnable=false
TimedLogin=chenlin
AutomaticLogin=chenlin
TimedLoginDelay=30

edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf

in the [xdmcp] section ...

[xdmcp]
Enable=True
DisplaysPerHost=2

Then reboot the server.
Only do this if you're behind a firewall !