PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems getting Computer to boot

p3aul
November 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Hi!
I tried ubuntu 9.10 from the CD and wanted to install it to my harddrive. I chose from the dialog box to have a side-by-side install with Winxp. I have two harddrives one is partitioned into two with Windows XP pro on the D patition. I also have a 1 terrabyte external drive. I wanted to install ubuntu on the c:\ partition since it is now almost free of files and it is internal when i tried to install manually it would't let me, something about root files and having to change on the partition menu as it was installing. I couldn't find the partition menu so I went back and just let it do an automatic install. It chose the external drive but let me adjust the parttion, which i did for 50 gigabytes. Everything went smoothly and i was instructed to reboot. Everything went ok untill it said it was either loading grub or searching for grub. Then it said it couldn't find disk and then a prompt appeared with the word
GRUB and a prompt ">" Now it won't load Ubuntu or Windows. The only way I have now to get on the internet is by the CD, which I don't want to continue to do. Can someone help me please?

Thanks,
Paul

djftl
November 3rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
I have exactly the same problem, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 in a separate drive and I had pproblems but could still let me choose the os ubuntu and windows. Then I decided to install within windows and it worked well. But when I went to delete the partition that had the first ubuntu that's when I could not boot the system. It said GRUB Loading...please wait, ERROR 17. I reinstalled ubuntu again then it said GRUB loading...please wait, ERROR 18!!
Please we need some help guys. I figured we have the same problem hence I did not post a seperate post.

Regards
Tobela

p3aul
November 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
well..almost. i get apparently the GRUB prompt but what it acutally says is
GRUB RESCUE > But it hangs their and won't accept any input the keyboard is dead.
One other thing. After I rebooted(from the CD) I typed grub in the terminal. a msg came back with what I had to type to install GRUB, I typed it and it installed grub for me so I know it's there.

djftl
November 4th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Have a look at my post maybe u can find something.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8238138#post8238138

Sure!