PDA

View Full Version : 10 Reasons Why Google Chrome Should Be Your Default Web Browser!

HappinessNow
November 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
After doing a Google Search I found this Great Article, originally here:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/10-reasons-why-google-chrome-should-be-your-default-web-browser-and-plugins-list.html

Which was originally posted here:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/10/10-reasons-why-google-chrome-should-be.html

Honestly the guy who posted the article had great hindsight, back on Sunday, October 04, 2009 I probably wouldn't have adopted Google Chrome/Chromium as my default Web Browser but after the latest Developers Build and the full integration of Google Chrome/Chromium Extensions; adopting Google Chrome/Chromium as your default Web Browser is simply a NO brainer!

To read more about my personal choice to adopt Google Chrome/Chromium as my default Web Browser go here:
I just made Google Chrome my default web browser! (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308564)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308564
(has a lovely Poll attached also) :p

Algus
November 3rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Chrome really is a great browser. I had it as my main browser for awhile but ended up reverting back to Firefox because of a couple website-specific extensions that I really like. If the time ever comes that I stop visiting those sites, I'll probably end up making Chrome my main browser again. Got high hopes for Google's OS too.

HappinessNow
November 3rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Chrome really is a great browser. I had it as my main browser for awhile but ended up reverting back to Firefox because of a couple website-specific extensions that I really like. If the time ever comes that I stop visiting those sites, I'll probably end up making Chrome my main browser again. Got high hopes for Google's OS too.
I hunger and thirst with passion to use Google Chrome OS!

madhi19
November 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
One reason why it not going to be my default browser: Firefox Add-ons!

metallicamike
November 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
I just sent in a form for download. Can't wait to try it.

HappinessNow
November 3rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Then the one thing that will change your mind is the further development of Chrome Extensions:

http://www.chromeextensions.org/

(Which by the way if you don't see your favorite Firefox Add-on available in Google Chrome/Chromium you could always development it.) :p

konqueror7
November 3rd, 2009, 03:09 PM
until chromium can attain the level of extensibility and stability of firefox, then the idea being the default is not far. but as of now, no way, chromium still lacks good support on a variety of extensions to match firefox's...

and oh, i think you misspelled chromium in your sig...:D

HappinessNow
November 3rd, 2009, 03:10 PM
I just sent in a form for download. Can't wait to try it.
Not sure what you mean by sent a form?

Try this method instead:

add the ppa like so:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chromium-dailykey is automatically added.

Chrome Extensions work by default with the new Developers Build Ver. 4.0.223.11 then simply install them via here:

http://www.chromeextensions.org/

HappinessNow
November 3rd, 2009, 03:13 PM
and oh, i think you misspelled chromium in your sig...:Dahh in the quote you mean?

Thanks, I'll correct it.

metallicamike
November 3rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Didn't work.

HappinessNow
November 3rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Didn't work.Did you reference the launchpad page:

https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa (https://launchpad.net/%7Echromium-daily/+archive/ppa)

read this:

How do I use software from a PPA?

To start installing and using software from a Personal Package Archive, you first need to tell Ubuntu where to find the PPA and how to verify the authenticity of its software.
Adding the PPA to Ubuntu

Step 1: Copy the first line from the apt sources.list entries section of the PPA overview page. For example:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/awn-testing/ubuntu jaunty main
Step 2: On your Ubuntu computer, open System > Administration > Software Sources.
Step 3: Click the Third Party Software tab.
https://launchpad.net/+help/soyuz/images/software-sources-3rdparty-tab.png Step 4: Click the Add button.
Step 5: Paste the line you copied in step 1 and click the Add Source button.
Step 6: Now copy the second line from the apt sources.list entries section of the PPA overview page and paste it in just as you did in steps 4 and 5.
When prompted, reload the software sources information. Don't worry if you see a warning about unverified software sources; we're going to fix that next.
Telling Ubuntu how to authenticate the PPA

Now Ubuntu knows about the PPA. It also needs to know how to check the software hasn't been tampered with since Launchpad built it.
Note: This is not an endorsement of any of the software in PPAs. You must make sure you trust the PPA owner before installing their software.
Step 1: On the PPA's overview page you'll see the PPA's OpenPGP key id. It'll look something like this: 1024/12345678. Copy it, or make a note of, the portion after the slash, e.g: 12345678.
Step 2: Open your terminal and enter:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 12345678
Replace 12345678 with the key id you copied in step 1.
Step 3: Finally, tell Ubuntu to re-load the details of each software archive it knows about:
sudo apt-get update
You're now ready to install software from the PPA!
Read more about Personal Package Archives (https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA) in our help wiki.
https://launchpad.net/+help/soyuz/ppa-sources-list.html

If your using Karmic then follow this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=134507&d=1257258091 (https://launchpad.net/%7Echromium-daily/+archive/ppa)https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa (https://launchpad.net/%7Echromium-daily/+archive/ppa)

konqueror7
November 3rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
@今幸福 aren't you also in the Google Wave thread? you seem to be a google fan...:D

ctrlmd
November 3rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
I Don't like it :(

Colonel Kilkenny
November 3rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
Could we slown down a bit with these Chrome-Chromium-Wave-Android threads? I mean a one or two about Chrome/Chromium is ok, but when there's a few new coming every day it is a bit irritating when everything else gets buried.

HappinessNow
November 3rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
@今幸福 aren't you also in the Google Wave thread? you seem to be a google fan...:DFunny for years I used to abhor Google and then I got royally screwed over by Yahoo and made the switch to gmail and there has been No turning back.

I like Google's products and how they do business, No business is perfect of course but they are bringing great products to us.

I like Google better then Apple and/or Microsoft.

emigrant
November 3rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
i still can't use chromium for two things:
1) no WYSIWYG support
2) no TOR extension

:(

HappinessNow
November 3rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Could we slown down a bit with these Chrome-Chromium-Wave-Android threads? I mean a one or two about Chrome/Chromium is ok, but when there's a few new coming every day it is a bit irritating when everything else gets buried.
Good point this will be my last thread on the subject.

Brakes applied. :p

koshatnik
November 3rd, 2009, 03:45 PM
I recently tried it. Conclusion: it allows you to browse the internet.

Don't see what all the fuss is about. Why is everyone evangelising on this?

emigrant
November 3rd, 2009, 03:47 PM
great analysis koshatnik (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=105583) keep it up :D

purgatori
November 3rd, 2009, 03:48 PM
For me personally, all the pros of Google Chrome are for naught until there is a vi-like interface available for it (a-la Vimperator).

jeyaganesh
November 3rd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Among those 10 reasons, except 'Speed' other reasons are not so impressive.:D

koshatnik
November 3rd, 2009, 03:59 PM
great analysis koshatnik (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=105583) keep it up :D

Err, yeah.

adeypoop
November 3rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
I'll stick with Firefox thanks. (Or in fact swiftfox which is an optimised rebuild of firefox) Nothing against google but i 'd prefer to use Open Source software when there is a perfectly good solution available.

