PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else prefer Add/Remove to Ubuntu Software Center?

edin9
November 3rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Installing everything one thing at a time is a PITA.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 3rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I guess that is a PITA. I haven't had a problem because I usually use the cli anyway. I do like the new software center though, being able to see screenshots is a nice feature.

zekopeko
November 3rd, 2009, 07:56 PM

You are talking about USC? That's how every other package manager works. You download the packages and then you install them one at a time.

edin9
November 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
You are talking about USC? That's how every other package manager works. You download the packages and then you install them one at a time.

You have used USC and Add/Remove right?

Pasdar
November 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
its not even present in kubuntu and i didnt even use that when i used ubuntu... its mostly terminal for me now

edin9
November 3rd, 2009, 08:00 PM
.....its not even present in kubuntu....

*claps*

Tibuda
November 3rd, 2009, 08:00 PM
USC works differently. You can browse the center and add stuff to be installed, while stuff are being downloaded/installed.

CharlesA
November 3rd, 2009, 08:01 PM
I couldn't find how to remove (more then one) package using USC all at once. I'm not used to it yet, so that's probably why.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 3rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
its not even present in kubuntu and i didnt even use that when i used ubuntu... its mostly terminal for me now
Doesn't Kubuntu use KPackageKit? That's worse than either of the gnome choices by far. I always cli'd in kde. ALWAYS.

Of course there's always synaptic, which I could've used under kde, but didn't feel the need.

FuturePilot
I never really used either of them, (I prefer Synaptic) but from just playing around with the Software Center I like it a lot more than Gnome-app-install (AKA Add/Remove)

Zoot7
The Software Centre is a nice addition I think, it's very user friendly and I think even non-technical people should have no problem with it.

It's much of a muchness to me, I generally use sudo apt-get to install what I want, either that or synaptic.

edin9
November 3rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Doesn't Kubuntu use KPackageKit? That's worse than either of the gnome choices by far. I always cli'd in kde. ALWAYS.

KPackageKit sucks like a Dyson-*****.

samh785
November 3rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
For now I prefer Add/Remove, but you have to remember that this is the first iteration of the Software Center and it would be very easy to change it in a way that would allow multiple installations like Add/Remove has.

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 3rd, 2009, 08:09 PM
The Software Centre is a nice addition I think, it's very user friendly and I think even non-technical people should have no problem with it.

I agree. I think the software center will be great for the newbs and more experienced people can use synaptic or the command line.

Pasdar
November 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Canonical wants to make Ubuntu the open source equivalent of mac imo... thats why they add such things

guriinii
November 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
I prefer terminal. I occasionally use Synaptic.

xuCGC002
November 3rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
Canonical wants to make Ubuntu the open source equivalent of mac imo... thats why they add such things

Uh, you mind telling me where you're getting that message?

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 3rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
I agree. But I don't think that's a bad thing.

Although I do worry occasionally that Ubuntu gets more than it's fair share of credit for all things Linux. I wouldn't want Ubuntu to become the one ring to rule them all, but I don't think that will happen.

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 09:24 PM
I said Software Center. Even though I know what you mean and right now I would probably rather be in Add/Remove, Software Center has a unique charm that will pull in new users, and I'm sure will improve in leaps and bounds over the coming releases.

If I want to install multiple things I tend to use Synaptic tbh, I do fully see where you're coming from though, but give the SC a bit more time to mature :)

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 09:25 PM

in some ways I guess... but look at Dreamlinux if you want to see that o.O

joey-elijah
November 3rd, 2009, 11:51 PM
If not being able to install more than one app bothers you then just use Synaptic. It's hardly worth moaning about. You could even create yourself a shortcut for it where add/remove used to be.

running_rabbit07
November 4th, 2009, 12:12 AM

Is your Synaptic Package Manager broke? You can always learn to type one line commands that install multiple programs at once.

Adapt and overcome or complain?

edin9
November 4th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Is your Synaptic Package Manager broke? You can always learn to type one line commands that install multiple programs at once.

Adapt and overcome or complain?

Synaptic isn't exactly as straight forward as Add/Remove now is it?

speedwell68
November 4th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Out of the choice of USC and Add/Remove I have to say USC. But in reality my choice would be the terminal followed by Synaptic.:D

speedwell68
November 4th, 2009, 12:20 AM

Yes it is.

edin9
November 4th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Yes it is.

No it isn't. The layout is cluttered and confusing compared to Add/Remove.

running_rabbit07
November 4th, 2009, 12:23 AM

Yes, it is. You want pidgin, search pidgin, you want FF3.5, search firefox-3.5, just takes a bit of thought process.

Don't want to use your brain to figure out what to install? Google it and find the command line. Be glad you can do free installs. You may use other OSes that require you to buy an install disk or pay for a download.

qamelian
November 4th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Personally, I hate them both and prefer to use Synaptic if I need/want to use a GUI for package management.

qamelian
November 4th, 2009, 12:25 AM

Yes, it is, and Synaptic contains more useful info than Add/Remove or USC, as well. I find Add/Remove and USC both to be equally annoying and frustrating to use.

running_rabbit07
November 4th, 2009, 12:26 AM

Then maybe you are easily confused. Add/Remove can't even uninstall most programs, you have to go to Synaptic to do that anyway. You could even install Add/Remove from a Debian repository if you wanted.

edin9
November 4th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Yes, it is. You want pidgin, search pidgin, you want FF3.5, search firefox-3.5, just takes a bit of thought process.

