PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or does everyone want Linux to break.

guriinii
November 3rd, 2009, 12:24 AM
It seems as though, whenever I'm at my laptop, I want it to break so that I can get full use of Ubuntu. Although this is probably illogical, I am unsatisfied when everything works.

I was wondering, as I'm still relatively new to Ubuntu and the wonder that is Terminal, is this normal?

hoppipolla
November 3rd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Totally!! I do this, I am the kind of user who will start a MILLION things at once until the whole system slows to a crawl lol

But see Linux does all this stuff so well anyway, it usually doesn't even break into a sweat :)

Also, it does depend how long you've been using it for, the longer you use it (I find) the more you are happy when things "just work" :)

Spike-X
November 3rd, 2009, 12:33 AM
I'm quite happy with it not breaking. I want to spend my time using my computer, not fixing it. That's why I stopped using Windows in the first place.

NightwishFan
November 3rd, 2009, 12:33 AM
I like to push my hardware to the limits, mainly for benchmark purposes. For example: I have a friend who has an older computer, so I set up Ubuntu to boot using only 400mb of my RAM and a single core of my processor. I could test the responsiveness of the new release and played with the swapiness option to see what had best performance. Oddly enough, having the kernel swap aggressively actually improved performance. On a system with more memory, better performance was achived keeping pages in RAM of course. /geekspeek

As for breaking my system, I doubt I could do so without being root. ;]

FuturePilot
November 3rd, 2009, 12:37 AM
I tend to like when things work. I want to be productive on my computer, not spend all day fixing it.

Though, there is a time and a place for breakage ;)

Regenweald
November 3rd, 2009, 12:38 AM
It seems as though, whenever I'm at my laptop, I want it to break so that I can get full use of Ubuntu. Although this is probably illogical, I am unsatisfied when everything works.

I was wondering, as I'm still relatively new to Ubuntu and the wonder that is Terminal, is this normal?

If that is the kind of user you are, you might want to check out the Lucid Lynx testing forum. Great place for testing, learning and breakage :)

guriinii
November 3rd, 2009, 12:38 AM
Also, it does depend how long you've been using it for, the longer you use it (I find) the more you are happy when things "just work" :)

Well I'm still new and enjoy fixing something I have absolutely no idea how to fix. Terrifying and fun.

JillSwift
November 3rd, 2009, 12:39 AM
I find I'm like that with new software of any sort. I think it's because it's part of how I learn.

The feeling passes, though.

Mike'sHardLinux
November 3rd, 2009, 12:39 AM
I think that is the hacker attitude, which is what I also have. The most fun comes from making things work, learning how to make things work, and work better. Once I have it all set up and running beautifully, I am a little sad.....seriously.

This is partly why I don't share the feeling that Linux is for everyone. Some of the reasons I like Linux, are the same reasons I would argue that it is not for everybody. I like to tinker with things; not everybody does.

scout4536
November 3rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
I swear the new Ubuntu saying should be......."Ubuntu, Just Works". Been hearing "it just works" around the forums lately. I must say when I switched to Ubuntu last month I will never regret it. I know I will never go back to windows now.

guriinii
November 3rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
If that is the kind of user you are, you might want to check out the Lucid Lynx testing forum. Great place for testing, learning and breakage :)

Cheers, I'll have a look. Sounds interesting, especially "learning and breakage" :D

guriinii
November 3rd, 2009, 12:46 AM
I must say when I switched to Ubuntu last month I will never regret it. I know I will never go back to windows now.

Me too. Windows is the devil!

Crunchy the Headcrab
November 3rd, 2009, 12:59 AM
And yet if you never use Windows there are things that you will miss out on. The same could be said for Mac. It's nice to be able to have choices, or in your case alternatives though. I'm glad you like Ubuntu.

dragos240
November 3rd, 2009, 01:05 AM

The terminal is your most useful tool. Embrace it.

MorphingDragon
November 3rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
Although this is probably illogical, I am unsatisfied when everything works.

That was my disappointment since changing to Mac OSX Tiger! I use Linux as a hobby. :popcorn:

Squonk07
November 3rd, 2009, 07:20 AM
I find I use the Terminal more and more. I'm a GUI lab rat so I'll usually gravitate to it over CLI, but there are times when the Terminal is so much more efficient than clicking through a bunch of screens.

I've got a bit of the hacker in me. I'm already testing Lucid; I just hate it when my OS is stable and all set up. I just have to break it! Some people value stability over all else and don't like to tinker. In some applications I agree (e.g. I have a dedicated music production rig that doesn't get used for much else, and stability is key), but for day-to-day machines, I say that's what backups were made for.

Knowing how to fix stuff (or whom to ask, like the fine people of this forum) helps. Thanks, guys. ;)

praveesh
November 3rd, 2009, 07:22 AM
Hehe . Me too . But not when there are guests or friends in the home . That will make their impression about Ubuntu bad

ctrlmd
November 3rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
nope i prefer spend my time using it not fixing it

guriinii
November 3rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
That was my disappointment since changing to Mac OSX Tiger! I use Linux as a hobby. :popcorn:
I think Linux is very quickly becoming my new hobby. I love it!

1111peoy
November 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
The real question is "what to use linux/ubuntu for? hmmm..".