RiceMonster
November 3rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
1) no WYSIWYG support

What?

aysiu
November 3rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Chrome's tab behavior doesn't fit with the way I roll. I like my save-for-later tabs. So no on Chrome/Chromium. No on Opera. Yes on Firefox for me.

cb951303
November 3rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
I'll stick with Firefox thanks. (Or in fact swiftfox which is an optimised rebuild of firefox) Nothing against google but i 'd prefer to use Open Source software when there is a perfectly good solution available.

so I guess it's time for you to learn that chromium is open source :lolflag:

speedwell68
November 3rd, 2009, 09:54 PM

It is OpenSource, or at least Chromium is. I will also still use Swiftfox, it is faster than Chrome and I just don't trust Google enough to let them power my browser,

PhoHammer
November 4th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I hunger and thirst with passion to use Google Chrome OS!

Finally! It seems everywhere I turn someone is dogging it without it even being out yet! I can't wait
for it!

kk0sse54
November 4th, 2009, 05:17 AM
1 Reason Why Google Chrome Shouldn't be My Default Web Browser: No Vimperator

Sorry vimlike-smoozie doesn't cut it

PurposeOfReason
November 4th, 2009, 05:20 AM
1 Reason Why Google Chrome Shouldn't be My Default Web Browser: No Vimperator

Sorry vimlike-smoozie doesn't cut it
This. They get vimperator and I'm there.

Khakilang
November 4th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Firefox is tried and tested for years. Performance, stable, secure and third party support. Chromium is new. I may use as a browser backup in case Firefox crash. If that ever happen.

Dimitriid
November 4th, 2009, 07:05 AM
OK I am trying chrome right now but this website in particular looks different: the dividing lines between posts and threads are usually thin and almost transparent, now they are quite apparent and it feels like I am looking at an excel sheet.

Is there any way to have em display in a more subtle way?

OffHand
November 4th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I'll give you one reason why it shouldn't... it's made by an advertising- and data mining company.

LookTJ
November 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I'll give you one reason why it shouldn't... it's made by an advertising- and data mining company.
Sorry to break it to you, everyone data mine, there is no privacy on the Internet. ;)

I'm sure Google isn't the only advertising company on the Internet, but they sure are the biggest. :p
EDIT: and no, I will not argue about this in this thread.

Chrome is good, but I can't run away from my Firefox addons. :P. Sure there are extensions, but not all of them cut me off from Firefox.

:)

koshatnik
November 4th, 2009, 10:38 AM
So, in conclusion, Chrome is yet another browser that has attracted its own legion on fanboys that feel the need to evanglise about it, despite the fact that it is just a browser with not a single feature that would make anyone want to switch from firefox or opera.

In a nutshell?

hessiess
November 4th, 2009, 11:10 AM
For me personally, all the pros of Google Chrome are for naught until there is a vi-like interface available for it (a-la Vimperator).

this.

OffHand
November 4th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Sorry to break it to you, everyone data mine, there is no privacy on the Internet. ;)

I see your point.... My point is that I am going to try and make it as difficult as possible to get useful info about my surfing habits.

Actually I can surf anonymously. I use a VPN provider that does not log anything at all. (This, in the end, is of course also a matter of trust).

LookTJ
November 4th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I see your point.... My point is that I am going to try and make it as difficult as possible to get useful info about my surfing habits.

Actually I can surf anonymously. I use a VPN provider that does not log anything at all. (This, in the end, is of course also a matter of trust).
I see your point, it's your choice to use Google's products or not, or even Yahoo's.

But in my experience, secrets and habits always come out in the end. Because the more a thing consumes, the more you are letting others know it is a habit.

:) Anyways, I'm always up for a healthy debate. :P

Pasdar
November 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
For the past few days (since I installed Karmic) I haven't been getting my daily updates from Chromium PPA... anyone else experience the same? Its very annoying because the first Chromium I installed right after Karmic install is quite unstable.

Pasdar
November 4th, 2009, 12:29 PM
So, in conclusion, Chrome is yet another browser that has attracted its own legion on fanboys that feel the need to evanglise about it, despite the fact that it is just a browser with not a single feature that would make anyone want to switch from firefox or opera.

In a nutshell?

Have you tried it? It really makes Firefox look like a beta product, even though chromium itself is in alpha. Opera is a nice in between (in terms of speed, design, etc), but there are compatibility issues with stuff on the web.

papangul
November 4th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for posting, I was not aware of many features of chrome

Apply brakes but don't stop, keep them coming, please!

koshatnik
November 4th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Have you tried it? It really makes Firefox look like a beta product, even though chromium itself is in alpha. Opera is a nice in between (in terms of speed, design, etc), but there are compatibility issues with stuff on the web.

Of course I've tried it. The entire experience was "meh". I don't see how it makes Firefox look like a beta product. I've used opera for years, and never had an issue with it. There is nothing in Chrome at all to get excited about. Its a browser with less functionality of some other ones. Sorry, but I find it hard to pop champagne corks about that.

Pasdar
November 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Of course I've tried it. The entire experience was "meh". I don't see how it makes Firefox look like a beta product. I've used opera for years, and never had an issue with it. There is nothing in Chrome at all to get excited about. Its a browser with less functionality of some other ones. Sorry, but I find it hard to pop champagne corks about that.

Its difficult to get used to the design alright... I hated the chrome design with a passion and refused to use anything other than firefox until I got really tired of the slow response time and flickering and $&(^*)&^^%#&^#$ of firefox... then I just installed chromium and decided I will get used to it because its a million times faster than firefox in doing everything... (ive even benchmarked Firefox, Chromium, Chrome, IE8 on Windows and Linux).

koshatnik
November 4th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Its difficult to get used to the design alright... I hated the chrome design with a passion and refused to use anything other than firefox until I got really tired of the slow response time and flickering and $&(^*)&^^%#&^#$ of firefox... then I just installed chromium and decided I will get used to it because its a million times faster than firefox in doing everything... (ive even benchmarked Firefox, Chromium, Chrome, IE8 on Windows and Linux).

I don't care about a few half seconds of speed. I guess its important to some people, my time isnt that precious. Opera is plenty fast for me.

coldReactive
November 4th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Thank you goddess!

