PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Are these sound problems with 9.10 going to be fixed?

dminoz
November 3rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
I'm one of the many who have lost all sound with 9.10. Everything worked perfectly with the previous version of Ubuntu, but it now insists on not seeing any of my four audio devices.

If I could easily go back to 8.04 (or whatever the number was, I forget already...), I most certainly would.

I've read through every post I can find on 9.10 and broken sound, and nothing I've tried has worked.

So, my question is this: is this problem likely to be fixed in an upcoming system update? In which case I won't drive myself stupid by trying to fix it myself...

/dminoz

goldshirt9
November 3rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
as with all new software eventually :(

dminoz
November 3rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
...eventually :(

You mean I shouldn't bother staying up late tonight? :shock:

goldshirt9
November 3rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
thats up to you.:p

not everyone has problems.

i dont know of a release of any software system that hasnt had bugs

Mark Phelps
November 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
I'm one of the many who have lost all sound with 9.10. Everything worked perfectly with the previous version of Ubuntu, but it now insists on not seeing any of my four audio devices. .. /dminoz

Don't know the details, and haven't read the posts (as sound works fine on my box) ... but I had similar problems with an older upgrade and found that OSS fixed it.

You could check the 4front tech website (www.opensound.com) to see if your card/chip is one they support.

Topsiho
November 3rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
Just to add my two (Euro) cents: I have found that the audio level was set to zero, and restored sound by setting it higher using the loudspeaker icon in the upper gnome panel just left of the envelope for Evolution.

But I don't want to be silly.

Fact is that my TV card, using tvtime, still produces not a whisper, after trying all kinds of audio settings that it has. In Holland, I use PAL, but audio settings for DK, I and BG (there is no NL) all have not the wanted effect. If someone can tell me? It used to work in Jaunty, but I quite forgot the settings, and did a very clean install (/home formatted to ext4), so they are lost ... (the .files I did not back up).

Topsiho

CarnivorouZ
November 7th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Hopefully it gets fixed soon, I am another suffering from the deafness of a 9.10 upgrade. Quite a few work arounds available online regarding ALSA and other options but none have worked so far.

ORF1000
November 8th, 2009, 07:12 AM
My intel-hd laptop sound card evaporated completely the first time I hooked up a C-media USB headphone. Now I can only use the headphone. Happened soon after upgrading to 9.10. I need the internal hardware back!