PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to fix boot drive and sequence

monreveur
November 3rd, 2009, 03:59 AM
I have 3 hard drives in my computer:

IDE/PATA drive as Channel 0 Master (1 EXT3 partition, bootable, empty) (/dev/sdc1)
SATA drive as Channel 2 Master (1 NTFS partition, bootable, Windows XP) (/dev/sda1)
SATA drive as Channel 3 Master, partitioned as follows:

EXT3 partition, bootable, empty (/dev/sdb1)
Extended partition (/dev/sdb2)

EXT4 partion, not bootable, clean install of Karmic Koala (/dev/sdb10)
Swap space (/dev/sdb11)
Swap space (/dev/sdb5)
EXT3 partition, not bootable, Jaunty Jackalope (no data) (/dev/sdb6)
Swap space (/dev/sdb7)
EXT3 partition, not bootable, Karmic Koala upgrade from Jaunty Jackalope (/dev/sdb8)
Swap space (/dev/sdb9)

I have the BIOS set to boot the above drives in this order: 3, 2, 1

Originally I had Windows XP on drive 1. It is now empty but I'm fairly certain that GRUB won't load if I take drive 1 out of the computer. At least this was the case at one point so I keep it. I'd rather remove it if possible.

I'm not sure how drive 3 got partitioned so oddly. The boot files (including menu.lst) are being read off /dev/sdb6. As usual, any update, upgrade, or clean install fails to work until I boot into /dev/sdb6 and fix menu.lst and copy the boot files. (Except I haven't even got to see the clean install because Jaunty won't read EXT4. I didn't see when or if I was given the option to use EXT4. Actually, I only did the clean install due to the several seconds that grub now turns off the video while booting /dev/sdb8. It seemed broken.) I really only want to keep /dev/sdb8 and it's matching swap space.

In summary:

Remove the IDE drive completely.
Delete all but /dev/sdb8 and it's corresponding swap space.
I'd even like to fix the drive boot sequence in the BIOS.