Oh wait. Seriously though, no more. It's like you're trying to force us to go chromium almost.

mkvnmtr
November 4th, 2009, 03:03 PM
After seeing this thread I installed it on my 9.10 system. It is ok because I sometimes use more than one browser at a time but I found no no-script add-on thus for me it will be used very little.

ceciliaFX
November 4th, 2009, 03:19 PM

In a nutshell?
I feel the same way!

Love my Opera. It comes with everything I need and want. I tried out Chrome (portable) on my XP and it's ok. Nice to have if I need to check out pages I'm making.
FF on windows (portable again) works great and I love the plugin with the animated weather

but I use Notes, Speed Dial and have set up my Opera so it works fast and useful in windows/Ubuntu and i ain't changin' fer Nothin!!!!

HappinessNow
November 4th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for posting, I was not aware of many features of chrome
Apply brakes but don't stop, keep them coming, please!

Thank you goddess!

Oh wait. Seriously though, no more. It's like you're trying to force us to go chromium almost.

One for, one against :p

Honestly, I think the subject matter is covered for now and time to move on to other subject matter for new threads in the future.

I don't care about a few half seconds of speed. I guess its important to some people, my time isnt that precious. Opera is plenty fast for me.

I feel the same way!

Love my Opera. It comes with everything I need and want. I tried out Chrome (portable) on my XP and it's ok. Nice to have if I need to check out pages I'm making.
FF on windows (portable again) works great and I love the plugin with the animated weather

but I use Notes, Speed Dial and have set up my Opera so it works fast and useful in windows/Ubuntu and i ain't changin' fer Nothin!!!!

Gentlemen I agree with you both Opera is an outstanding Web Browser I used it for years as my default Web Browser in the past, just like I used the Firefox Web Browser as my default Web Browser also.

We are fortunate enough to have at least 3 good options (listed in random order):

1. Google Chrome/Chromium

2. Opera

3. Firefox

All 3 are fine Web Browsers, each has it's pros and cons and each is an excellent choice for anyone to use.

I simply choose to use Google Chrome/Chromium.

SomeGuyDude
November 4th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Five reasons Chromium won't be my default.

1) Its speed dial function is terrible.

2) Flash works only sporadically.

3) My userscripts don't work at all.

4) It has no ability to directly open files (as in, clicking on a download link downloads only, and I have to go into the directory via the filemanager to open it instead of being able to just select "open").

5) Incognito Mode doesn't actually work. Every site I visit there is in my history.

NOTE: I say this because I like Chromium a lot. It's fast, snappy, stable, and works in all the ways I wish Firefox would. But its shortcomings keep me from converting.

ivotron
November 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM
This. They get vimperator and I'm there.

Count one more in the vimperator club

Ylon
November 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
In my old time with Linux I'd love Phoenix.. meanwhile was switching back on Windows is that "firefox" appeared. Well, to me it just did look as IE with addons.

I can't honestly say I'd like Firefox, the only thing that I am interested in Firefox... didn't come with firefox, I talk about addons.

The best browser until now are (to me) Opera and Google Chrome (I use the EAR version (http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel).

I use Opera from 4.12 version, the fact that Opera exist on Linux helped me to stay with Linux, and end with switch backs on windows.

Ubu2009
November 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM

ding, ding we got a winner. Without add-ons Chrome is useless to me.

arnab_das
November 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM
http://coderrr.wordpress.com/2008/09/03/google-chrome-privacy-worse-than-you-think/

i hope people wouldnt want to use chrome after reading that.

HappinessNow
November 16th, 2009, 04:58 AM
ding, ding we got a winner. Without add-ons Chrome is useless to me.
...but it does have Add-ons! ding, dong :P

Mr. Picklesworth
November 16th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Five reasons Chromium won't be my default.

1) Its speed dial function is terrible.

2) Flash works only sporadically.

3) My userscripts don't work at all.

4) It has no ability to directly open files (as in, clicking on a download link downloads only, and I have to go into the directory via the filemanager to open it instead of being able to just select "open").

5) Incognito Mode doesn't actually work. Every site I visit there is in my history.

NOTE: I say this because I like Chromium a lot. It's fast, snappy, stable, and works in all the ways I wish Firefox would. But its shortcomings keep me from converting.

First of all, I'm happy that lots of people still like Firefox, beecause I love it and Mozilla :)

Still, I should point out that Greasemonkey is now awesome in Chromium. Browse to a greasemonkey script and it offers to install it. Greasemonkey scripts get managed under the same interface as all the other extensions!

I love the automaticness of Chromium's speed dial thingy, but I agree, it is flawed. I can't promote a certain page (eg: Feedly Home). The workaround is completely disabling a whole bunch until it appears and then pinning it.

So, stuff to be done, but the extensions are now plain beautifful. (They update silently in the background, too).

HappinessNow
November 16th, 2009, 10:23 AM
First of all, I'm happy that lots of people still like Firefox, beecause I love it and Mozilla :)

Still, I should point out that Greasemonkey is now awesome in Chromium. Browse to a greasemonkey script and it offers to install it. Greasemonkey scripts get managed under the same interface as all the other extensions!

I love the automaticness of Chromium's speed dial thingy, but I agree, it is flawed. I can't promote a certain page (eg: Feedly Home). The workaround is completely disabling a whole bunch until it appears and then pinning it.

So, stuff to be done, but the extensions are now plain beautifful. (They update silently in the background, too).

Awesome to hear Greasemonkey is working I have to give it a try.

koleoptero
November 16th, 2009, 12:56 PM
http://coderrr.wordpress.com/2008/09/03/google-chrome-privacy-worse-than-you-think/

i hope people wouldnt want to use chrome after reading that.

This and various other things have made me stop using chromium. I'm now using midori instead. I don't have anything against google, but having them know and store my life is something that makes me shiver.

t0p
November 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I've been thinking about using Chrome/Chromium/whatever it's called. But I have a couple of questions:

1. I have grave concerns about Google and privacy. In firefox I use the CustomizeGoogle add-on, which allows me to set privacy levels. Is there a Chrome/Chromium extension, or settings in Chrome/Chromium that will permit me to do the same?

2. I use the Gspace add-on in Firefox. This allows me to use a Gmail account's inbox as a storage drive. Can Chrome/Chromium do the same? (I'm guessing not, because I suspect Google don't want to encourage such use of Gmail inboxes. But maybe I will be pleasantly surprised?)

Both of these points are potential deal-breakers. If Chrome/Chromium cannot cater to my whims, I'll stick with Firefox. So, will Chrome/Chromium play nice?

