PDA

View Full Version : Inkscape artwork

gashcr
November 2nd, 2009, 10:08 PM
Hi, I was bored, so I decided to play a while with Inkscape. I wanted to know how much I was able to do, and ended with something kind of nice... at least that's what I think... I would love to hear your opinion about it :D. It would be great if somebody else share their 100% inkscape work here, and make some kind of gallery :D

Best regards

Bruce H
November 3rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
That's really nice! Did you start from a photo, or is this all hand drawn?

JillSwift
November 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
That's all Inkscape?

That's more than just "nice". I'm impressed, and I think it's lovely.

BuffaloX
November 3rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
Wow that's amazing. :D

What version of inkscape are you using, because mine can't do anything like that, or maybe it's my mouse? :p

My avatar was made with inkscape.

Starlight
November 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM
I have one thing, but it's not as impressive as what you made :p It's a Cthulhux, a mix between Tux and Cthulhu :p

gashcr
November 24th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback :D

It's hand drawn based upon a photo (well... mouse drawn :p, I need one of these wacom's... jaja ). So, no bitmap tracing. 100% inkscape, the version in the repos.

I love that Cthulhux :D, Lovecraft would be delighted!

I'm almost done with a new one, I'll post it here ASAD. This time, wallpaper style.

Starlight
November 24th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I'm glad you like it ^_^ I'd love to see your new wallpaper :)

legolas_w
November 24th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Amazing.
Thanks for sharing.

aaaantoine
November 24th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Hi, I was bored, so I decided to play a while with Inkscape. I wanted to know how much I was able to do, and ended with something kind of nice... at least that's what I think... I would love to hear your opinion about it :D. It would be great if somebody else share their 100% inkscape work here, and make some kind of gallery :D

Best regards

This is fantastic!

I still have much to learn regarding photorealistic art...

gashcr
November 26th, 2009, 06:16 AM
As promised, here is my new work. The original image was a Mercedes Benz add featuring Zhang Ziyi, so all creative credit goes to the creator of that picture. I just tried to make a digital reproduction of such picture. I think I made some improvements over my first attempt with Inkscape, so, what do you think?

PD. A friend asked me to make her a portrait like this, so probably that would be my next post...

Next time from that, it will be a completely original artwork, since I'm feeling more comfortable with inkscape now :D

gashcr
November 26th, 2009, 06:18 AM
JAJA, forgot to insert it :P

MasterNetra
November 26th, 2009, 07:08 AM

What version of inkscape are you using, because mine can't do anything like that, or maybe it's my mouse? :p

My avatar was made with inkscape.

Skillful art comes from skillful artist. Inkscape, Gimp/Photoshop, and the like are nothing more then tools that can make the task of creation easier and faster but they don't replace skill or imagination.

Nimless
November 26th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Amazing work! I can't believe you're doing it with Inkscape and mouse :P

gashcr
November 26th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Amazing work! I can't believe you're doing it with Inkscape and mouse :P

Well... it took me a loooot of time, not because of inkscape... but the mouse. Inkscape is actually an amazing piece of software. But things would definitely be faster with a grapics tablet...

cdwillis
November 26th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Wow! I am seriously impressed. I just started playing around with Inkscape because I want to help create icons, but I can't wrap my head around it. You have some serious skills.

quinnten83
November 26th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Dude,
time for you to start writing tutorials.
I demand to know the skills employed in such accomplished vector creations. I demand I tell you!!!

RichardLinx
November 26th, 2009, 09:33 AM
That's some very impressive artwork. It's even more impressive that you did it with a mouse, you really should invest in a wacom tablet!

quinnten83
November 26th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Gosh Darn It!!
I am still demanding!!!

No srsly,
I really want to know, I haven't managed to use inkscape for anything other than simple icon creation and even that is difficult because I don't understand all the tools, and every new version of Inkscape has a boatload of new tools to confuse my donkey more...

natedawg
November 26th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Thats some quality art! I use inkscape to design websites and it works great. I have also made a couple portrait pictures but they were flat...I can't seem to master blending/blurring

BuffaloX
November 26th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Wow isn't she sweet? that's even prettier than the first one. I hope you soon get your Wacom, so you don't have to deal with the awkwardness of painting with a mouse.