Don't want to use your brain to figure out what to install? Google it and find the command line. Be glad you can do free installs. You may use other OSes that require you to buy an install disk or pay for a download.

You're missing the point. Add/Remove made adding programs simple to the end user compared to Synaptic. Why do you think it exist(s)((ed))?

running_rabbit07
November 4th, 2009, 12:28 AM
You're missing the point. Add/Remove made adding programs simple to the end user compared to Synaptic. Why do you think it exist(s)((ed))?

Quit fighting change. It is inevitable and out of your hands.

hoppipolla
November 4th, 2009, 12:31 AM

I think to be fair he has a point with this. Add/Remove is CURRENTLY still more powerful in some ways at least than the Software Center, but it's still in Karmic and will be in future releases anyway right?

The Software Center will get better edin, give it time, it's quite an ambitious project from what I have seen :)

qamelian
November 4th, 2009, 12:31 AM

It also omits quite a few things making it difficult to find packages you may want or need. It's fine for some like me who can use the CLI tools, but not so good for someone new who only knows Add/Remove and has been told they need to install this or that library.

edin9
November 4th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Quit fighting change. It is inevitable and out of your hands.

I use Kubuntu so it doesn't affect me. In fact if anything it gives me a little impartiality. In it's current state USC is a PITA to use compared to Add/Remove IMO.

Dark Aspect
November 4th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I pefer the synaptic package manager to both and I think that should be on the poll. I mean how much harder is it to use the synaptic package manager over add/remove programs. I didn't even realize it was missing!

edin9
November 4th, 2009, 12:35 AM
It also omits quite a few things making it difficult to find packages you may want or need. It's fine for some like me who can use the CLI tools, but not so good for someone new who only knows Add/Remove and has been told they need to install this or that library.

Talk about going OT lol. This thread is about USC and Add/Remove NOT Synaptic. Synaptic is great but it's not very user friendly to a noobie.

running_rabbit07
November 4th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I use Kubuntu so it doesn't effect me. In fact if anything it gives me a little impartiality. In it's current state USC is a PITA to use compared to Add/Remove IMO.

If it doesn't affect you, then why make the thread? Is this thread a flame bait? Are you trying to start a flame war over something that doesn't even have an effect on you?

running_rabbit07
November 4th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Talk about going OT lol. This thread is about USC and Add/Remove NOT Synaptic. Synaptic is great but it's not very user friendly to a noobie.

When I came to Ubuntu, not so long ago, I attempted to use Add/Remove. It said it could not perform the function I needed, for me to use Synaptic. I have been doing so ever since. It is not that hard.

Dark Aspect
November 4th, 2009, 12:41 AM

I beg to differ, the synaptic package manager is user friendly. It would appear the goal here is to make it idiot proof.

User friendliness != idiot proof

edin9
November 4th, 2009, 12:41 AM
If it doesn't affect you, then why make the thread? Is this thread a flame bait? Are you trying to start a flame war over something that doesn't even have an effect on you?

Oh dear god. Yes you caught me I'm trying to cause a flamewar. It wasn't really because I tried Ubuntu 9.10 and thought that USC was inferior to Add/Remove.

running_rabbit07
November 4th, 2009, 12:47 AM
This thread is going nowhere fast.

hoppipolla
November 4th, 2009, 12:49 AM
When I came to Ubuntu, not so long ago, I attempted to use Add/Remove. It said it could not perform the function I needed, for me to use Synaptic. I have been doing so ever since. It is not that hard.

Synaptic is a lot for an average user though. Software Center is the way to go IMO, but it needs a bit more work! Being on Windows 7 has made me realize how fantastic some elements of Ubuntu are :)

edin9
November 4th, 2009, 12:51 AM
This thread is going nowhere fast.

So you were trying to derail the thread? Now I understand. Congratulations, you're the first resident of my ignore list.

running_rabbit07
November 4th, 2009, 12:58 AM
So you were trying to derail the thread? Now I understand. Congratulations, you're the first resident of my ignore list.

How could I be derailing the thread? It isn't getting anywhere.

You have not came up with a viable argument that would make Canonical change their plans, whatever they may be.

As I explained, If you want to find a program to install, it is very easily installed in USC. If you are restoring a system and know what you want to install, and want everything installed at once, then you should be competent enough to install them all via Syanaptic.

I don't know which is more irritating when ignoring someone. Seeing that they have posted and not knowing what they have said, or having to remove them from ignore to quote them. Do whatever makes you smile inside.

hoppipolla
November 4th, 2009, 01:00 AM
hey! stop ignoring the person who actually comes close to agreeing with you! lol

Personally, I think you are nearly right edin but you need to look at the future, not just the present :)

pwnst*r
November 4th, 2009, 01:01 AM
i think the software center is great for those that are new to Ubuntu. keep it.

edin9
November 4th, 2009, 01:03 AM
hey! stop ignoring the person who actually comes close to agreeing with you! lol

Personally, I think you are nearly right edin but you need to look at the future, not just the present :)

Oh man, do people never read all the posts? :P
I use Kubuntu so it doesn't affect me. In fact if anything it gives me a little impartiality. In it's current state USC is a PITA to use compared to Add/Remove IMO. I said that on the last page!

running_rabbit07
November 4th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Oh man, do people never read all the posts? :P I said that on the last page!

Change your settings, I am still on page one. I read all of the posts and even reported the one where you used vulgar language.

Add/Remove is not much different than Software Center. I think it actually breaks down the programs into better categories.

Change is inevitable.

KiwiNZ
November 4th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Closed for cool off and review