As an aside: I've seen plenty of pictures of the Chrome/Chromium interface, and it looks quite nice. Probably take a little getting used to after years of Firefox use; but I don't really mind that too much. I'll tell you one browser interface that I hate: Microsoft Internet Explorer!!! Not long ago I installed a virtual XP in VirtualBox, and although I didn't install it to use online, I tried IE to see how it matched up to my memories of it: and it was horrible!! The thought of it makes me shudder! Really.

Actually, now I think of it, Google is my homepage on IE, and when I went there I saw a little message inviting me to install Chrome. I might do that, so I can try it out on my virtual XP. That'll give me a bit of a taster.

HappinessNow
November 18th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I've been thinking about using Chrome/Chromium/whatever it's called. But I have a couple of questions:

1. I have grave concerns about Google and privacy. In firefox I use the CustomizeGoogle add-on, which allows me to set privacy levels. Is there a Chrome/Chromium extension, or settings in Chrome/Chromium that will permit me to do the same?

2. I use the Gspace add-on in Firefox. This allows me to use a Gmail account's inbox as a storage drive. Can Chrome/Chromium do the same? (I'm guessing not, because I suspect Google don't want to encourage such use of Gmail inboxes. But maybe I will be pleasantly surprised?)

Both of these points are potential deal-breakers. If Chrome/Chromium cannot cater to my whims, I'll stick with Firefox. So, will Chrome/Chromium play nice?

As an aside: I've seen plenty of pictures of the Chrome/Chromium interface, and it looks quite nice. Probably take a little getting used to after years of Firefox use; but I don't really mind that too much. I'll tell you one browser interface that I hate: Microsoft Internet Explorer!!! Not long ago I installed a virtual XP in VirtualBox, and although I didn't install it to use online, I tried IE to see how it matched up to my memories of it: and it was horrible!! The thought of it makes me shudder! Really.

Actually, now I think of it, Google is my homepage on IE, and when I went there I saw a little message inviting me to install Chrome. I might do that, so I can try it out on my virtual XP. That'll give me a bit of a taster. For XP (any Windows) Google Chrome is really the only viable option to use.

OffHand
November 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM
For XP (any Windows) Google Chrome is really the only viable option to use.

lol... you forgot to add "for me" ;)

HappinessNow
November 18th, 2009, 08:20 AM
lol... you forgot to add "for me" ;)...for t0p (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=380385)

ganeshmallyap
November 18th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I installed chrome browser on my Karmic AMD64 desktop last week. Looked fairly good, but I did not see any noticeable performance improvements in comparison with firefox. But anyway, I liked the larger view area (due to less clutter on the menu bar) etc.

One more thing, while browsing in chrome with multiple tabs open, I noticed a difference that the task manager shows a separate process by name chrome for each of the tab instances. In case of firefox I saw only one process regardless of the number of tabs.

cutterjohn
November 22nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Well, back with 9.04 chromium didn't really seem any faster than firefox (noscript + tabmixplus + adblockplud mostly), however having tried Chromium again with 9.10 and ff 3.5.5 (plus mostly all of the same extensions as above) Chromium now seems to be MUCH faster than ff for some reason. (As a matter of fact I'm writing this with Chromium from the daily ppa, but I still miss my extensions too much to really consider using it.)

(Of course funny other thing too that I noticed when deciding to try turning on compiz/beryl again I noticed better OVERALL responsiveness, and more accurate responses of the UI/GNOME/kernel interactions. With compiz/beryl off those alerts seem to fire MUCH too quickly, e.g. half the time wanting to "force quit" an app almost right after I click the close button. Side note, I'm stuck with an ATI GPU + catalyst, so I've been a bit leery of anything that stresses linux graphically as catalyst has this unfortunate tendency to fallover or otherwise break things, e.g. suspend worked with compiz on, however it was NEVER able to resume until catalyst 9.8 or so...)

HappinessNow
November 23rd, 2009, 01:22 AM
(Of course funny other thing too that I noticed when deciding to try turning on compiz/beryl again I noticed better OVERALL responsiveness, and more accurate responses of the UI/GNOME/kernel interactions. With compiz/beryl off those alerts seem to fire MUCH too quickly, e.g. half the time wanting to "force quit" an app almost right after I click the close button. Side note, I'm stuck with an ATI GPU + catalyst, so I've been a bit leery of anything that stresses linux graphically as catalyst has this unfortunate tendency to fallover or otherwise break things, e.g. suspend worked with compiz on, however it was NEVER able to resume until catalyst 9.8 or so...)Very interesting.

ene_dene
December 10th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I use Chrome as my default browser for a month. It's superior to Firefox in two fundamental ways:
1. it's much faster
2. it's more secure

Also it's multitask so every tab uses another CPU.

Extensions are the only reason that I can imagine for someone to stay on Firefox, BUUUT now 99.9% of extensions that you have on Firefox now work in Google Chrome and in about a year I can't imagine anything that chrome will not have and it will be much more superior when using Google mail, applications, wave, documents...

Anyway I would highly recommend Google Chrome to everyone, try it for a week and then try to go back to Firefox.

Oh yes, the addons that I use: adblock, flash-block, gmail-notify, google-wave-notify, session-manager (it remembers opened pages, for example you can group it to news, linux news, sport...), google-translate page, html2pdf, wlofram alfa extension... And I there are 1000 more extensions, you just have to find what you like.

Isengrin
December 10th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Actually I don't like it. Too much fuss about a browser just beacause it's Google's.
I mean... I'll try to keep myself away from Google as much as I can, I don't like the power it's achieving so fast. xD </paranoid>

Also, Vimperator and OneManga Suscriber. :3

ene_dene
December 10th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Actually I don't like it. Too much fuss about a browser just beacause it's Google's.
I mean... I'll try to keep myself away from Google as much as I can, I don't like the power it's achieving so fast. xD </paranoid>

Also, Vimperator and OneManga Suscriber. :3
It's not "just because it's Google's", there are some real advantages of this browser as it's speed and security. It's also open source so they can't hide anything. Infact it's the most liberal browser, it asks you at the beginning if you want to use Bing as the alternate search engine although it's not in Googles interest. You can use it and have nothing to do with Google.

As for general opinion about Google, it's a valid concern when giving someone so much power.

HappinessNow
December 31st, 2009, 12:29 PM
I use Chrome as my default browser for a month. It's superior to Firefox in two fundamental ways:
1. it's much faster
2. it's more secure

Also it's multitask so every tab uses another CPU.

Extensions are the only reason that I can imagine for someone to stay on Firefox, BUUUT now 99.9% of extensions that you have on Firefox now work in Google Chrome and in about a year I can't imagine anything that chrome will not have and it will be much more superior when using Google mail, applications, wave, documents...

Anyway I would highly recommend Google Chrome to everyone, try it for a week and then try to go back to Firefox.

