PDA

View Full Version : Periodical Linux urge

1111peoy
November 3rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
It's been a long time since I've used a Linux distro. And everytime i have installed a distro, I just "what now?". Have I lost the passion of fixing stuff and digging into an OS? Is it a meaningless passion(re-inventing the wheel)? Then I always end up with windows for some reason.

For now, I am using Windows 100% and I dont have a real need to use linux, but why do I feel this urge sometimes? this urge is just lasting for one week, then I just "hm, I need windows to do this and that", clicking on my desktop and get bored after everything is installed and running smooth. Maybe Im just a burnout?

I'm wondering why you other guys like to use a linux distro(without thinking about the fixing the os part, and it just work part)?:D

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
I went through this! About erm... a year ago?

I was on Win XP for a year, and I'm actually on 7 as I write this after being on Ubuntu for I dunno, 4-6 months or something :)

I found I craved Linux again! Plus KDE is just amazing. I dunno, I found I missed it and Windows just didn't quite cure that itch! hehe :)

Now, I dual boot 7 and Ubuntu!

1111peoy
November 3rd, 2009, 10:26 PM
You said it! There is something that you miss with ubuntu, or a linux distro sometimes, but what is it actually? the human brain is a strange thing. I guess its like smoking sigaretts? Meaningless but addictive? :p

ZankerH
November 3rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
For me it's the same thing, except that I find myself returning to Ubuntu, and not windows. It's like a part of me likes changing and optimising every aspect of the system and dabbling with the internal settings of everything, and the other part of me just wants a stable distro for everyday work.

I've found the compromise by using stable distros (Mainly ubuntu, fedora and debian) on boxes I use for everyday work (desktops, laptop, netbook and the home-server), and keeping a few old PCs around specifically for those times when I get the urge to try out stuff that's likely to screw a system up beyond redemption. Those will usually run Arch or Gentoo.

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
You said it! There is something that you miss with ubuntu, or a linux distro sometimes, but what is it actually? the human brain is a strange thing. I guess its like smoking sigaretts? Meaningless but addictive? :p

Yeah, the nicotine content of Ubuntu has never been measured! hehe :)

But yeah, there are many things that Ubuntu/Linux does better than Win and vice versa. Linux is just so kinda... liberating and powerful! :)

murderslastcrow
November 3rd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Well, with Linux, the worries and issues are much different. These days they usually don't crop up, especially if you happen to have bought a Linux Computer.

It's the same reason why a Mac user with suffer withdrawals on Windows XP, but then some. Fast, sexy, integrated. Community.

I must admit, although these things are all nice, the reason I can't go without Linux is my conscience. I don't feel comfortable using any DRM-saturated OS built by companies that seek dominance over people who want to work together and integrate everything. I mean, there is just so much more possible in Linux. A world of possibilities.

And besides, I personally have nothing to gain from using Windows. There's nothing necessary there.

joey-elijah
November 3rd, 2009, 11:53 PM
People seem to forget that you can just "use" Ubuntu, y'know. You don't -have- to tweak, root and play around with it. It's more than capable of just being used.

I dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu Karmic and whilst Ubuntu can do everything Windows does*, Ubuntu feels like home.

*within reason and stages of functionality

Sealbhach
November 4th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Dual boot. It doesn't have to be either/or.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 4th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I just like the feeling that my OS isn't going to be obsolete in a year or two. I also like to sit and watch people boot up their "blazing fast" windows 7 in twice the time it takes me to boot my machine during my CS/IT classes. :lolflag: But finally and most importantly to me, I just like the Gnome desktop environment and the package management system (repositories) that most distributions use. It just makes things so easy for me. I also like tinkering, I like to know what is going on with my machine.