Peronally I have used Ubuntu and other linux distros some years ago and it was fun to fix things and make stuff to run via winex and codega. But I guess I just loosed the intrest of digging into operating system and fix stuff.

I use Windows Xp for everything now, but I love to talk about linux things, I havent found any real reason to use linux I guess, so thats why Im using win 100 % of my time now and it works very well!

By the way: Hello again ubuntu users, this is my new account, I've been here for many years but never really logged in and forgot my last user info.

Twitch6000
November 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
I'm quite happy with it not breaking. I want to spend my time using my computer, not fixing it. That's why I stopped using Windows in the first place.

^what he said

schauerlich
November 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
I don't have to want it to break, it does it all on its own.

tgalati4
November 3rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
I modified a version of gpsdrive for a local mapping/announcement application. I wanted to test it using a USB-GPS puck. I loaded 7 instances of the program (all trying to grab the GPS information at the same time). Processes were ~400. When I loaded the 8th, things turned weird--~4,000 processes! So I killed the last instance and waited a few minutes. Processes back down to ~400. Ran it this way for 48 hours. No hangs or memory leaks. Oh, this was compiled on a Dapper machine (2.6.something) and running on Damn Small Linux (2.4.something) on a VIA-based, 1 GHz mini pc.

So yes, it is normal to want to break things in linux.

NCLI
November 3rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
Cheers, I'll have a look. Sounds interesting, especially "learning and breakage" :D

You'll be most welcome :)
The Lucid cycle really starts around November 5th though, and doesn't pick up pace 'till a little later, but it'll be fun :popcorn:

Naiki Muliaina
November 3rd, 2009, 10:39 PM
I have developed a bordem for Linux recently due to this....

When i used XP i was worried about viruses and firewalls. though i confess i didnt understand them. I was ( / still am) an average computer user. But there was something about not knowing where that next mean virus comes from..... Was kinda exciting.. Like always fighting off a threat...

I tried some of the early Linux's, Mandriva was one of the first to actually get my attention though. It chewed up and spat out several of my old USB modems, but it did get my laptop working after XP snuffed it.

I tried Ubuntu, Gentoo, Debian, Fedora, stuff kept breaking though. There was always something niggley that didnt work right, that needed to be fixed.

Then Ubuntu hit Hardy, this was my full transference to Linux. Even as Beta, Hardy really did just work for me. It was incredible! My PC just didnt break! By the time i was getting close to Intrepid's release i was like, OMG, i havent broken my PC once in months! (notice 'I', I am dim, and do break PC's regularly!). Well this was a big thing for me, upgraded to Intrepid, didnt notice much difference over Hardy, everything still worked fine.

Well, i didnt want to leave Ubuntu now, it had become comfy slippers. I didnt want to leave it. So i started making my own re spins, made a few CD's with different window managers and filers on. Played with Gnome till i broke it, tried KDE, tried E17, Fluxbox, Openbox, etc etc.

I got bored....

I bounced between every distro and its dog for a few months (burnt about 50 CD's for different distros). Many felt the same old linux, just in different ways for different purposes. Which is awesome! But Ubuntu felt right for me... So i returned...

Eventually got to Jaunty and stopped playing about like that as Jaunty worked perfect and was soo fast.

So now where am i.... Its been months scince i broke my PC again. I had brief problems installing Karmic (fixed by burning a new CD at slowest speed and re installing). I havent broken anything yet. Not to keen on Software Center but i understand its still being developed etc. Havent had a virus in years, havent scanned my PC for bugs in years, havent had a total software failure and lost stuff in years.....

I am bored....

I thought 'I knows, ill grab Windows 7, that will be a laugh, i bet thats broken to heck!'.... But im told its not.. I look to XP with the now knowledge that i can flick on a limited user account and stop OMG lots of bugs and stuff.... Suddenly MS stuff doesnt feel as gung ho as it used too...

I could wander Distros again but i will end up back here...

Damn i wish Karmic was the most broken release ever created in the world of Linux....

guriinii i am with you.. Lets run to the Lucid Lynx download page and see how badly we can spazz our PC's out!

bonfire89
November 3rd, 2009, 11:44 PM
if you want it to break....

.... you're nuts. lol :P

if bored, develop something, or improve it. heh

SomeGuyDude
November 3rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
Linux users tend to be tinkerers. If it ain't broke, break it and then fix it.

t0p
November 3rd, 2009, 11:51 PM
I don't want Ubuntu to break. I like it when stuff just works. Anyway, I don't need stuff to break to give me an excuse to get under the hood. I like trying out new things: for instance I set up exim4 so I can send email from the command line and via my gmail account. No real need to do that (though I can see it could be useful) - I just like making stuff work.

That's one of the great things about Ubuntu/Linux: there's absolutely loads of stuff you can reconfigure or generally mess with, without killing the system.

stinger30au
November 4th, 2009, 12:43 AM
i'm quite happy with it not breaking. I want to spend my time using my computer, not fixing it. That's why i stopped using windows in the first place.

+1

Zoot7
November 4th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Linux users tend to be tinkerers. If it ain't broke, break it and then fix it.
Or if it ain't broke, fix it until it is! ;)

dragos240
November 4th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Or if it ain't broke, fix it until it is! ;)
That's what I do!