PDA

View Full Version : Firefox is so slow :(

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 09:35 PM
I would consider switching back to KDE from Win 7 just to get away from it! lol

Pages just take so long, it gets kinda frustrating ._.

An impatient Hoppi! :)

EDIT -- Sorry before I get attacked more lol, the reason I said it was OS related (erroneously) is because I was under the impression Chrome currently only runs on Windows Vista and XP, as that's what it claims on the download page. I have changed something in my registry and now it runs on 7! Woo! :) )

johnboy1313
November 3rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
ive been having the same problem kind of intermittently, but only when im running multiple programs (especially a bit torrent program) pages that youtube have been giving me probems too, i reset my modom and renewed my ip and it pretty much cleared it up

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Yes! I had to change a registry setting thing, but now Chrome is downloading! Woo!

I didn't think I would notice but I'm switching back now! :)

Muppeteer
Switch to Chrome, that's what i did :D

Dharmachakra
No one is forcing you to use Firefox on Windows.

EDIT: Nevermind.

pwnst*r
I would consider switching back to KDE from Win 7 just to get away from it! lol

Pages just take so long, it gets kinda frustrating ._.

An impatient Hoppi! :)

yeah, because it's OS related. <insertrolleyesemoticonhere>

-jay-
November 3rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Switch to Chrome, that's what i did :D

same here chrome loads pages faster in my eyes

Cuddles McKitten
No one is forcing you to use Firefox on Windows.

EDIT: Nevermind.

How do you know that? There may very well be someone next to his computer with a loaded shotgun just WAITING for him to install another web browser.

AvixK7
you could try Swiftfox. I've been using it and it seems more responsive that stock firefox 3.5.

speedwell68
November 3rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
you could try Swiftfox. I've been using it and it seems more responsive that stock firefox 3.5.

Word.:D

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 09:52 PM
Back on Chrome :)

I'm SURE it still feels a tad more sluggish though, but it's probably just my imagination, or maybe it's just because it had the pages cached on Linux (that's most likely the reason!) :)

pwnst*r
November 3rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
or because of the placebo effect. <-- spot on.

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM
or because of the placebo effect. <-- spot on.

Can we please stop this? Come on you can see I'm giving Windows a fair shot here, I've been chatting to Noah complementing half of it lol

I'm just trying to give a balanced critique as I go :)

I'm just saying that KDE feels faster on here at the moment, that's all o.O

johnboy1313
November 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
Yes! I had to change a registry setting thing, but now Chrome is downloading! Woo!

I didn't think I would notice but I'm switching back now! :)

I could never get used to chrome, i guess im a firefox loyalist

pwnst*r
November 3rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
you know how it is though, you need to come to the table with numbers before spouting such claims. considering how you jumped all over foobar without even doing the slightest bit of research proves my point.

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
you know how it is though, you need to come to the table with numbers before spouting such claims. considering how you jumped all over foobar without even doing the slightest bit of research proves my point.

that's a different issue though. I jumped on Foobar because BY DEFAULT it looks very dull. I didn't know it could use plugins or whatever because it wasn't made too obvious, and out of the box Banshee and Amarok are visually impressive and seem to do more o.O

pwnst*r
November 3rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
again, they "seem" to do more. that certainly wasn't your tone before, now was it? and for the record, they don't.

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 10:13 PM
again, they "seem" to do more. that certainly wasn't your tone before, now was it? and for the record, they don't.

yes but I didn't KNOW before. If the guy who made Foobar wanted me to know, he should have put some screenshots of it or something! A lot of people don't know it seems.

EDIT -- I don't mind though, that's his thing, I'm just saying it wasn't because those were Linux players that I preferred them.

joey-elijah
November 3rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
Not sure why you needed to edit the registry to download Chrome - i've never had one issue downloading it on Windows 7.

Are you trying to be "smart"?

SomeGuyDude
November 3rd, 2009, 11:49 PM
Firefox is probably the slowest browser available for Linux. Which is a shame because it's the most full-featured.

pwnst*r
November 3rd, 2009, 11:58 PM
Not sure why you needed to edit the registry to download Chrome - i've never had one issue downloading it on Windows 7.

i also would like to know.

hoppipolla
November 4th, 2009, 12:04 AM

No, no it said I had to. I tried to download it and it errored every time, on IE and Firefox. So, I clicked the help button, and I think it told me something called "Audit Mode" (is that right?) was on. And then it told me the registry value to clear, and I did that (these were the simplified instructions from Google), and then it installed fine.