Oh yes, the addons that I use: adblock, flash-block, gmail-notify, google-wave-notify, session-manager (it remembers opened pages, for example you can group it to news, linux news, sport...), google-translate page, html2pdf, wlofram alfa extension... And I there are 1000 more extensions, you just have to find what you like.

Still have not returned to Firefox, but I do enjoying testing Minefield occasionally. :P

robgwin
January 5th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Does anyone else here have a problem with Chrome not focusing correctly when opened from another program? I thought this was a gnome desktop problem, but it works fine with FireFox.

This is what happens for me (on Karmic, Gnome, no Compiz running)

1. Set Chrome as default browser. Have at least one chrome window open, and maximized.
2. Switch to, say, Evolution, and click a link in an email.
3. The Chrome application button at the bottom of the screen starts blinking, and I need to click on it to bring Chrome to the front and see the page I requested.

But now...

4. Set FireFox as default browser. Have at least one FF window open, and maximized.
5. Switch to Evolution, click a link.
6. FF immediately comes to the front and takes the focus, with my new link in a new tab.

And it gets even more interesting...

7. Set Chrome as default again. Have a Chrome window open, but MINIMIZE it.
8. Switch to Evolution, click a link.
9. Chrome immediately maximizes AND takes the focus, as desired.

So the problem is that Chrome (and only Chrome) fails to take focus when it's already maximized and I click a link from another app -- which is 99.9% of the reason for setting my default browser in the first place.

(So though you might think this thread is not the right place for my question, I believe it's actually more pertinent to the title than all these debates about which browser is better in general!)

Does nobody else have this problem? Anybody know if there's something I can do to make Chrome focus properly? Then it would make a nice default browser. Until then it's just a nice browser.

Thanks,
rob

HappinessNow
January 5th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Does anyone else here have a problem with Chrome not focusing correctly when opened from another program? I thought this was a gnome desktop problem, but it works fine with FireFox.

1. Set Chrome as default browser. Have at least one chrome window open, and maximized.
3. The Chrome application button at the bottom of the screen starts blinking, and I need to click on it to bring Chrome to the front and see the page I requested.

But now...

4. Set FireFox as default browser. Have at least one FF window open, and maximized.
6. FF immediately comes to the front and takes the focus, with my new link in a new tab.

So the problem is that Chrome (and only Chrome) fails to take focus when it's already maximized and I click a link from another app -- which is 99.9% of the reason for setting my default browser in the first place.

(So though you might think this thread is not the right place for my question, I believe it's actually more pertinent to the title than all these debates about which browser is better in general!)

Does nobody else have this problem? Anybody know if there's something I can do to make Chrome focus properly? Then it would make a nice default browser. Until then it's just a nice browser.

Thanks,
robNope, I honestly have never experienced this problem.

Johnsie
January 5th, 2010, 05:33 PM
It may be a good browser, but it's also a good data collection tool for Google ;-) What? You thought they release web services and programs out of the goodness of their heart????

L4U
January 5th, 2010, 05:37 PM
And one reason why it shouldn't:

Is Google Turning Into Big Brother? (http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=5727509)
The Debut of Chrome, Google's New Browser, May Have Been Quiet for a Reason

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Business/chrome_bigbrother_080904_mn.jpg (http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=5727509)

del_diablo
January 5th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Ehm:
*Opera is faster
*Opera can open more tabs
*Opera also got script support
*Opera is stable
*Opera supports JS extensions
*Opera got a lot buildt in, which is nice
*Buildt in sync service
*GTK sucks, QT is epic win
*Themes? Ages ago!
*Its a tab browser!

ukripper
January 5th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Until Noscript extension ported on chromium, it is no go for me for chromium as my main browser. Although i use it just for youtube.

Read more details here on noscript forums. http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1676&start=30

Without noscript over the internet i feel as if I'm standing in a river surrounded by million crocs.

aeon.flux
January 5th, 2010, 06:23 PM
hi, im using google chrome almost from its first beta version(for windows) and i love it.
but i have 1 problem on ubuntu, just several themes are displayed correctly, all others have different color on main bar. for example green is blue, orange is pink and yellow is purple. can somebody help me with this?
i have latest chrome unstable version, and all versions did this on ubuntu 9.04 :(

im adding a screenshot for you to see, how it looks like when i apply gtk theme

MasterNetra
January 5th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Personally I'm satisfied with Firefox. Tried Opera in the past, didn't like it but that was a long time ago so I guess I will give it another run.

BigSilly
January 5th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Same here. I always end up back on Firefox. Chrome has proved no faster for me than FF, on either Linux or Windows, and the same with Opera. When I can tell the difference, I'll switch. :)

Pogeymanz
January 5th, 2010, 06:47 PM
So far it is impossible for NoScript or AdBlock type extensions to be written for Chrome (on purpose maybe?).

And don't link me to the AdBlock ripoff for Chrome. It loads all the ads but just hides them from the user seeing them. I want proper ad-blocking where it wont load them at all.

HappinessNow
January 5th, 2010, 09:45 PM
It may be a good browser, but it's also a good data collection tool for Google ;-) What? You thought they release web services and programs out of the goodness of their heart????I actually like all the supposed data collection, at least when I die some form of me will live on in the Google servers...each little piece of data captures a part of your soul? :P

kyle99
January 6th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Yeah, I doubt I'll ever use chrome. I tried it, and it was really no faster than firefox. Firefox also has more extensions and themes, so Chrome doesn't really offer me anything Firefox doesn't. Plus, I'm not to happy with me using a google browser...

koleoptero
January 6th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I actually like all the supposed data collection, at least when I die some form of me will live on in the Google servers...each little piece of data captures a part of your soul?

That's creepy man.

HappinessNow
January 6th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Yeah, I doubt I'll ever use chrome. I tried it, and it was really no faster than firefox. Firefox also has more extensions and themes, so Chrome doesn't really offer me anything Firefox doesn't. Plus, I'm not to happy with me using a google browser...funny I am actually more happy to use a Google Browser then a Mozilla Browser. :P

HappinessNow
January 6th, 2010, 01:29 AM
That's creepy man.
Some jokes can be...some people believe anytime you take a picture of them you capture a bit of their soul, kind of the same thought process...

user1397
January 6th, 2010, 02:12 AM
but after the latest Developers Build and the full integration of Google Chrome/Chromium Extensions; adopting Google Chrome/Chromium as your default Web Browser is simply a NO brainer!what no one seems to be talking is firefox 4 (http://mashable.com/2009/07/27/firefox-40/), which is heading towards the chrome look and feel, as long as with the speed.

then the real contest will begin...

sertse
January 6th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Ehm:
*Opera is faster
*Opera can open more tabs
*Opera also got script support
*Opera is stable
*Opera supports JS extensions
*Opera got a lot buildt in, which is nice
*Buildt in sync service
*GTK sucks, QT is epic win
*Themes? Ages ago!
*Its a tab browser!