You should have a site for your art, but you probably won't find it hard to get work with skills like that either way, some people sell art on the internet. Yours is as good as any I've seen.

Skillful art comes from skillful artist. Inkscape, Gimp/Photoshop, and the like are nothing more then tools that can make the task of creation easier and faster but they don't replace skill or imagination.

I was joking.
Too bad there isn't demand for unimaginative skilless artists, because if there was, I think I would have a real good chance there.

Actually I think I could do about half the new drawing gashcr just posted.
The right half.

gashcr
November 26th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I'm pretty happy to see that you like it :D

quinnten83 and natedawg: I could try to explain in a little tutorial how to create those blendings. I must warn you, however, that everything I know I've learned from try and mistake :p, so my aproaches are not necesarily the most apropiate. I can host it in a local free blog, so as soon as I have it ready, I'll post it here.

If you have some specific question, I'll be glad to give a hand within my possibilities, as there's still too much for me to learn.

gashcr
November 28th, 2009, 06:52 AM
So, I just finished a new one. This is a friend of mine: Maria Elena. She wanted me to work a portrait from a picture she shot at job :P, that's the reason of the amount of blue and purple (screen glare, with beach background :) )

Even though the hair was a terrible thing to do (thank god I added more ram to my box...) I think the result is nice (6) What do you think?

Frak
November 28th, 2009, 08:06 AM
So, I just finished a new one. This is a friend of mine: Maria Elena. She wanted me to work a portrait from a picture she shot at job :P, that's the reason of the amount of blue and purple (screen glare, with beach background :) )

Even though the hair was a terrible thing to do (thank god I added more ram to my box...) I think the result is nice (6) What do you think?
1. Get Adobe Illustrator
2. Build a portfolio
3. Submit said portfolio to possible clients.
4. ???
5. Profit!

gashcr
November 28th, 2009, 08:20 AM
1. Get Adobe Illustrator
2. Build a portfolio
3. Submit said portfolio to possible clients.
4. ???
5. Profit!

jajajaja, could be.. I have no background in design though, and everything I've posted is being more a hobbist work... so it's pretty hard I'll be doing it :p

However, I appreciate the meaning behind the idea, thanks!! :D

Frak
November 28th, 2009, 08:28 AM
jajajaja, could be.. I have no background in design though, and everything I've posted is being more a hobbist work... so it's pretty hard I'll be doing it :p

However, I appreciate the meaning behind the idea, thanks!! :D
Talent will beat out professionals any day in the design market. I can come in with multiple degrees showing my knowhow of whatever, but if you come in with fantastic designs and great following, you'll be hired over the guy with a bunch of fancy papers.

Just saying, if you really work to improve your talent and understanding, you could have a good job on your hands.

gashcr
November 28th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Talent will beat out professionals any day in the design market. I can come in with multiple degrees showing my knowhow of whatever, but if you come in with fantastic designs and great following, you'll be hired over the guy with a bunch of fancy papers.

Just saying, if you really work to improve your talent and understanding, you could have a good job on your hands.

Well, maybe it would be a good idea... I need to polish some (ok.. a lot) of rough edges, but maybe if I work hard on it, I can come up with something.

Thanks a lot, you put me to think...

Khakilang
November 28th, 2009, 08:50 AM
All I can say is wow. All this while I thought Corel Draw can only do it. Can't wait to try.

renkinjutsu
November 28th, 2009, 08:58 AM
gtk-recordmydesktop

please? D;

--

Also, is there a blown up copy of your first image (or the original svg)? I'd like to use it as my wallpaper, unless you want to keep the svg to yourself. It's okay, since you own in, you're the creator.

edit: It's sooo good, it hardly even looks like vector art!

