PDA

View Full Version : Who uses the default theme?

what, what?
November 3rd, 2009, 10:46 PM
As I was going to download a new theme from gnome-look.org , a sudden question came into my head. "How many people use any of the pre installed themes on their computer?"
So, how many of you DO use the default themes?

I don't use any of the themes (anymore)
I use slickness black (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Slickness+Black?content=73210)

NoaHall
November 3rd, 2009, 10:46 PM
No, it's gross. Hehe. Although I LOVE the Hardy Heron and Intrepid backgrounds. I have them as my backgrounds.

CharlesA
November 3rd, 2009, 10:48 PM
Nope.

I think I haven't bothered to change the wallpaper, but I did change the appearance theme. :-P

potrick
November 3rd, 2009, 10:53 PM
While it's not technically the default, I'm yet to find a better theme than darkroom. I prefered the old human theme to the new human featured in 9.10.

murderslastcrow
November 3rd, 2009, 11:02 PM
I usually theme like mad, but this time around Dust is quite good enough for me, and the new Human icon theme isn't an eyesore.

But if you mean the default brown human being reintroduced, of course not. I know they're trying to be modest, but who else is? Maybe the modesty is a bad idea. I mean, I think Dust would be the ideal default theme- not too flashy, not too lame.

qamelian
November 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
I'm using the default Human theme, because I haven't found any I genuinely like better. :)

LowSky
November 3rd, 2009, 11:10 PM
Dust is becoming my favorite theme

wojox
November 3rd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Darklooks

wojox
November 3rd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Darklooks FTW...

pasti
November 3rd, 2009, 11:15 PM
I love the installed default in xubuntu 9.10, but I agree, the human theme in ubuntu is aweful, darklooks all the way!

speedwell68
November 3rd, 2009, 11:18 PM
I use the defaults in UNR. But on the desktop I use New Wave as the on the controls and the Window Border and Meliae White for the icons.:D

Praxicoide
November 3rd, 2009, 11:19 PM
No. I'm not a big fan of Xubuntu's blue.

magneze
November 3rd, 2009, 11:20 PM
I use Human-Clearlooks with the nice green grass background. :D

Grant A.
November 3rd, 2009, 11:21 PM
I usually theme like mad, but this time around Dust is quite good enough for me, and the new Human icon theme isn't an eyesore.

But if you mean the default brown human being reintroduced, of course not. I know they're trying to be modest, but who else is? Maybe the modesty is a bad idea. I mean, I think Dust would be the ideal default theme- not too flashy, not too lame.

I prefer dust sand over dust. I refuse to use dust until a decent dust-based Firefox theme comes into the repos.

chris4585
November 3rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
I like human, and I like the default new theme, I also like New Wave with dark menus.

fela
November 3rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
I use the default KDE theme in Kubuntu 9.04, bar adding the 'slim glow' analog clock theme. I much prefer the KDE 4.2 oxygen theme to the 4.3 'Air' theme. Air reminds me of the windows 7 theme, which I'm not particularly fond of. Whereas oxygen is light but not too light, and definitely dark enough but not too dark, both Air and W7 Aero are way too bright for me.

The Ubuntu 'human' theme is alright if you don't really care about themes and just want to get your work done. It's very usable IMO, but not 'pretty', if you care about that kind of stuff. I don't. I care about themes, but only because a good theme == good usability and less eye-ache (I'm often on the computer for long periods of time and find bright themes give me headaches). 'Prettiness' doesn't have anything to do with my computer.

dirtylobster
November 3rd, 2009, 11:42 PM
I'm using the default theme with New Wave window borders at the moment. :)

sertse
November 3rd, 2009, 11:58 PM
Xubuntu's wallpaper is darn sexy. Does it count if I'm actually switching to using it's default wallpaper even though I'm not on Xubuntu. It's theme is alright too, searching 30 pages on Gnome look for something similiar yet better, I begin to realise just how it could be a lot worse...

-jay-
November 4th, 2009, 12:01 AM
not me i change the theme right after i reboot from installing my drivers

joey-elijah
November 4th, 2009, 12:03 AM
It's always worth installing the community-themes package.