I love Opera very much but:

Opera 10.5 *pre-alpha* is faster than Chrome on most benchmarking services, but it's nowhere stable. Opera stable is slower than Chrome. Your personal experience does not trump the experiences of 10000's of other users and various benchmarking services.

Open more tabs, because Chrome making each tab a separate process aka, Chrome tabs crash one at a time, Opera brings down all tabs. Thus it's just a different approach, each with it's own pros and cons. Neither is "better"

Theming I find it hard to see it as a positive, Chrome (and Firefox) integrate much more. Opera though it uses Qt menus etc, still has that metallic skin. Otherwise, all browsers have themes now. "Ages ago" is not a valid reason, since we live in the present, and use what available now.

GTK sucks is not a valid reason, considering the Linux world is mostly divided evenly between GTK and QT, and your single opinion does not trump that of 10000's of users.

So we are down to script support, JS extensions. Opera perhaps is more powerful, but it's also a lot more ad-hoc and complicated, not a simple official "add extensions" site, click and done. Thus, come down to personal preference, neither is better.

The main reasons I use Opera that the areas I said comes down to personal preference, I usually like Opera's. I also acknowledge Opera's sync service which is just awesome, and more built in is nice and integrated. (Extension authors sometimes but no idea of what makes a good interface, too many/few options are often provided),

That all said, my main browser is Midori. A proper real gtk webkit web browser (all gtk, firefox uses xul to fake gtk with quirks, Chrome isn't too real either -different scrollbar), light, has enough features for what I need (I'm not fussy tbh - basic browsing, adblock, speed dial, easy way to turn on/off scripts/plugins etc - unlike Epiphany, which despite lacking in every area vs Midori, gets acknowledgement cause it's the gnome browser?) and active devs who are around to listen. But that's another story.....

phawnex
January 6th, 2010, 02:24 AM
agreed. ive been an avid user of the firefox browser when i was using windows xp 4 years ago, then i bought an imac. i love safari. but i wanted to check out google chrome but it was still developing when i looked, not its developed in a beta version for osx.

do any of you know how it runs on linux? does it run any better then mozilla?

btw @ ubuntuman001, the screen shots for firefox 4 look amazing. hopefully they leave a choice of whether the tabs go on the top or bottom.

HappinessNow
January 6th, 2010, 06:31 AM
what no one seems to be talking is firefox 4 (http://mashable.com/2009/07/27/firefox-40/), which is heading towards the chrome look and feel, as long as with the speed.

then the real contest will begin...
Who needs firefox when you have Google Chrome,...seems like they are just trying to play catch up, Firefox has become like the iPhone sooo last decade. :lolflag:

Nerd King
January 6th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Firefox is still winning for me because everything works for it and it has tree style tabs. I can't live without them now.

Zlatan
January 6th, 2010, 09:31 AM
anyway Epiphany is much more simple and better:)

del_diablo
January 6th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Opera 10.5 *pre-alpha* is faster than Chrome on most benchmarking services, but it's nowhere stable. Opera stable is slower than Chrome. Your personal experience does not trump the experiences of 10000's of other users and various benchmarking services.

You forget why chrome is so fast, its uses as much resources as possible to achieve it. It is clearly evident when you compare them on an older computer. Which again makes Opera faster, since it does not attempt to eat your computer for the performance.

But I do agree Opera got annoying devs <.<

Resu
January 6th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Midori.

docus
January 6th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I find Midori to be just as fast as Chrome (although I haven't benchmarked it), and it does (almost - see below) everything I need. I like the snappy feel of it, the simplicity and the customisability.

There are rare occasions when I find a page it can't render properly, so then I fire up Chrome/Firefox/Epiphany/Opera.

Also, I haven't worked out how to get apt-url working on Midori, which is needed for downloading apps from GetDeb.

But all in all, Midori's a really great browser that's well worth taking for a spin.

~sHyLoCk~
January 6th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks to 今幸福, chromium has become my default browser for now. Let's see what opera 10.5 has to offer. ;-)

EDIT: Just compiled the latest 10.5 devel build, well it's still a work in progress, the fonts look hideous. Waiting for things to become a bit more polished.

HappinessNow
January 6th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks to 今幸福, chromium has become my default browser for now. Let's see what opera 10.5 has to offer.
;-)

Good Welcome! I am always glad to help. :P

Thanks to 今幸福, chromium has become my default browser for now. Let's see what opera 10.5 has to offer. ;-)

EDIT: Just compiled the latest 10.5 devel build, well it's still a work in progress, the fonts look hideous. Waiting for things to become a bit more polished.There is a reason why Opera is the 5th most popular Web browser:

1. IE
2. firefox
3. Google Chrome
4. Safari
5. Opera

docus
January 6th, 2010, 01:46 PM
There is a reason why Opera is the 5th most popular Web browser:

1. IE
2. firefox
3. Google Chrome
4. Safari
5. Opera

Popularity does not necessarily = quality. From that list, I would choose Opera ahead of IE, Firefox, Safari and Chrome.

HappinessNow
January 6th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Popularity does not necessarily = quality. From that list, I would choose Opera ahead of IE, Firefox, Safari and Chrome.You are right, Opera is an outstanding web browser, I would like to see Opera develop their own Operating System based on BSD.

that said I choose to use Google Chrome.

chucky chuckaluck
January 6th, 2010, 03:03 PM
There is a reason why Opera is the 5th most popular Web browser:

1. IE
2. firefox
3. Google Chrome
4. Safari
5. Opera

what's the reason?

Linuxforall
January 6th, 2010, 03:45 PM
what's the reason?

Yes I am curious as well.

Linuxforall
January 6th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Popularity does not necessarily = quality. From that list, I would choose Opera ahead of IE, Firefox, Safari and Chrome.

So would I, in fact I have been running Opera since version 2x when it used to be paid and even more obscure.

BigCityCat
January 6th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Here is an exact clone of Google's browser. Adblock can be added and there is no spyware. That's the great thing about open source. Just make a copy and redistribute it. Thats a good reason not to use google.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

judge jankum
January 7th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Is Chrome/Iron suppose to be better or faster than FF? or just something different?

k64
January 7th, 2010, 04:52 AM

But now...

Thanks,
rob

I just run Chrome OS and not have any problems with Chrome!

alket
January 7th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Chrome is better than Firefox for
- Zooming images and web sites (compare it with firefox and see)
- Speed
- Spped
- Speed

Firefox is better than Chrome for
- Downloading ?