ElSlunko
November 28th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Awesome work and great to see you're accomplishing it in Inkscape. Goes to show you that fundamentals go beyond your online tutorial & copy cat approach everyone thinks the "best" software can only provide towards art.

gashcr
November 28th, 2009, 04:57 PM
gtk-recordmydesktop

please? D;

--

Also, is there a blown up copy of your first image (or the original svg)? I'd like to use it as my wallpaper, unless you want to keep the svg to yourself. It's okay, since you own in, you're the creator.

edit: It's sooo good, it hardly even looks like vector art!

I don't think I'll be recording it... I would then need to edit like 40-80 hours of video :P

But give me your e-mail, I have no problem with sharing the originals

autonomy
November 28th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I still haven't learned to make the first image with Inkscape.

gletob
November 29th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Wow. That's amazing artwork. Hope you get a Wacom tablet soon so your ideas can fly.

This is about as far as I go with Inkscape

http://i50.tinypic.com/2mgtut1.png

MaxIBoy
November 29th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Simple sketch from History class made entirely by scribbling. (Had to compress the SVG with Gzip to fit the size requirements. I am also attaching a PNG export.)

gashcr
December 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Ok, as promised, here is some new artwork. This one is my first 100% original piece :D. It is a character from a book a friend of mine is writting, named Lagos. I wanted to create a portrait of him for my friend, so here it is.

Hope you like it :D

Exodist
December 10th, 2009, 10:00 PM

LOL Think my Ink Scape is broken also.. All I get are the circles and rectangles.. lol

gashcr
December 11th, 2009, 12:49 AM
LOL Think my Ink Scape is broken also.. All I get are the circles and rectangles.. lol

Well... 0.47 is broken!! Cannot work with text :(

Exodist
December 11th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Well... 0.47 is broken!! Cannot work with text :(

Text works on mine. But I am fairly lost when using it. I guess I just need to set down and try simple things at first and even download some files made in Inkscape for a tutorial.

gashcr
December 11th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Text works on mine. But I am fairly lost when using it. I guess I just need to set down and try simple things at first and even download some files made in Inkscape for a tutorial.

http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/

This is like the inkscape bible... online :P

It covers almost everything, with a lot of examples :)

natrixnatrix89
December 11th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Is there a site where I could learn using inkscape like you do? What I saw is just awesome and amazing.

gashcr
December 11th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Is there a site where I could learn using inkscape like you do? What I saw is just awesome and amazing.

Thank you, I'm glad you like my work :)

Actually... most of it is pretty basic, I really don't know a lot of tools. I'd say 98% of it is done with free figures made with the bezier tool, layered and blended to create some visual effect... mostly like making a real painting ( If you ask me, yes, I like to paint :P ). I'm working on a tutorial to make such blends that way, but I have some other things, so it's going slowly... Besides, I want to make it pretty clear and complete, and making sure I'll be using the best tools in each case. So, stay tunned :P.

murderslastcrow
December 11th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Wow, fantastic work you guys! I still tend to just make cartoony stuff with InkScape, keep all the painting for GIMP. But this is certainly intriguing.

Just shows that, so far as functionality goes, these tools are perfectly adequate compared to their commercial counterparts. File compatibility is the only real issue I can see.

gashcr
December 11th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Interesting enough... I cannot make anything with GIMP :P. I'll need to learn a pair of tricks in GIMP to complete some works... but that'll be when I start taking some photos :)

tonybeccar
December 12th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Excellent artwork here! Hey does inkscape run slow for any of you guys or is it just me? Do you have really good computers? I find inkscape really slow compared to, for example corel draw.. any tweaks? Thanks!

gashcr
December 12th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Excellent artwork here! Hey does inkscape run slow for any of you guys or is it just me? Do you have really good computers? I find inkscape really slow compared to, for example corel draw.. any tweaks? Thanks!

It got sluggish sometimes when using paths with lots of nodes (like.. making hair, for example) but it's easy to understand since that process is pretty intensive, as well as areas with a good amount of blur. But with simple things is works pretty fast on me, and I don't have a lot of muscle... Athlon X2 4200+, 4GB 667Mhz, Radeon X1550 512MB. Not tooooo old, but is getting some age already.