If Impression didn't insist on theme-ing my panel it'd be my default choice. But i like to use a panel background called smoke and having the notifications and menu applet sat in a half themed panel just looks... well... what rhymes with jank.

JillSwift
November 4th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Everyone uses the default theme, for as long as it takes to start the theme manager. ;) :D

madhi19
November 4th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Everyone uses the default theme, for as long as it takes to start the theme manager. ;) :D
lolll I been using Gotchione for a while it a perfect match with Zblack on Firefox.
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GOTCHIONE?content=93197

Bradj47
November 4th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I know a few people who stick to the default theme because they simply don't care. As for me, I create my own themes. It kills time plus it's kinda fun. I attached some screenshots.

wulfgang
November 4th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I never use the default theme(s) for ubuntu. I cannot stand earth colours for an operating system.

Squonk07
November 4th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Karmic was the first time in the entire time I've been using Ubuntu that I considered for even a moment keeping the default theme. Then I just installed Shiki-Colors like usual, and that idea got thrown out the window. I even go so far as to switch out the Ubuntu Symbol from the Menu--I like the standard Gnome Foot much better.

Seriously, Karmic probably has the best default theme of any Ubuntu release, but I still had my installations (a Karmic and a Lucid) bedecked in something new within about twenty minutes.

At least in Linux I can easily change the theme. It's quite different in other places on the pasture, so to speak.

oedipuss
November 4th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Me too, I used to change themes/wallpapers regularly, until Dust came along. With karmic I didn't even browse for a new wallpaper. The sand dunes that came with the extra wallpapers included in it go very nicely with Dust.
Does it count as part of the default theme, since it comes readily available in the repos ?

I prefer dust sand over dust. I refuse to use dust until a decent dust-based Firefox theme comes into the repos.

What's wrong with dust on firefox ? It seems ok, maybe I'm not noticing something..

Cuddles McKitten
November 4th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I care absolutely not one iota as to what my desktop looks like as long as I can find everything. I did, however, change the background.

Grant A.
November 4th, 2009, 01:43 AM
What's wrong with dust on firefox ? It seems ok, maybe I'm not noticing something..

Try bookmarking something. Take a nice look at the text that is supposed to be at the top of the prompt.

oedipuss
November 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Try bookmarking something. Take a nice look at the text that is supposed to be at the top of the prompt.

ouch...
I didn't notice there was any text there, I thought the pop-up was supposed to look like that :P

dizee
November 4th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I'm using the default Human theme, because I haven't found any I genuinely like better. :)
Me too.

The brown is better than the orange anyway. The default is clean and usable, I'm not looking for flashy or dark themes this time. (Let's see how long that lasts though.;))

TheNessus
November 4th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I hate the default
when I re-install or clean install another version, I immediately use clearlooks as a temporary theme till I get all my settings in order. Then it is usually something white and warm or black and shiny.

the-bean
November 4th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I like the simplicity of the basic theme. But I'm on the lookout!

TheNessus
November 4th, 2009, 06:42 PM
simplicity can be achieved better in other, better themes :)

JBAlaska
November 4th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Everytime I do a fresh install, I go through a little ritual..Dump the bottom panel, add emerald, awn, lm-sensors, gkrellm...tweak, tweak..

qamelian
November 4th, 2009, 06:56 PM
simplicity can be achieved better in other, better themes :)
I haven't seen any yet.

TheNessus
November 4th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I haven't seen any yet.

the icons can be sharper, cleaner, more similar, as opposed to cluttered and pixeled as they are now.

The colours can fit better, the look can be soother, more relaxed. Earth colour is too... harsh.

praveesh
November 4th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I don't use the default human theme. But Iam using another preinstalled theme named newwave . It's not a everything dark theme but looks slick .

praveesh
November 4th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I prefer usability so I don't like "dark everywhere" themes . In kde , I keep the default plasma theme but tweak the window manager theme . I change the colour schemes to NeO (A colour scheme created by me . It's in the kde-look.org ) , remove the stripes in the title bar etc .

