PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty -> Karmic upgrade

NPH0RM
November 3rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hi, i just upgraded for jaunty to karmic. Installation went well until reboot: screen kept black!
I restarted my computer in kernel 2.6.31 recovery mode and got finally to the console. login worked. startx didn't. screen kept black again.
Again i restarted with kernel 2.6.28. login worked, but i can't hear a sound and my touchpad doesn't work. that's lame. waiting for the next upgrade with better karma...

I am using Samsung R41 notebook with ATI Radeon XPress200M.

pi4r0n
November 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
And this is your problem mate :(

ATI Radeon XPress200M.

You can try 2 things:

Install clean Ubuntu system from DVD. This help few on my friends
Update Drivers in Ubuntu

Cheers

pi4r0n

NPH0RM
November 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
lol, that shouldn't be the problem, it worked with jaunty and is working with kernel 9.6.28

peakpc
November 7th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I have a laptop (Compaq V5000) with a ATI xpress 200m. I did not upgrade but, started fresh 32bit... video does work with kernel 2.6.31-14, even Compiz and video seem to run smoother than in 9.04 however the kernel mode-setting ATI drivers seem to be still a work in progress as if I switch users, suspend or hibernate it resumes to a black (blank) screen with no recourse but to reset. :( I hope that there is enough of us complaining to make this a priority to fix soon.

pi4r0n
November 9th, 2009, 09:34 AM
the kernel mode-setting ATI drivers seem to be still a work in progress as if I switch users, suspend or hibernate it resumes to a black (blank) screen with no recourse but to reset. :(

:lolflag: I got ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 Series (512 MB) and I have got the same problem like you peakpc (with hibernate or resumes modes).

Ta

pi4r0n

crashflow
November 9th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I also have a Samsung R41 laptop with an ATI X 200m. When I try to boot the Kubuntu 9.10 Live CD, the screen just remains black.

This is not an ubuntu-specific problem I think, since my Fedora 12 installation based on rawhide also ceased to work normally after installing the latest updates. I can only access the system with nomodeset on runlevel 3 - When starting X, the system hangs instantly.

When I find the time, I will try again and file a proper bug report - but basically ATI X 200m support seems to be broken completely.

Regards
crashflow

peakpc
November 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM
The person most responsible for the Kernel mode-setting ATI driver is Jerome Glisse acording to this article (http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/118724) and it would seem that he is working on this issue as it is on his "to do" list, however, maybe a few nicely written words of encouragement might help. Then of course it has to be incorporated into the next Kernel update.

Patience is a virtue I'm still working on.

bertmanphx
November 11th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Peak,
I do not know if this is related, but the symptoms seem very similar. See the posts here (http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1307618)

I've got the same video card, and when resuming from suspend or hibernate, bet the dreaded black screen.

bertmanphx

peakpc
November 22nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Yes I have posted on that thread as well. I am thinking that kernel 2.6.32 might have the solution. hopefully it will come out in December so we can give it a try.

bertmanphx
November 22nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Hello,
Actually, I solved this issue for me by installing the xorg ATI and radeon driver from the Jaunty repository.

bertmanphx

LoloftheRings
November 22nd, 2009, 10:29 PM
It actually works for me with the same kernel as ubuntu 9.10 (running arch linux). I just installed the driver from amd.com (not recommended, only if you really know what you're doing) and it all works.

Ati drivers do not support every kernel, and the drivers are often crappy. Nvidia is a better bet.
Ati works, but not as it should be.