PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] tty1 is displayed before the GUI starts?

:-(
November 3rd, 2009, 03:55 AM
Alright, I (a kind of (but not really) Ubuntu savvy person) have a slight but annoying problem. When I boot Ubuntu 9.10, it goes to the normal splash screen, but when it's done loading, the system randomly goes to tty1 and hangs there for about 5-15 seconds. Then it goes to the normal GUI, and it all works normally (except that there is a pop before any noise, but I'll fix that by going around Google, I just haven't bothered yet). In case it helps, my laptop is a Gateway MX3701: http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Q106/Bishop/2905896Rcl2.shtml

Dasda
November 3rd, 2009, 05:25 AM
I have same problem. My ttyl screen last about 2-5 secs though.

November 3rd, 2009, 11:32 PM
Bump...

pastalavista
November 3rd, 2009, 11:44 PM
Mine was doing pretty much the same thing. The sound still 'pops' when activating or shutting down but the audio in general works fine except, in some certain flash players, it's a little scratchy sounding. But after an update to xsplash (not usplash any more) the 'tty1' just flashes on screen for half a second before the actual splash screen starts.

November 4th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I've tried updating xsplash, but it is already up to date.

pastalavista
November 4th, 2009, 12:17 AM
In the System-> Admin menu, open Software Sources and on the 'Updates' tab check the "proposed" and "backports" boxes. It was after I added those repos that I got the xsplash updates.

November 4th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks, but I tried that and it didn't work. Did you do anything other than that?

pastalavista
November 4th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks, but I tried that and it didn't work. Did you do anything other than that?
no, but then the rest of your system is probably very different from mine other than the GPU.

good-luck

November 4th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Thanks.

November 4th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Bump... Anybody else having this problem?

November 4th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Just in case anybody is interested, you can solve the popping noise by typing

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.confinto the terminal, and changing
options snd-hda-intel power_save= to 0 (for me, it was 10). All credit goes to lonniehenry (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=113395) for this!

falconindy
November 4th, 2009, 02:42 AM
tty1 showing up is essentially normal behavior. I suspect that xsplash is tied to the boot procedure and terminates when run level 3 finishes and control should be handed off to run level 5 (GUI). However, at this point, the GUI isn't quite ready so you see the text based login console until gdm or whatever other graphical login manager is ready.

If I'm right, there's a "fix", but I won't make any assurances that you won't break something else by doing this. Go into /etc/rc5.d/ and you should see a bunch of numbered files. The numbers are essentially the order the files load in for that run level. If you lower the number associated with the file tied to your login manager (gdm, xdm, etc), you might be able to finish loading it sooner thereby reducing or eliminating the delay.

edit: ignore the above... just threw karmic on a VM and things have changed somewhat...

more edit: digging around /etc/init.d shows that xsplash is halted when init encounters the script to run a login manager. Without a fair bit of digging, I'll just say this: the fix is more ram and/or cpu cycles.

*shrug*

BSD style inits are so much easier to deal with....

November 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Well, my computer has randomly stopped with the going to tty1. I think it may have had something to do with the xsplash update.

ublintu
November 17th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Hi,
I have the same problem: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1315876

blegs38552
December 9th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Got it too. Have 2 GB RAM so I doubt that memory is the problem.

presence1960
December 9th, 2009, 05:34 AM
The popping noise I used to have. I found a fix on this forum. Open a terminal and run
gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

scroll down to the last 2 lines and change them to read this:

Power down HDA controllers after 0 idle seconds
options snd-hda-intel power_save=0 power_save_controller=N

Please note this works if you have an HDA audio card. Make sure to uncomment those lines as well as changing the values. Once I did this never got the popping noise again.