PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install

anw0625
November 3rd, 2009, 04:06 PM
If I install the new 9.10 ubuntu will it wipe out my harddrive?

gordintoronto
November 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
There are a couple of ways to install, so the answer is, "it depends."

If you have Windows installed on the hard drive, you can install from within Windows, without any damage to the hard drive.

If you have Windows installed on the hard drive, and can "shrink" the space it uses so you can create a new partition large enough for Ubuntu, you can create a "normal" dual-boot system without any damage to the existing files on the hard drive.

Or, you can do an install which wipes out your hard drive and installs Ubuntu on it.

And I'm pretty sure there's at least one more option.

anw0625
November 3rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
I have ubuntu 8. something already installed on my computer and just want to update and dont want to loose everything.

gordintoronto
November 4th, 2009, 05:46 AM
If you have everything in one partition, the only way to keep all your data is to upgrade from the version you are using, to the next version, then to the one after that, etc.

If you have separate / and home partitions, you can create a list of all the applications you have installed, install the latest release, then re-install all the applications.

DarKnightVIII
November 5th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Or, you can do an install which wipes out your hard drive and installs Ubuntu on it.

That's what I want to do...I have Vista 32 bit Home Basic (worst OS evaaaa!). Anyways, how do I do this? I'm brand-new to Linux/Ubuntu. So, yeah ):P

What I did was a complete factory restore so my comp is back to factory condition. Would I be better off somehow wiping the hard-drive then installing? Or is can I just do the install over Windows and it'll get rid of everything non-linux related?

I guess I'm nervous because I've never done this before.

dhavalbbhatt
November 5th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I have ubuntu 8. something already installed on my computer and just want to update and dont want to loose everything.

In your case, you might be better off upgrading from 8.10 to 9.04 to 9.10. That way, you will be able to keep all your settings and files. I would suggest that you back up your home folder though - just a best practice.

dhavalbbhatt
November 5th, 2009, 02:40 AM
That's what I want to do...I have Vista 32 bit Home Basic (worst OS evaaaa!). Anyways, how do I do this? I'm brand-new to Linux/Ubuntu. So, yeah ):P

What I did was a complete factory restore so my comp is back to factory condition. Would I be better off somehow wiping the hard-drive then installing? Or is can I just do the install over Windows and it'll get rid of everything non-linux related?

I guess I'm nervous because I've never done this before.

I would suggest you partition your HDD - one for your existing Vista and one where you will install Ubuntu. If you need help partitioning, let this forum know, you will get plenty of help!

gordintoronto
November 6th, 2009, 01:37 AM

During the installation, you will have the option of partitioning your hard drive. I suggest you wipe out the existing partition, then create new partitions for / (perhaps 15 to 25 GB) then swap (1 to 2 times memory), and /home for the rest.