PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10 fresh install dual boot vista after graphics update

ZA2PT4Safety
November 3rd, 2009, 12:36 AM
Hi

This must be the biggest load of hogwash and it is like Ubuntu is following in MSīs footsteps (as much as I hate to say it). Why release4 something that does not work. Fresh install on dual boot with V...ta and install went well until the Update driver part. Now on boot I get 1. Black screen 2. Logo 3. Flashing curser 4. Black screen and caps lock button flashing. Its on a Toshiba Satelite A300 with ATI graphics card.

What does the keyboard have to do with graphics driver only you can tell me. I followed one of the threads here and changed some file and managed to get it booted, but with really bad graphics. Updated the driver again and bang, same as listed before.

Can anyone just tell me (a newbie to Ubuntu except for 9.04 and raving about it, what to do to get it working?

Thanks

Larry

PS. There seems to be more wrong with 9.10 than W7!!! Not a great show is it?

mcooke1
November 3rd, 2009, 02:31 AM
I done a clean install on a Dell and only had minor problems with wireless which I resolved quickly by using the forum I have found 9.10 is an improvement on 9.04. Well done Ubuntu.

ZA2PT4Safety
November 3rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
As I said in my post, not a good show. Surely on a release there shouldnīt be any problems, not even minor ones.

Looking through the threads here, it is not only me having the problem.

Can somebody please help, and I do not think that "getting a better laptop" is a solution!

Larry

Mark Phelps
November 3rd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Don't know exactly how bad your graphics situation is, but if you read the link below, it provides details on how to remove ATI restricted drivers and get the open source drivers back -- that should at least get you decent 2D graphics:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

And I agree "buy a new machine" is a snide, useless response. IF we tell everyone having problems to go buy a new machine, then we're basically driving everyone away into Windows 7 -- because THAT is what comes on new machines!

ZA2PT4Safety
November 4th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Hi Mark

Thanks for the explanation. It seems I must just wait for the appropriate drivers for now and not worry about compiz and 3D graphics for now.

After 3 fresh installs I do not feel like trying again and my ATI card is listed as 2D only for the open source drivers. Hows that for bad luck. By the way, after your response I will stick to dual boot until the right drivers are available. What is the best way to find out when they are be available?

Cheers

Larry