PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nVIDIA Problems, resolution, visual effects, etc...

doublen675
November 3rd, 2009, 04:51 AM
Ok, I installed Ubuntu 9.10 as a dual boot setup alongside Windows XP. My pc isn't too old, here are the specs:

AMD Athalon X2 Dual-core processor 3800x (2GHz)
3 GB of RAM
320 GB HD
nVidia GeForce 6100 Graphics card (Possibly the Problem)

My resolution will not go beyond 800x600, I have tried the terminal commands like:
xrandr -q
and
xrandr -s 1280x1024

No joy. So, is my graphics card too out of date to get a proper driver for? I can live without the visual effects, but I would like the resolution higher.
When I go to: system/administration/hardware drivers I get absolutely nothing, meaning there are no proprietary drivers listed. When I booted from the CD it found 3 different drivers I could install, but now nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Kareeser
November 3rd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Give this a try:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
sudo shutdown -r now

doublen675
November 3rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
tried that now, no luck. I downloaded the driver from the Nvidia website and when I try to install it says something about a "Root" ???? I am not computer dumb, but this is my first experience with a Linux based os.

presence1960
November 3rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Try using Envyng to get your Nvidia driver. You can install envyng-core and envyng-qt from Synaptic Package Manager or through terminal:

sudo apt-get install envyng-core
&

sudo apt-get install envyng-qt

You can then access Envyng through Applications > System Tools > EnvyNG

or through terminal
sudo envyng -t

doublen675
November 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
I will try it....Standby

*edit*

Tried it and here's what I got...

presence1960
November 3rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
I am not sure under which repository Envy is, but I would make sure Medibuntu is enabled.

doublen675
November 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
Tried to download envyng-core from softpedia.com and here's what I get... Second image is when I try to do it through the software center by copying the link and pasting it in firefox.

doublen675
November 3rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
I am not sure under which repository Envy is, but I would make sure Medibuntu is enabled.

You are the man! That may have fixed it. I downloaded and installed Medibuntu and when I checked to see if any drivers were listed it showed me the ones needed for my Nvidia Graphics card. Downloading now....Slow internet...I will update this thread asap.

THANKS!

doublen675
November 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
OK, so I downloaded and installed the Recommended driver. Restarted Ubuntu and when I got to the login screen, the resolution now looks spot on. However, when I log in, my screen goes black and I get the "Out of Range" error you usually get when you use the wrong resolution. Only problem is it will not revert to a working resolution and I have no idea how to fix it.

doublen675
November 3rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Bump):P

doublen675
November 4th, 2009, 08:09 AM
So...Anybody?

presence1960
November 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Sorry that I am out of ideas. I had one but it won't work in 9.10. I booted into recovery mode but xfix is no longer an option in 9.10 recovery mode. Someone will come along who is more knowledgeable in the graphic area then I am.

But using 9.10 your python should be 2.6.4- see my screenshot. That is what one of your screenshots are complaining about. Have you updated your system from System > Administration > Update Manager?

doublen675
November 5th, 2009, 05:55 AM
That was the next thing on my list. While I was updating my Nvidia driver, my update manager popped up and had a huge list of updates that I needed to download. I figured I would do the driver install, restart and then get on with the updates while I was playing around with the graphics. So it is probably missing a bunch of updates which may be causing the issue. I am wondering if there is a way to revert the system back to before the driver install, kind of like how you can system restore windows. ????? Hmm...

Yamakasi
November 5th, 2009, 05:51 PM
this is my first contact whit ubuntu(linux) so im new here and dont know a lot about it.few days ago installed 9.10.I use Nvidia geforce4 420GO and decide to instal nvidia-glx-96, after reboot got black screen so i reinstall 9.10 from cd.Now im look for way to backup system before install graphic card.
I found program called simple backup config/restore in Ubuntu Software Center but cant install them, and other one called partimage in Synaptic Package.I have tried partimage but get error when tried to unmount partition.
"umount: /: device is busy.
(In some cases useful info about processes that use
the device is found by lsof( 8 ) or fuser(1))"
Anyone know how to fix it?
p.s sorry for my bad english but i never lern this language before