HappinessNow
January 7th, 2010, 03:33 PM
- Speed
- Spped
- Speed

- Downloading ?I like Opera best for downloading.

konqueror7
January 7th, 2010, 04:26 PM
- Speed
- Spped
- Speed

- Downloading ?

firefox extensibility can offer also, but it gets too bloated. if it to set chrome at this stage, then no, firefox will do. and it should be chromium to be the candidate rather than chrome.

purgatori
January 11th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I just switched to Google Chrome as my primary browser. I was an early adopter of the browser, and tested it periodically even before it was available for Linux without having to use Wine, and it has never failed to impress me.

A couple of things always held me back from using Chrome full-time, however, most notably: vim-like keybindings. Vimperator has spoilt me rotten, you see, and having to point and click my way through web pages is extremely frustrating and cumbersome. Now that the vimlike-smoozie extension is available though, I have a keyboard-driven Chrome, just like I always wanted :) Smoozie hasn't quite attained vimperator-like greatness just yet, but it has most of essential bindings. Additionally, Chrome now seems to respect tiling mode in Wmii instead of rebelling against it and insisting on floating around somewhat-annoyingly, and with GTK theme integration better than ever, it doesn't look the least bit out of place on my desktop.

All of this means that I no longer have any good reasons *not* to use Google Chrome. Bye-bye Firefox, you've been (mostly) good to me :(

xuCGC002
January 11th, 2010, 03:15 PM
So far it is impossible for NoScript or AdBlock type extensions to be written for Chrome (on purpose maybe?).

And don't link me to the AdBlock ripoff for Chrome. It loads all the ads but just hides them from the user seeing them. I want proper ad-blocking where it wont load them at all.
This, privacy, and lack of a decent WYSIWYG editor is why i don't use Chrome. I did however like the feature where dragging a tab away from the bar will open itself in a new window. Other than that, the speed isn't noticeable, Flash is even worse than Firefox, and It's overall not that fun of an experience. At least, not as fun as some people seem to be exaggerating.

purgatori
January 11th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Scratch that. Chrome seems to be stalling on just about every page I try to load, so it's back to Firefox. :(

HappinessNow
January 11th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Scratch that. Chrome seems to be stalling on just about every page I try to load, so it's back to Firefox. :(Use the beta instead of the Dev version and the stall should go away.

on another topic:

*NOTE: TAG ABUSE REPORTED TO STAFF

purgatori
January 11th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Use the beta instead of the Dev version and the stall should go away.

on another topic:

*NOTE: TAG ABUSE REPORTED TO STAFF

I tried that, and still the same result :(

What's this about 'tag abuse'?

docus
January 11th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Midori is my favourite browser but I've somehow borked it, I think I've been using too many PPAs and have made a conflict somewhere...

So I'm using Minefield (Firefox 3.7) instead and it's running smooth and fast.

I tried Chrome and although it is a fantastic browser I just found there was something about Google that made me feel uneasy. But maybe I'm just a paranoid loony.

All your data are belong to us...

barnex
January 11th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Chrome quickly became my default browser, just because it's so wicked fast.

HappinessNow
January 12th, 2010, 05:20 AM
What's this about 'tag abuse'?not by you, the staff have edited it out.

Impulser
January 12th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Google Chrome will be a great browser and especially for any Linux distro because they are creating a notebook operation system which is based off Linux which mean that many features being put into the Chrome browser used on the notebook will also be used on the one being release for Linux right now and they will focus on making it faster, stable and more secure for us Linux user. So I definitely suggest switch as it a very good browser for Linux and it only in beta form.

HappinessNow
January 12th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Google Chrome will be a great browser and especially for any Linux distro because they are creating a notebook operation system which is based off Linux which mean that many features being put into the Chrome browser used on the notebook will also be used on the one being release for Linux right now and they will focus on making it faster, stable and more secure for us Linux user. So I definitely suggest switch as it a very good browser for Linux and it only in beta form.Strongly agree, obviously. :P

ventper
February 1st, 2010, 07:30 AM
been usin chromium from the ppa on launchpad,

an´ if anyone who contributed code to it is reading this..
THANK YA!!

case in point, unable to watch a flick on vlc(WMAP,unsupported), or mediaplayer or dragon OR mediaplyr on gf´s winXp, but it opened an ran within Chromium!

chromium is jus sexeh! ff looks lame, opera *yawns*, midori.. maybe someday i´ll give ya a spin.

chromeOS via hexxeh.net (http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/)

psychosibes
February 11th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I tried using Chrome as my browser for several weeks and I like the minimalist approach. The problem i had was that i kept losing audio and had to close the browser and re-open. If i could sort that issue then it would be back as my default.

arnab_das
February 11th, 2010, 10:22 PM
i love google chrome now, especially when i have finally found the youtube autobuffer and ad remover for chrome! :) that was the only thing which constantly kept me away from chrome (and privacy i found, is a meaningless term, one is always exposed, there's no point in hiding).

btw how do u like the google chrome 5 (if u havent updated ubuntu for a while, do it now, google chrome 5 is already out there)? personally, i dont like 'type here to search' text on the address bar, looks clumsy.

gletob
February 11th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Reasons to use Firefox and not Chrome.

Thousands of add-ons

/thread

arnab_das
February 11th, 2010, 11:10 PM

Thousands of add-ons

/thread

kindly name the add on you find in firefox and dont find in google chrome.

i agree chrome doesnt have extensions as extensive as firefox add ons, but the list is continually expanding. as of now chrome has around 2200 extensions and expanding.

gletob
February 12th, 2010, 12:14 AM
kindly name the add on you find in firefox and dont find in google chrome.

i agree chrome doesnt have extensions as extensive as firefox add ons, but the list is continually expanding. as of now chrome has around 2200 extensions and expanding.

The Delicious toolbar
DownThemAll! on Windows.
Skype calling extension.

arnab_das
February 12th, 2010, 01:00 AM
The Delicious toolbar
DownThemAll! on Windows.
Skype calling extension.

try shareaholic for chrome. also there are at least 4-5 dedicated delicious extensions for google chrome.
downthemall has no substitute but google chrome's deafult downloader is quite fast.
as for skype try taxophone, gizmocall etc.

Gallahhad
February 12th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Only one reason I stay with Firefox instead of Chrome or Opera.

Ad Block Plus.

Not an ad hider, an ad blocker. I don't have to have host lists. I don't have to config this, and modify that. Install my add-on, click on my subscription choice. Done.

