PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] I want my Linux back!

Dullstar
November 3rd, 2009, 01:32 AM
So, 9.10's use of Grub2 fried my Windows XP. So we installed Windows 7, which fried the chance of installing Ubuntu again.

Help. All I can do as of now is try a LiveCD of 8.04, and if that doesn't work, I will be forced to move to a different distribution. :(

Before anyone mentions Wubi, I tried it... several times.

beeema
November 3rd, 2009, 01:48 AM
I don't really understand your problem?
Just install grub from the 9.04 CD and you should be able to boot linux again.
Do you have a separate /home-partition?
Do you need access to your linux partition?

andrewabc
November 3rd, 2009, 03:38 AM
GRUB 2 should not have fried your winxp. It's possible it didn't recognize it and you no longer see it listed, but your winxp would most likely still be intact and useable (install 9.04 would have put older grub that should have recognized it).
But now that you installed win7 I have no idea, as I have no idea what you installed to what partition.

Dullstar
November 5th, 2009, 04:48 AM
I will explain what the problem was (in detail). Windows XP was hosed practically, as Grub2 could tell it was there, but it wouldn't boot it. Linux would boot, but if I needed only Linux I would (obviously) just wipe Windows. Needless to say though, Windows 7 is the worst Windows yet, so we had to downgrade back to XP to get it usable...

Dullstar
November 6th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I don't really understand your problem?
Just install grub from the 9.04 CD and you should be able to boot linux again.
Do you have a separate /home-partition?
Do you need access to your linux partition?

Just out of curiosity, how does one do that? I might need to in case I ever wind up with GRUB2 again!

Edit: a quick google search brought this thread up: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351