PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu moving toward limited configuration a la apple?

jimmy the saint
November 3rd, 2009, 05:41 PM
I have been away from Ubuntu for a while and I am noticing that there are a LOT of things that cannot be configured (Notification bubbles, the shutdown timer, gdm, etc.) Is this a trend? Is Ubuntu moving towards the apple philosophy of "our way or no way" or is it just because this is a short term release wit a bunch of fairly new tools being implemented?

To be clear, I am NOT trying to start a debate about the merits of a minimally configurable system. I am just curious if this is an intentional trend or simply due to the new nature of a lot of the tools. I spent a lot of time with Arch over the last year and became a bit of a customization junky!

Thanks

JTS

Pasdar
November 3rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
I have been away from Ubuntu for a while and I am noticing that there are a LOT of things that cannot be configured (Notification bubbles, the shutdown timer, gdm, etc.) Is this a trend? Is Ubuntu moving towards the apple philosophy of "our way or no way" or is it just because this is a short term release wit a bunch of fairly new tools being implemented?

To be clear, I am NOT trying to start a debate about the merits of a minimally configurable system. I am just curious if this is an intentional trend or simply due to the new nature of a lot of the tools. I spent a lot of time with Arch over the last year and became a bit of a customization junky!

Thanks

JTS

I think that has to do with GNOME rather than Ubuntu....

23meg
November 3rd, 2009, 05:56 PM

It's both.

GDM being less configurable and the shutdown timer are due to the switch to the new GDM, but lack of configuration for Notify OSD is intentional.

earthpigg
November 3rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
Is Ubuntu moving toward limited configuration a la apple?

not as long as we can still start with command line installs, it isn't.