PDA

View Full Version : boost thread static link problem

j_goldie
November 3rd, 2009, 10:45 AM
Hi,
I'm using Karmic version x64, boost lib version 1.38
When building boost.thread project with flag Boost_USE_STATIC_LIBS ON, I get the errors listed below, while if I build them with
Boost_USE_STATIC_LIBS OFF, everything works fine. I mean not only builds, but it executes as it should.
Btw, the Karmic is fresh install (no upgrade). CMake, boost 1.38 and g++ are from ubuntu repos. Everything worked just fine with Jaunty (with boost 1.35 actually). Is this the boost problem, or something else?
To reproduce the above problem, just take the code and CMakeLists.txt listed below. I should note that the same problem persists with boost 1.40 in repo too.
best regards,
j_goldie

// main.cpp
#include <boost/thread/thread.hpp>
#include <iostream>

void hello()
{
std::cout << "Hello world, I'm a thread!" << std::endl;
}

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
boost::thread thrd(&hello);
thrd.join();
return 0;
}
This is the CMakeLists.txt

cmake_minimum_required (VERSION 2.6)
PROJECT(boost_text)
set(Boost_USE_STATIC_LIBS ON)
set(Boost_USE_MULTITHREADED ON)
find_package( Boost COMPONENTS thread)
INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES(${Boost_INCLUDE_DIRS})
ADD_EXECUTABLE( probni MACOSX_BUNDLE main.cpp )
TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(probni ${Boost_LIBRARIES})
And Finally, here are the error messages:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.1/../../../../lib/libboost_thread-mt.a(thread.o): In function `T.1030':
(.text+0x1b8): undefined reference to `pthread_key_create'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.1/../../../../lib/libboost_thread-mt.a(thread.o): In function `boost::thread::detach()':
(.text+0x76d): undefined reference to `pthread_detach'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.1/../../../../lib/libboost_thread-mt.a(thread.o): In function `thread_proxy':
(.text+0xbd0): undefined reference to `pthread_setspecific'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.1/../../../../lib/libboost_thread-mt.a(thread.o): In function `thread_proxy':
(.text+0xbf5): undefined reference to `pthread_setspecific'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.1/../../../../lib/libboost_thread-mt.a(thread.o): In function `boost::thread::start_thread()':
(.text+0xdf0): undefined reference to `pthread_create'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.1/../../../../lib/libboost_thread-mt.a(thread.o): In function `boost::(anonymous namespace)::make_external_thread_data()':
(.text+0x1071): undefined reference to `pthread_setspecific'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.1/../../../../lib/libboost_thread-mt.a(thread.o): In function `boost::thread::timed_join(boost::posix_time::ptim e const&)':
(.text+0x1811): undefined reference to `pthread_join'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.1/../../../../lib/libboost_thread-mt.a(thread.o): In function `boost::thread::join()':
(.text+0x1c69): undefined reference to `pthread_join'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.1/../../../../lib/libboost_thread-mt.a(thread.o): In function `boost::detail::(anonymous namespace)::create_current_thread_tls_key()':
(.text+0x10b): undefined reference to `pthread_key_create'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.1/../../../../lib/libboost_thread-mt.a(thread.o): In function `boost::detail::get_current_thread_data()':
(.text+0x224): undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.1/../../../../lib/libboost_thread-mt.a(thread.o): In function `boost::detail::set_current_thread_data(boost::det ail::thread_data_base*)':
(.text+0x474): undefined reference to `pthread_setspecific'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.1/../../../../lib/libboost_thread-mt.a(once.o): In function `boost::detail::get_once_per_thread_epoch()':
(.text+0xc): undefined reference to `pthread_once'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.1/../../../../lib/libboost_thread-mt.a(once.o): In function `boost::detail::get_once_per_thread_epoch()':
(.text+0x17): undefined reference to `pthread_getspecific'
(.text+0x42): undefined reference to `pthread_setspecific'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.1/../../../../lib/libboost_thread-mt.a(once.o): In function `create_epoch_tss_key':
(.text+0x6b): undefined reference to `pthread_key_create'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [Console/console_claw] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Console/CMakeFiles/console_claw.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

dwhitney67
November 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
I do not have access to an x64 system, much less with Karmic (Ubuntu 9.10).

However, by examining the link errors that you reported, it would be my guess that you need to link with the pthread library. On the command line or within a typical Makefile, you would need to specify -lpthread.

j_goldie
November 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I know, but the problem still remains. I mean, it worked on jaunty, now it doesn't with Karmic. As I said, the dynamic linking works like it should, while the static fails, and that's what puzzles me. The cmake version is the same, 2.6.4. What I'm trying to say is that the makefile was the same in Jaunty and in Karmic.
any thoughts?
best regards,
j_goldie

weishigoname
December 24th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I meet the some problem too,and I do not kown how ?

Some Penguin
December 24th, 2009, 11:13 AM
The obvious question is whether you actually have a static version of the pthread library... perhaps you only have the dynamically linked library.