Exodist
December 12th, 2009, 03:12 AM
http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/

This is like the inkscape bible... online :P

It covers almost everything, with a lot of examples :)
I so just bookmarked that.. LOL

BTW, here is some of the artwork I have been working on the past few days..

gashcr
December 12th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I so just bookmarked that.. LOL

BTW, here is some of the artwork I have been working on the past few days..

How dare you tell me you need to learn??!! JAJA, man, that's pretty good!! :D

gashcr
December 14th, 2009, 03:17 AM
I posted some original artwork in deviantart. I began a collection in an effort to resemble part of the national identity of countries around the world. The first piece is here:

http://gashcr.deviantart.com/art/Digital-Folklore-Costa-Rica-146689477

As you can see... that's the one of my country :p

Tell me if you want your country in the collection, either here or in the comments in deviantart.

Hope you like it :D

PD. If someone wants the print... the money would be very useful to me :P jaja.

SaintDanBert
December 14th, 2009, 03:37 AM
It's okay, since you own in, you're the creator.

Take a look at the Creative Commons "license" for your art.
These are too good (1) to not share, and (2) to not protect.
see http://creativecommons.org/choose/

~~~ 0;-Dan

gashcr
December 14th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Take a look at the Creative Commons "license" for your art.
These are too good (1) to not share, and (2) to not protect.
see http://creativecommons.org/choose/

~~~ 0;-Dan

Sorry... but I didn't get what you meant...

gashcr
December 19th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Finished a new one :P. This one was asked from my friend Pamela.

CC-non commercial-non derivative

Hope you like it :)

autonomy
December 19th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Yeah, that's nice!

Shibblet
December 19th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I had to throw my artwork into the ring.

gashcr
December 19th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I had to throw my artwork into the ring.

Yeah, this is what I was specting! I want a community gallery here :D. Really good job :)

gashcr
December 24th, 2009, 05:04 AM

I just uploaded the source for this one. If someone is interested, you can download here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/325147202/elena.svg

Have fun :D

Exodist
December 24th, 2009, 05:21 AM
All I can say is wow. All this while I thought Corel Draw can only do it. Can't wait to try.
Inkscape, GIMP and Blender are far more powerful then even most Open Source Software users give them credit for.

gashcr
December 24th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Inkscape, GIMP and Blender are far more powerful then even most Open Source Software users give them credit for.

So right about that. People tend to think that Open=Underpowered. I cannot imagine what could be Inkscape be able to do when 1.0 launches...

gashcr
December 31st, 2009, 06:24 AM
hey guys! finished a new girl in my collection to celebrate new year. This is really worth to take a look at. Download at will. I'm pretty happy with it :D. As usual, Inkscape 0.47 was the tool. Check it out here:

http://gashcr.deviantart.com/art/Kem-at-the-Lagoon-148647761

or in my blog, wich is the link in my signature :D

Have a nice 2010 :).

Methuselah
December 31st, 2009, 10:19 AM
Wow gashcr, you're really talented.
It's always awesome to see what artistic people can do with these programs.

gashcr
December 31st, 2009, 05:55 PM
Wow gashcr, you're really talented.
It's always awesome to see what artistic people can do with these programs.

Thanks a lot. Would like some ideas for wallpapers to you people. What would you like to have in your screens? :P

gashcr
January 3rd, 2010, 01:24 AM
Well, i received some great tips from a deviantart guy, and decided to create a second version of the Ubuntu Borealis Wallpaper. Give it a look. It's in 1920x1080, CC-BY-SA license. So have fun! :D

Exodist
January 3rd, 2010, 02:02 AM
Well, i received some great tips from a deviantart guy, and decided to create a second version of the Ubuntu Borealis Wallpaper. Give it a look. It's in 1920x1080, CC-BY-SA license. So have fun! :D
I really like that.. A+

gashcr
January 3rd, 2010, 03:01 AM
I really like that.. A+

Checked your deviantions, really good posts :)