PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [HELP!] Desktop Effects/Intel chip/Not working

Sourmiloko
November 3rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
[ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty]

Hi so I just installed Ubuntu and I love it, but the main reason I like it so much is the Compiz Destop effects. So at first I just went System>Preferences>Appearance and tryed to enable the desktop effects and it reported an error reading; "desktop effects could not be enabled." So I went online and found out that the following worked for most people;

(un-blacklisting the driver)
Code:

mkdir -p ~/.config/compiz/ && echo SKIP_CHECKS=yes >> ~/.config/compiz/compiz-managerAnd

(rolling back the driver)

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/siretart/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/siretart/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel-2.4----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also ran ./Compiz-check and this is what i got

Gathering information about your system...

Distribution: Ubuntu 9.04
Desktop environment: GNOME
Graphics chip: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)
Driver in use: intel
Rendering method: AIGLX

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system...

Checking for texture_from_pixmap... [ OK ]
Checking for non power of two support... [ OK ]
Checking for composite extension... [ OK ]
Checking for FBConfig... [ OK ]
Checking for hardware/setup problems... [ OK ]

Sourmiloko
November 3rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
Bump [Help please!]

Sourmiloko
November 3rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
My computer is a Compaq Presario SR1020NX

And when I run compiz in the terminal it goes to the wallpaper and mouse again no menus and the keyboard stops interacting.... I REALLY WANT DESKTOP EFFECTS!!!!! T_T

carolinason
November 3rd, 2009, 09:57 PM
this is weak but try upgrading to 9.10

Sourmiloko
November 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
I did that and had to reinstall 9.04 because it would log in with the cool new splash screen and after about five minuets would re-login and delete any changes i had made??? Also things just seemed very off, like green or purple lines as if corruption would appear in places, windows would go black... It was all around chaos so I switched back...

Sourmiloko
November 3rd, 2009, 10:29 PM
uggg -_______-

(bump)