PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help installing Ubuntu on a 2g flash drive.

Andrew Buchinger
November 3rd, 2009, 05:30 AM
I currently have a TON of 2 gig flash drives all over my house, but none that top 2 gig. I was wondering if there is a way to slim Ubuntu 9.10 so that it will fit on this drive and also run virtual box and a few other light utilities.

My goal is to use it to boot on any or as many machines as possible and have them function. I also want the ability to mount the existing hard drive as a RAW access for virtual box, to check if password resets worked before wasting time on full system reboots.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be ecstatic, because I am new to Linux and I am just starting to see it's potential in both versatility and community support.

Thanks a lot,
Bush

teward
November 3rd, 2009, 05:33 AM
hm... nope, don't know of any way to slim Ubuntu down to just a 2GB flash drive. You could try going and getting an 8GB drive... you can get them for something like $20 nowadays.

Andrew Buchinger
November 3rd, 2009, 07:00 AM
I was hoping since a 2g flash drive is only a few 100 bytes off of what it wanted for space to install I could strip drivers somehow and get away with it. I really just need it to run a generic driver set so I can do a few things.

I may just buy an enclosure for my old laptops hard drive. The onboard video driver on it died long ago and it's still sitting in my closet. I would then have a 20 or 30g USB device for use.

I would then still need help setting Ubuntu to booting with generic driver sets live VESA so I don't have to worry about crossing multiple platforms. Or will ubuntu auto detect new devices at boot and retool itself to the new hardware? (I would still prefer the VESA video thanks to the nvidia / ati issues out right now.)

Mighty_Joe
November 3rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Masonx (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7837059), which is a Ubuntu spinoff using the LXDE window manager, will install on a 1GB flash drive. Of course, with that small of a footprint you won't have all the Ubuntu bells and whistles, but you can install the ones you need.
If you have a decent amount of RAM, you can skip the swap partition and save some space. I run Ubuntu 9.04 off a flash drive on my work laptop with 2GB of RAM and have never ran out of memory.