PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft and Opensource: the way the two will excist together

Derek Djons
February 16th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I've read an interesting article on Ars Technica.

Microsoft's Linux lab works on Open-Source interoperability (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060117-5998.html)

It describes Microsofts Linux en Open Source Software Lab from the inside. The lab was setup to learn about Open Source and Linux. But now the lab has changed into a pro-Linux attitude lab where Microsoft employees even submit bugs to Linux developers about their products.

Maybe this is the future for the upcoming twenty years? In the article Micrsoft states that more and more of it's customers (mostly enterprise) like to use opensource applications on top of their Microsoft OS. But since there are still some difficulties and bugs Microsoft is helping out.

Is this going to be a likely scenario?

mips
February 16th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I would like to see everyone Windows, Apple, Unix, Linux, VMS and whatever other OS is out there use open standards. This will lead to better interoperability. Would be nice if every sigle computer document/file out there adhered to open standards.

It's the only way to go and I think everybody relaises it.

Also seems to have Bills blessing. http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/execmail/2005/02-03interoperability.asp

Leo_01
February 16th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I've read an interesting article on Ars Technica.

Microsoft's Linux lab works on Open-Source interoperability (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060117-5998.html)

It describes Microsofts Linux en Open Source Software Lab from the inside. The lab was setup to learn about Open Source and Linux. But now the lab has changed into a pro-Linux attitude lab where Microsoft employees even submit bugs to Linux developers about their products.

Maybe this is the future for the upcoming twenty years? In the article Micrsoft states that more and more of it's customers (mostly enterprise) like to use opensource applications on top of their Microsoft OS. But since there are still some difficulties and bugs Microsoft is helping out.

Is this going to be a likely scenario?

I have reasons to belive that the ads dept dun work this MS so called "open source" lab.

bonzodog
February 16th, 2006, 01:07 PM
It is well known that Bill likes the way Open Source works, and has persuaded MS devels to submit code fixes to MS interoperable projects like Gaim, and Samba, and wine. Bill Gates was quoted last year as saying that in 10 years he believes there will only really be Linux and Microsoft as the two main players in the OS market.

Leo_01
February 16th, 2006, 01:47 PM
maybe MS is working a Linux disto of Windows?

WildTangent
February 16th, 2006, 02:53 PM
maybe MS is working a Linux disto of Windows?
Let's hope not...

-Wild

mips
February 16th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Let's hope not...

-Wild

Why not ? Only problem is I dont think the GPL license will ever suite them, they will have better commercial options with the BSD licence.

nalmeth
February 16th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Um, I'm not thrilled by the possibility. This open-source lab calms linux users a bit, and contributes very little to the movement. They probably contribute bug reports because the individuals love computers, code, and likely linux. Also, keeping the project in a "lab" gives linux the essence of a 'work in progress' not ready for everyday use, like plastic that can be grown organically.
I really think this is a way of MS recognizing that linux exists (very quietly), and at the same time showing that it is little more than a lab experiment.
MS releasing a linux distro would mean that Bill Gates is long gone and dead, and that MS has finally been beaten out.
Of course Mr. Gates says that in 10 years there will only be linux and microsoft. Linux will outlast cockroaches in the event of apocalyptic disaster. It will always be there, even if it is forced to retreat to programmers dusty murky basements to reorganize
'la resistance lives on' :twisted:

The two will coexist as open-source and closed-source, until some time far in the future. You can run open-source on closed-source, and closed-source on open-source. I'm fine with that.

This MSlinuxOS sounds like a fantasy.

prizrak
February 17th, 2006, 12:52 AM
I have trouble believing that article. If MS wanted interoperability they could have just opened up their standards and protocols and let us implement them in FOSS software. That lab is ONLY for their big customers that would switch completely if MS didn't help them resolve some issues.

xequence
February 17th, 2006, 01:28 AM
They can very easily live together. The only things stopping them from doing so are Linux Zealots and Windows Zealots ;)

nalmeth
February 17th, 2006, 03:52 AM
The only things stopping them from doing so are Linux Zealots and Windows Zealots

Or are they the primary pushers of the debate?

prizrak
February 17th, 2006, 05:32 AM
They can very easily live together. The only things stopping them from doing so are Linux Zealots and Windows Zealots ;)
Unless you are joking, I think you missed the point. The point being that FOSS software often can't communicate with MS software because of the closed standards. Like the inability of Linux to write into NTFS reliably or having full support for .doc files by Abiword or OO. Zealotry is bad on either side of the tracks but the way it is right now switching to Linux has costs beyond the learning curve. For instance in my case when I use SAMBA over wireless my transfers fail quite often if they are over about 300megs that was not the case using NFS (which I cannot use with Windows).