PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Different wallpaper per workspace?

whitefort
November 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hi,

I've been using Gnome mostly, but I thought I'd like to try KDE again. I used to like the ability to have a different wallpaper per workspace, but I've forgotten how to do this.
(It's probably staring me in the face (if so, forgive me - I'm getting VERY old!))

Anyway, if someone can tell me where the config thingie has gone in the new KDE I'd appreciate it!

Thanks.

mrboojive
November 3rd, 2009, 11:21 PM
It's in kind of a strange location, but as far as I know, this is the only way to get to it. Go to your desktop, click on the "cashew" (the little thing in the upper right corner), and click on Zoom Out. This should bring you to a screen showing all of your desktops side by side. Then, in the menu in the upper left, click on "Configure Plasma," then check the box for "Different activity for each workspace." Then click OK and use the magnifying glass to zoom back in on your desktop.

whitefort
November 4th, 2009, 11:41 AM
MANY thanks for this - I don't think I would EVER have found that myself!!

I have to admit to having been a bit of a Gnome fanatic, but Gnome's recent tendency seems to be to make it harder and harder for the user to customise things, so I thought I'd give KDE another look (I don't think I've used it since back in the days of Dapper Drake!)

So far, I'm liking it a lot, though I think I'll probably switch it to the more traditional menu...

Anyway, once again, thanks a lot!!

3Miro
November 10th, 2009, 03:03 AM
One thanks from me too.

HDave
November 11th, 2009, 04:26 PM
This really works great. Been waiting for this from Gnome for 2 years. Incredibly, they had a summer-of-code project that finished this capability, but they never included it! Count me as another happy new KDE user.

whitefort
November 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM
This really works great. Been waiting for this from Gnome for 2 years. Incredibly, they had a summer-of-code project that finished this capability, but they never included it! Count me as another happy new KDE user.

Agreed. I've been waiting and hoping Gnome would do this, but (and this is only my VERY personal opinion, ie, quite possibly idiotic and wrong) it seems to me that Gnome has been doing the exact opposite and making it harder and harder to customise things.

Just one example - I hate that 'shutting down in thirty seconds' thingie. In Jaunty, I was able to right-click on the indicator applet, select prefs, and turn it off, to get an instant shutdown.
When I couldn't do this in the latest version I actually thought it might be a bug, and went along to report it. It was already reported, but the devs had replied that it was NOT a bug, but was "to simplify things for the user" - and that they have no intention of changing it.

This must be some strange use of the word 'simplify' that I haven't previously encountered. It was pretty simple to right-click my mouse. NOW, if I want to access those preferences, I have to start mucking around with gconf-editor...

Anyway, end of Gnome-gripe! So far my only KDE-grip has been the number of clicks it takes to get through the default menu structure - but at least that was VERY easy to change back to a traditional-type menu!