ElSlunko
February 12th, 2010, 01:38 AM

Thousands of add-ons

/thread

I use FF, but Chrome has over 2,000 addons. So maybe you mean 10s of thousands?

arnab_das
February 12th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Only one reason I stay with Firefox instead of Chrome or Opera.

Ad Block Plus.

Not an ad hider, an ad blocker. I don't have to have host lists. I don't have to config this, and modify that. Install my add-on, click on my subscription choice. Done.

then let me tell u something mate. there is adblock extension for google chrome. and since i have used firefox for more than 4 years now i can safely say adblock for google chrome is at least a million times better than adblock for firefox. why? i havent had a single pop up ever on google chrome and yes it magnificently hides the ads as well. i dont even have facebook ads now! in firefox, inspite of having adblock plus, i used to get quite a few ad pop ups regularly.

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 11:55 AM
then let me tell u something mate. there is adblock extension for google chrome. and since i have used firefox for more than 4 years now i can safely say adblock for google chrome is at least a million times better than adblock for firefox. why? i havent had a single pop up ever on google chrome and yes it magnificently hides the ads as well. i dont even have facebook ads now! in firefox, inspite of having adblock plus, i used to get quite a few ad pop ups regularly.

Same here. Google Chrome simply rocks!

skymera
February 12th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I used Chromium on Ubuntu for a long time.

The new extensions are great. The whole reason I use Firefox is for adblockers and StumbleUpon.

Chromium had the same adblocker i used in Firefox (AdBlock) and it worked rather well.
Stumble doesn't have a toolbar yet, it's a tacky bar that drops down and doesn't function nearly as well. But i could live with it.

I liked the multi-process idea, when Flash crashed (which it never did) i would only lose that tab, really good.

Chromium was blazingly fast. Started from cold almost instantaneously (Spelling? xD)

But the memory requirements were ridiculous.
Having about 10 tabs open used about 300MB RAM+ compared to Firefox's 100MB~ max.
The most i saw Chromium use was shy of 600MB. For this reason, i still use Firefox.

giarca
February 12th, 2010, 03:30 PM
1 reason why Chromium should be your default browser instead Google Chrome: license and eula.
From Chromium terms and condition:
http://code.google.com/intl/it-IT/chromium/terms.html
From Google Chrome eula:
http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/eula_text.html
Point 8 and 16 for examples could be harmless but I prefer to not accept that kind of conditions. Am I wrong? :)

arnab_das
February 12th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I used Chromium on Ubuntu for a long time.

The new extensions are great. The whole reason I use Firefox is for adblockers and StumbleUpon.

Chromium had the same adblocker i used in Firefox (AdBlock) and it worked rather well.
Stumble doesn't have a toolbar yet, it's a tacky bar that drops down and doesn't function nearly as well. But i could live with it.

I liked the multi-process idea, when Flash crashed (which it never did) i would only lose that tab, really good.

Chromium was blazingly fast. Started from cold almost instantaneously (Spelling? xD)

But the memory requirements were ridiculous.
Having about 10 tabs open used about 300MB RAM+ compared to Firefox's 100MB~ max.
The most i saw Chromium use was shy of 600MB. For this reason, i still use Firefox.

question. i am currently using google chrome. will my experience be different if i start using chromium?

scouser73
February 12th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I've used Google Chrome a couple of times, mostly to see what all the fuss was about and to be fair, it's a speedy browser and Google have done well for themselves. Yesterday, after installing it again I went to the BBC iPlayer and flash crashed also the same thing happened with ITV Player but YouTube worked, which I found strange.

I am and always was happy with Firefox and it works straight away, I just think that Google Chrome isn't ready for primetime as of yet.

Pogeymanz
February 12th, 2010, 05:24 PM

As a few people have mentioned, the ad block for Chrome is NOT blocking ads. It HIDES them from you while still loading them from the net.

It's not a huge deal, but it is NOT the same as Firefox's AdBlock+.

Nothing can replace Firefox's NoScript+AdBlock+Ghostery+ Fine-tuned Cookie Settings.

Chrome has a lamer adblock, no noscript, no ghostery and cookies are either all or nothing.

Chrome is great for people who just leave everything default and want their pages to load slightly quicker.

giarca
February 12th, 2010, 11:13 PM
question. i am currently using google chrome. will my experience be different if i start using chromium?

Not at all using the same channel. ;)

Yvan300
February 12th, 2010, 11:52 PM
It is already my default browser !!

Gallahhad
February 13th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Our anecdotal experiences are not the same.
For me the Ad-Hider in Chrome was not meeting my expectations.
No offense was ever intended, and my apologies for what ever I may have written that may have been taken in a negative context.

I prefer an Ad-Blocker, and on those rare occasions when I do experience an unwanted ad, for me the solution has been to r-click on the ad, and add it to the block list.

In the end, use what works for you, Chrome and Ad-Sweep for you, Firefox and Ad-Block+ for me. We both get our desired result.

arnab_das
February 13th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Our anecdotal experiences are not the same.
For me the Ad-Hider in Chrome was not meeting my expectations.
No offense was ever intended, and my apologies for what ever I may have written that may have been taken in a negative context.

I prefer an Ad-Blocker, and on those rare occasions when I do experience an unwanted ad, for me the solution has been to r-click on the ad, and add it to the block list.

In the end, use what works for you, Chrome and Ad-Sweep for you, Firefox and Ad-Block+ for me. We both get our desired result.

+1 well said! :D

gymophett
February 13th, 2010, 01:35 AM
When I use Chrome I always get paranoid they are receiving my info.
Even if I tell them not to.
Maybe it's just me. O.O

arnab_das
February 13th, 2010, 02:14 AM
When I use Chrome I always get paranoid they are receiving my info.
Even if I tell them not to.
Maybe it's just me. O.O

to be honest, a few months back, i was very much anti google chrome. i had even posted a thread on google chrome's privacy (the lack of it that is :P ).

the thing is, however, one isnt really private on the internet. u can go to great lengths to maintain privacy but usually, too much of privacy can affect ur experience of the browser/feature. hence, i had to give in. google chrome has terrible privacy holes, but hey, it does have some damn good features to make up for it. :)

sxmaxchine
February 13th, 2010, 02:37 AM
they have some good reasons but i still prefere opera as my main browser, but i definetely prefer chrome to firefox.

isee
March 25th, 2010, 01:30 AM
To put it bluntly I don't trust Google. Seems a lot of what Firefox extensions block is Google crap, so why would I run a browser from a company that my other browser spends a good deal of time blocking?

Opera doesn't load all the sites I need, so it's out. Epiphany sure loads fast, but no Bookmarks Toolbar, and the bookmarks are displayed alphabetically, whereas I like to keep my bookmarks in a particular order.