PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10

yorkshireflatcap
November 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
All,

Firstly, let me apologise if this has been asked a thousand times, but I feel that I've exhausted all other avenues without much sucess.

I've recently upgraded - through the software manager - from 9.04 to 9.10 and I'm having all sorts of problems!! I've been reading that this upgrade is experiencing a few 'teething' problems!!

After the upgrade is complete, I restart my laptop and I get Kernel Panic - Not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0) :confused:

I've been trying to correct the situation, but I feel I'm getting a little out of my depth here - especially on the administrator side of things.

If I select the option at boot up Ubuntu 8.10, kernal 2.6.27-9-generic (on /dev/sda1), it allows me into the OS, but my file system has my user profile, and directory structure on another partition (I think sda7). So I can see my files, but I need my password to access them. :confused:

Is there a way where I can roll back to previous version, 9.04 and try and do a fresh install?

Regards

Yorki

yorkshireflatcap
November 3rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
What if I do a fresh install?? will I have to back up all my files that I wish to keep?? Please help as I am really struggling to fix this issue!

Many thanks

NoaHall
November 3rd, 2009, 06:46 PM
If you do a fresh install, it'll work fine. The problem seems to be that the location of the OS is wrong. Try going into 8.10 and running "sudo update-grub"

yorkshireflatcap
November 3rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
After I've done sudo update-grub then what? Apoologies for the silly questions, but I'm relitively new to Ubuntu... since V8.

Regards

John

yorkshireflatcap
November 3rd, 2009, 09:04 PM
Does anyone know how to do a rollback to a previous version of Ubuntu as the latest version seems to be SNAFU.

Thanks