PDA

View Full Version : Is there a terninal emulator with syntax highligting for bash?

MaxIBoy
November 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Is there such a thing? And if so, what is it?

(FISH has something like this, but FISH doesn't count, because it's not BASH.)

To clarify, I want something along the lines of what you get in a text editor, but I want it to appear real-time as I type it in a terminal emulator.

The screenshot is a screenshot of a text editor showing a bash script I wrote; this is more or less the style of syntax highlighting I'd like.

Xbehave
November 3rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
I think you would do the syntax highlighting with bash not the terminal emulator
some of these may help help:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/x329.html
http://www.funtoo.org/en/articles/linux/tips/prompt/
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Color_Bash_Prompt

if you want some examples I have this in bashrc:

# User specific aliases and functions
GREP_OPTIONS='--color=auto'
LESS=-R

and the following in /etc/profile.d/ (its called colorls.sh but UF doesn't like that)

Dragonbite
November 3rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
Sounds interesting.

MaxIBoy
November 3rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Yes, you I know how to change the prompt color, buth that's not what I'm looking for.

I want proper syntax highlighting like you'd get in a text editor. I'm editing a screenshot into my first post.

cb951303
November 3rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
then it's the job of the text editor?

FuturePilot
November 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
I don't think there's too much sense in writing a ton of code directly into the shell. You can't exactly do line breaks and stuff. I think if you're writing that much code it makes a lot more sense to use a text editor.

Xbehave
November 3rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
I don't think there's too much sense in writing a ton of code directly into the shell. You can't exactly do line breaks and stuff. I think if you're writing that much code it makes a lot more sense to use a text editor.

echo meet \
the \
/\ \
character

FuturePilot
November 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
echo meet \
the \
/\ \
character

Ok, well I mean is you can't organize the code that well, and it becomes hard to go back and edit things if you have a lot of code.

Simian Man
November 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
echo meet \
the \
/\ \
character

And if you make a mistake, you have to type it all out again. I agree with FuturePilot; if I'm typing so much that highlighting will be helpful, I'm using vim anyway.

Xbehave
November 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
And if you make a mistake, you have to type it all out again.
meet the up key

I agree with FuturePilot; if I'm typing so much that highlighting will be helpful, I'm using vim anyway.
that's nice for you two, but not everybody has to work in the same way.

FuturePilot
November 3rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
meet the up key

The up key usually brings up the previous command ran from your history.

that's nice for you two, but not everybody has to work in the same way.
True. Just throwing my $.02 out there. For me at least doing such coding is much easier in a text editor. But whatever floats your boat.

Xbehave
November 3rd, 2009, 08:53 PM
The up key usually brings up the previous command ran from your history.

[juan@Juan-fedora ~]$ eco \
> meet \
> the \
> /\ \
> key
bash: eco: command not found
[juan@Juan-fedora ~]$ eco meet the /\ key

You loose the multi-line formatting but the command is there for editing

True. Just throwing my $.02 out there. For me at least doing such coding is much easier in a text editor. But whatever floats your boat.
Sorry If i was overly harsh, bad day, it sounded like you were dismissing his idea when you were just giving your $.02 after rereading I realise it was just friendly advice, probably good advice, I too do most of my coding in a text editor (largely because it was python). my bad

Still i hope somebody posts a way to do what MaxIBoy wants because it would be pretty cool, but I think it would have to be done by the emulator instead of bash to keep the code itself unedited, alternatively a non-bash shell may be able to do it