Kantis
November 4th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I keep switching between the preinstalled Dust and New Wave themes. New Wave looks nicer, but the headers are easier to read in Dust. I'm too lazy to search elsewhere for a nice looking AND easy to read theme as it's not really so big a deal for me.

*g!t5^_)*(H
November 4th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I use the default theme but I changed the color of 'selected items' to #828282, after using Ubuntu for several years brown is ...?!?!¿¿¡¡¡!?... and grey fits very well.

what, what?
November 4th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I use the default theme but I changed the color of 'selected items' to #828282, after using Ubuntu for several years brown is ...?!?!¿¿¡¡¡!?... and grey fits very well.

Agreed on the gray part

wxnker
November 4th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I use the default gtk+ theme but NOT with the default colors. The theme itself is very nice once you change the colors.

Metacity - New Wave
Icons - Elementary (edited with humanity status icons)

what, what?
November 8th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Anybody else have anything to say?

praveenthivari
November 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I did like the dark variety and one of the reasons for me to use Karmic( i did not know that I couldget that in Repoes until I read).:p:p

matthew.ball
November 8th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Sort of throw a few themes together, but it works nicely.

I like the Dust Cold Control scheme (black panels and a hint of blue to forms), with the Clearlooks Window Border (lovely small blue border), and the Mist Icons for simplicity.

Looks great, have been using the same set-up since 8.04, because of the separate /home partition this is essentially my default theme (though the Mist Icons are in /usr/share so I have to re-download them each time, not a very big issue though).

kyuubi777
November 8th, 2009, 10:03 PM
on my 9.04 kde4.3 i use standard setup, same w/ my sabayon 5.0 kde (on both of those i even left the std wallpaper), however, i changed my 9.10 gnome to look a bit like mac, but left out all the useless modifications that just dont need to be made..

so basically kde i wont touch, but gnome i'll have my way with.

what, what?
November 9th, 2009, 01:05 PM
If people want their desktop to look a bit like a mac, I think they should have a mac. Otherwise it's pointless, unless somebody gives me a very good reason to why they would have it like that.

Am I right or am I right?

what, what?
December 7th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Remember back in the day when old grandma used to make those great homemade bumps? And how she put in tons of pure love and care into them? Well now you can experience those great old fashioned bumps again! Sure it's not made by grandma, but it's the next best thing if not, better!;)

Aflack
December 7th, 2009, 05:47 AM
im using dust, its very professional imo. until i find a theme that is complete like dust that is glossy, im using dust. (id rather have gloss than flat)

what, what?
December 7th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Anybody else care to share what they have?

chickengirl
December 7th, 2009, 09:31 PM
As far as using the default "human" theme or wallpaper... Eww. No.

I do like Darklooks for a dark theme -- best I've seen yet, IMO.

Right now I'm using Milke, got tired of being all black and grey everywhere. :p

cariboo
December 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I use dust, and install wallpaer-tray to switch backgrounds every 20 minutes.

graabein
December 7th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I don't have Ubuntu 9.10 but on 9.04 I still use Nimbus and Mac fonts. Now I've switched to xmonad so all is bulky.

jpmelos
December 8th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I use Bisigi's Step into Freedom theme, with random wallpapers. Everytime I fresh install, getting a more beautiful theme is the first thing after upgrade and nvidia driver installation.

l-x-l
December 8th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I use & like Dust. However the default wallpaper is horrendous. And the 1st thing I changed.

Chame_Wizard
December 8th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I customize immediately after everything is done with updates.

pricetech
December 8th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Haven't changed a thing overall. I did swap wallpaper a time or two but went back to the original after a few days. (or maybe it went back on its own, I don't remember)

j2bv16
December 8th, 2009, 01:36 AM
i use the default :D

some-what-Gnu-2-networks
December 8th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I use my own stripped-down Windows-ish theme. got rid of the default quickly.

Corfy
December 8th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I typically change the wallpaper (right now my wallpaper is a photo I took of the largest African Cichlid fish tank I had ever seen). I also replaced the panel at the bottom with Cairo dock. Otherwise, I'm running the default theme.

dragos240
December 8th, 2009, 02:52 AM
I like the old theme. The legacy human theme. I think it's in the repo.